Old 29th December 2011, 02:13 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Looking good!
Old 29th December 2011, 02:58 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMakerRyan View Post
Thank you I worked really hard on getting these to look good. The beveled edges help the look of the cabinet a lot I think. I made the mistake of routing the bevel before veneering. I would recommend veneering the sides and front and then routing the bevels for next time.
When i've watched Chris veneer some of our cabinets (most of which have bevels) i've seen him just iron the veneer such that it folds over the bevel and is continuous.

dave
Old 29th December 2011, 03:11 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

That's what I did with my beveled edges. The veneer folds over a 45 degree bevel quite nicely with just a warm iron.
Old 29th December 2011, 11:24 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a good time saver. Well I'm off to finish the cabinets. Hopefully it will all go well.
Old 30th December 2011, 02:48 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah! Finished the cabinets today. They are looking sweet. Mahogany transforms when you spray the clear finish on it, gets dark with a ton of natural contrast. I did not use stain for that reason. Tomorrow I will bring them home and take lots of pictures with a real camera.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:50 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Before listening to the speakers for the first time, I let them run for a few hours. Now I'm listening to them with an 80hz high pass. They are unbelievable. Not even broken in they sound better than anything I have made by a huge margin. I will get the pictures up soon but for now I must hear more.

The Alpair 10.2 is a wonder. It is so hard to believe how much better and well integrated the sound is with a full range when it is done properly. A True full range it is!

Everyone has done a great job pushing the limits in DIY Audio. Special thanks to everyone who did the hard work researching and developing this speaker and giving it away for anyone to build.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:54 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Told ya. Now you see why I want to try both this and the A7 with helper woofers. Taking the load off bottom end should improve sound because of greatly reduced cone excursion as a result of dropping LF. Where are the pics.
Old 31st December 2011, 02:01 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Listening to John Williams Jurassic Park Theme. Have heard it on many audio systems. This is the most satisfying sound I've heard with this piece.
Old 31st December 2011, 02:04 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Told ya. Now you see why I want to try both this and the A7 with helper woofers. Taking the load off bottom end should improve sound because of greatly reduced cone excursion as a result of dropping LF. Where are the pics.
Indeed. If the A7 has higher resolution that this than it makes perfect sense. There is basically no excursion on the 10.2 at 80hz high pass. I would expect there would be very little on the A7. The 10.2 might be more forgiving though. Twice the moving mass after all.

I doubt there would even be much excursion with an A6 at 60hz high pass.
Old 31st December 2011, 02:20 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!