What Amp do you use with your Mark Audio Drivers? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 18th January 2012, 02:38 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I am running my 10.2's of a Dayton DTA-100. Sounds great. Huge bottom end.

Bob
Looks like a cool amp for the 10.2's. Do you use the stock power supply?
Old 18th January 2012, 02:58 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMakerRyan View Post
Looks like a cool amp for the 10.2's. Do you use the stock power supply?
Yes. It is 24v/5a. Should be plenty for the 30w/ch@8Ω for 0.1%thd the amp puts out.

Bob
Old 18th January 2012, 10:54 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I am using a tubes4hifi ST70 kit with Markaudio 10.2 drivers. What Dave (planet10) says is true. I am sorry to say I don't like this combination very much. SImply put something is missing and it isn't the Markaudio 10.2s fault.

I have also been using the 10.2 with an Elekit TU-879S Stereo Tube Amplifier Kit that put out about 8.5 watts. It sounds wonderful.

In the end I think my ears just prefer single ended sound. That's my 2 cents.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:34 AM   #24
wcwc is offline wcwc  United States
diyAudio Member

I may try a tube amp in the future, but for now I will use either an 20 yr old Denon receiver or a 1611 AVR for the Pensil 12. I may build a MarKen 10.2 sooner to replace some Baby Advent IIs in my shop and see how I like the sound of a single driver speaker. I will use a 20yr old Yamaha Integrated or a Marantz AVR to power it.
Old 19th January 2012, 05:09 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default amps Mark Audio Drivers...

Hi all!

First run my Alpair10.2 on an integrated Harman/Kardon 980. Just about 90% perfect. Then I built a SDS-254 ClassD Kit which is a powerAmp. Using the pre-out in the Harman and the sound is even better...
Now building a B1 Buffer(soon to be finished) - maybe even better???
And I have aquired the 2SK82(KD33) to later build the LĀmp - to see if my chain ending with the Fonken-like Alp10.2 can follow till the end.
Or else I will have to build some new MA-released drivers......or maybe CSS new drivers....

Best 2 all!

Olav
Old 19th January 2012, 07:06 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
I've just returned to from New Zealand out-back to a location where I can pickup broadband, flying back to Hong Kong this weekend. Found some beautiful hard woods for cabinet making but more about this when I'm back home.

Re amps, I'm running most Alpair 10's and 12's on Tony Wong's SET 300B + upgraded transformers from Kenneith Wong in the studio and a brother SET 300b at home: Tony's 300B (standard model)

Smaller Alpairs (depending on my mood) and CHR Gen.3 and CHP Gen. 2 on: 6V6 push pull integrated amplifier

Alpair 6's (mostly 6P's) on Derek Shek's Miniwatts (yummy): http://www.miniwatt.com.hk/

Also in the studio is an Accuphase: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/e-308_e.pdf
Source in the studio is: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/dp-67_e.pdf
Source at home is: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/dp-65en.pdf

Very interesting to read about the gear members are using.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 19th January 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 19th January 2012, 08:58 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark interesting discussion.. I hope question too...
in a case of two way OB,ie 15" under with plate amp 150hz xo,how change the perceive dinamics ? ie can sound a lot bigger then the mere real db ?
Old 19th January 2012, 04:59 PM   #28
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallmystic View Post
I am using a tubes4hifi ST70 kit with Markaudio 10.2 drivers. What Dave (planet10) says is true. I am sorry to say I don't like this combination very much. SImply put something is missing and it isn't the Markaudio 10.2s fault.

I have also been using the 10.2 with an Elekit TU-879S Stereo Tube Amplifier Kit that put out about 8.5 watts. It sounds wonderful.

In the end I think my ears just prefer single ended sound. That's my 2 cents.

as I mentioned earlier, there are numerous aftermarket mods/circuits for the ST70 that might well transform the underwhelming performance you're now experiencing - Dave's own reference amp started out life as a pair of sacked out ST70s, and was rebuilt with this one:

Classic Valve Design - Dynaco Clone and Original Design Boards and Repair Kits - Dynaco ST-70 Modifications

This is the only tube amp I've heard with any Dyna content, and by all accounts any resemblance to the original is entirely in name only.
Old 19th January 2012, 05:45 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

With evry solid state amp I have thrown at the MA drivers I have used, (AlpehJ, F5, BA3) they tend to be deep and wide with their soundstage. The only amp that has pushed the musci out towards me is my brothers KT88 PP in triode mode. Only cavest is listening position. In my room, I am basically against the wall and can pull the speakers out as much as 5ft. In the instance, the soundstage is as deep as it would be in a proper venue. sounds clear and dynamic with good speration and imaging. The 7.3 beats the 10.2 in clarity and seperation. Tone on both is very good with 7 beating the 10.2. In my brothers room listening to Pensils with speakers out 4-5 ft and the chair in the middle of the room with 5-6 ft behind it, i get a lot more of the in your face sound. Whether this is his tube amp or the room setup will be determined this weekend. I will be taking my whole rig to his house to see. Side note; If i move my chair away from the back wall a distance equal to that of the speakers from the opposing wall, The soundstage moves out somewhat. I say all this to point out the many different factors involved in musical reproduction.
Old 19th January 2012, 06:20 PM   #30
andb is offline andb  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallmystic View Post
I am using a tubes4hifi ST70 kit with Markaudio 10.2 drivers. What Dave (planet10) says is true. I am sorry to say I don't like this combination very much.
You've misconstrued what Dave said. His st70 comment was about the original, now quite old design. The if the amp you have is one of Bob Latino's kits, I'm pretty sure the only thing is has in common with the original st70 is the chassis layout...

I mention this because I use a Triode Electronics st-70 kit with my alp7.2's. I originally had some JJ tubes and it was ok, but I wouldn't say it was noticeably better than my old NAD705. I swapped in some NOS Tesla (EF806S & ECC802S) and Siemens (EL34) tubes. Its a totally different amp. So before you give up on your "st70 clone" try some tube swapping, maybe try replacing certain key capacitors, like the coupling caps.

In the summer when I don't want to heat the room, I use a BrianGT PCB based 3875 chipamp. Nice, but prefer the tubes.

Hide this!Advertise here!