markaudio driver with cast metal frame - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 8th January 2012, 01:46 AM   #41
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

I figure it leaves the option for "audiophile glue"

Somebody would complain that the stock glue makes the driver sound too boomy, others would complain it veils the midrange.

I used the new Mundorf audiophile glue on the MA driver and it produced treble better than my RAAL ribbon tweeter!

Just the driver, thank you very much!
Old 8th January 2012, 05:15 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMakerRyan View Post
Mark,

If you keep using the polymer baskets it will only be a matter of time before it is adopted into mainstream consciousness as the top of the line option for sound quality. If I was more concerned with durability than sound quality I would buy a driver that handles 100watts. You are setting the example for everone else to follow. The cutting edge innovative style of Markaudio got me interested in the first place.

The only issue I have with the basket on the alpairs is that removable ring that some models have. I think they should come pre glued on future models. That or they should come with a tiny little packet of glue.
Hi Ryan, Guys,
Polymer baskets (frames) aren't the cheap option. Pressed steel and low-mid grade cast are for commercial reasons are cheaper to make, therefore the choice of most makers. Polymer frames designed and made right (note the word "right") will out perform most any other frame type. But the bigger the frame, the greater the cost. There's likely no such thing as a cheap big polymer frame (that's reliable) and likely will never be. Makers have to live in the real world (even me) so I'm not planning to make anything bigger than the Alp12 frame using polymer at this stage.

I know a few dealers who'd love to see glued covers. I came under allot of pressure to fix all covers at the factory. As said previously, its a question of "freedom of choice". Where possible, I try to make the driver practical for as many users as possible. So the final decision to deploy covers, extension connectors and the rear magnet cover in the case of the Alp7 is down to you guys.

Most of you know my recommendations.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 8th January 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 9th January 2012, 05:44 PM   #43
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
There's likely no such thing as a cheap big polymer frame (that's reliable) and likely will never be. Makers have to live in the real world (even me) so I'm not planning to make anything bigger than the Alp12 frame using polymer at this stage.

Cheers
Mark.

so let's read between the lines ? ........

Hide this!Advertise here!