Double-Till Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 01:05 AM   #1
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Double-Till Build

Done!

These MA Double-Tills were a very fun build using first generation Mark Audio CHR-70s wired in series -- 8 ohms per speaker. The baffle edge of the sides were chamfered 45 degrees like the P-10 flat pacs and the boxes were lined with CCS acoustic denim lining.

This is my second speaker project where I did all the milling of the 1/2" birch and the first where I had learned to use a flush-bit router to trim the edges. The finish was 3 coats oil-based polyurethane

They sound great and are much more dynamic than I would have expected. I'm once again VERY impressed with the value of Mark Audio drivers...it's hard to believe that 4x $36 drivers and a sheet of birch could sound this fantastic!

A few of these photos were taken today with a new digital camera and a few were taken months ago with a cellphone when the build was completed. Figuring out the new digital camera was the worst part of the project and caused a few months of procrastination between completion and today's post.

Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiries during the build!

Mario
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100031.jpg (93.1 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg P1100030.jpg (106.6 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg photo-1.JPG (245.4 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpeg GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg (9.8 KB, 226 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 04:48 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
Done!

These MA Double-Tills were a very fun build using first generation Mark Audio CHR-70s wired in series -- 8 ohms per speaker. The baffle edge of the sides were chamfered 45 degrees like the P-10 flat pacs and the boxes were lined with CCS acoustic denim lining.

This is my second speaker project where I did all the milling of the 1/2" birch and the first where I had learned to use a flush-bit router to trim the edges. The finish was 3 coats oil-based polyurethane

They sound great and are much more dynamic than I would have expected. I'm once again VERY impressed with the value of Mark Audio drivers...it's hard to believe that 4x $36 drivers and a sheet of birch could sound this fantastic!

A few of these photos were taken today with a new digital camera and a few were taken months ago with a cellphone when the build was completed. Figuring out the new digital camera was the worst part of the project and caused a few months of procrastination between completion and today's post.

Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiries during the build!

Mario

I see a pattern here .....

nice work Mario
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
CabinetMakerRyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Hey that is cool. Denim lining, lots of power handling, well braced cabinet. You can't go wrong with that one. With the two drivers wired in series there should be some benefit to efficiency.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 05:13 PM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dhaka
Toobhead,

Where did you get the plans for this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 05:55 PM   #5
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
The old Mark Audio website had the plans, but the brand-new website's "plans" page doesn't yet seem to be populated. Maybe a search of this forum would bring them up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 06:41 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
The old Mark Audio website had the plans, but the brand-new website's "plans" page doesn't yet seem to be populated. Maybe a search of this forum would bring them up.

they gotta be cached somewhere, but with Mark in New Zealand for a few more weeks, catching up on website maintenance could be an exercise in patience for everyone

fortunately, along with goodwill towards all, that's a character trait universally shared by DIYers

there's your joke right there, so now it's back to the regular crap .....
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 07:40 PM   #7
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dhaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

there's your joke right there, so now it's back to the regular crap .....
BTW, seem to be on an "irregular" streak - listening to Boney M now..
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:00 PM   #8
toobhed is offline toobhed  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Zman,
I'll check this evening to see if I still have a hard copy of the plans. If you're chomping at the bit to start the build, I could probably get them scanned into pdf over the weekend and email to you. I'll post back this evening if I've found them and we'll go from there,
Mario
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:29 PM   #9
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
doorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver Isl. B.C.
Nice job!
don
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 09:35 PM   #10
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dhaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobhed View Post
Zman,
I'll check this evening to see if I still have a hard copy of the plans. If you're chomping at the bit to start the build, I could probably get them scanned into pdf over the weekend and email to you. I'll post back this evening if I've found them and we'll go from there,
Mario
Mario,

No hurries - got plenty of time. Don't trouble yourself on this - if I build another speaker soon I'm going to blow my WAF credits big time.

Congrats on your build.

-Zia
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Build: Coniston^2 dual driver double mouth MBVR italynstylion Full Range 40 18th January 2011 08:53 PM
BILL and TILL elnino86 Parts 0 14th December 2008 08:21 PM
..didn't know how they sound till i made me one.. tmyr Planars & Exotics 137 26th November 2006 10:01 PM
Attention Raffi and Till (Roemhild) ConExp Full Range 52 23rd October 2006 10:59 AM
Less than 38.000 posts till the 1 mill Bakmeel The Lounge 1 6th July 2006 09:48 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:39 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2