What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th February 2013, 01:57 AM   #81
dmag is offline dmag  United States
diyAudio Member

Im using a Maggie 9303 built with the "GabeV" mods to drive a pair of CHP-70's in the" till-2 70 "
enclosures and .5mh/10w filters.
For use in my dining room which is about 12x12, gives a sound that is much better than the system has a right to have.
Cant wait to build a set of Woden Aveburys for my Mac 240
Old 26th February 2013, 08:48 AM   #82
wily is offline wily  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

anywone tried the vintage sony V-FET 4650 (30 watts) or 5650 (60 watts) amps.
The were build round 1974 and i still amased how the sound.

I am playing with these and i use an HD Dune Max and scan speak reference monitors.
I am very happy with these amps. The are cheap and have an tubelike sound, warm but still detailed sound with very good soundstage depth and wide.

You can buy them for about 150$
Old 24th January 2014, 06:38 AM   #83
Abszero is offline Abszero  United States
diyAudio Member

Recently built with Alpair 12p in small reflex cabinets. ( Mark Audio design)
I am using a prototype PSE amplifier using the russian dhp 4 P1L triode connected. I am very happy with the sound. I played them for about 30 hours now. Gorgeous sound playing jazz, classical. For more details you can visit my blog at simplepleasuretubeamps | Thermionic Tubes and Sound Revelations .
Bought too much baltic birch And I built another pair of cabinets for 12p. Whoever is interested in the US Let me know. They are not finished.
Best,
Radu
Old 24th January 2014, 10:24 AM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abszero View Post
Recently built with Alpair 12p in small reflex cabinets. ( Mark Audio design)
I am using a prototype PSE amplifier using the russian dhp 4 P1L triode connected. I am very happy with the sound. I played them for about 30 hours now. Gorgeous sound playing jazz, classical. For more details you can visit my blog at simplepleasuretubeamps | Thermionic Tubes and Sound Revelations .
Bought too much baltic birch And I built another pair of cabinets for 12p. Whoever is interested in the US Let me know. They are not finished.
Best,
Radu
Great stuff, Radu. I have the same kind of PSE 4P1L amp and I'm using Alpair 10s in 21 ltr columns. I've had this setup for a year and I'm very pleased with it - certainly the best system I've had outside of panel speakers. I prefer the 4P1L PSE to all the 300b and 2a3 amps I previously built, since all the tubes are in filament bias and so no coupling caps (interstage) or cathode bypass caps - the cathode resistors are just 15 ohms.
Old 24th January 2014, 02:37 PM   #85
Abszero is offline Abszero  United States
diyAudio Member

Andy, I am extremely happy with this amp and speakers. I have not had the chance to compare if with 2A3 or 300B, but i am sure youre right about it. While tslking to Ale he said that there is a kind of harshiness when use 4P1L for all stages. I think it depends on the whole setup( what kind of iron and psu).
I ambuilding now my last amp "Shiny Eyes" headphone amp and so far I love the combnation 4p1l-26. I have a ElectraPrint OT and LL1660 IT.
I would say that the overall sound is sweeter than all 4p1l. I want to try 31 too, but there are not so many available online and they are a bit more expensive than 26. Did you tried 4p1l-31? But anyway thiz iz not the right thread and I apologize.
And I do love my Alpair 12 p. Asthey are breaking in, I believe it was a goid investment.
Best,
Radu
Old 24th January 2014, 04:09 PM   #86
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Radu,

Nice Alpair 12P build, and beautiful amp.

Andyjevans,

Would you mind sharing a pic of your amp and speakers? 4P1L sounds interesting!

Which Alpair 10s are you using?

Last edited by zman01; 24th January 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 24th January 2014, 06:51 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abszero View Post
Andy, I am extremely happy with this amp and speakers. I have not had the chance to compare if with 2A3 or 300B, but i am sure youre right about it. While tslking to Ale he said that there is a kind of harshiness when use 4P1L for all stages. I think it depends on the whole setup( what kind of iron and psu).
I ambuilding now my last amp "Shiny Eyes" headphone amp and so far I love the combnation 4p1l-26. I have a ElectraPrint OT and LL1660 IT.
I would say that the overall sound is sweeter than all 4p1l. I want to try 31 too, but there are not so many available online and they are a bit more expensive than 26. Did you tried 4p1l-31? But anyway thiz iz not the right thread and I apologize.
And I do love my Alpair 12 p. Asthey are breaking in, I believe it was a goid investment.
Best,
Radu
The 26 is much better than the 31 - forget that one. Two stages of 4P1L might increase third harmonic a bit - sound gets a bit brighter. But I prefer that to a 26 first stage, which is a bit duller. you've got me considering speakers now - actually hankering after some ribbons....
Old 24th January 2014, 09:31 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

I have dual EL70 microTowers and a pair of Pensil 10.2.

Initially, I drove the EL70s with a Yamaha R-S300 and I was fairly happy with the sound, but curious about what I might be missing.

Then I bought an EL34 PP (~25WPC) and I couldn't believe the difference. Then a while later I built the Pensils and tried them with both amps. Again, the tube amp is far better. I can best describe the Yamaha as "boring as sh!t".

The tube amp is great in the cooler months, but I have plans to build a "summer amp" so as not to heat up my living room so much. I tried a "stock" Lepai TA2020 and it didn't have enough power. Man do they sound bad when you push them!

I'll be (re)building a 2x100w TC2000/STA508 soon. I only plan to use about 30 watts of it, so I suspect I will get a very solid "chipamp" experience.

But first I want to begin my 3rd speaker build, which will involve 2x A10.2 and 2x A10P.
Old 25th January 2014, 03:45 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
I use a Bang & Olufsen ICEpower 125ASX2 with my Alpairs and couldn't be happier. I'd still like to get around to trying the infamous Topping TP20 as I've read in a lot of places it's about as good as Tripath gets.

Steven
I own a topping Tp20 mk2 it's awesome for the price, but definitely not the last word.

The charlize2 from diy paradise is a better amp IMHO. Also after "burn in" I find the tp20 became rather softer and lost some sparkle. But as is oft quoted, that's just my take on it
Old 25th January 2014, 06:58 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

I am currently using a pair of Heathkit WM5's 20 watt mono amps with a benchmark DAC for a preamp. These are driving a pair of A 10.2's in a MLTL, they sound wonderful!

Larry

Hide this!Advertise here!