FAST subs under MA drivers - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th November 2011, 09:42 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

So we have a peerless, SB acoustics, and a tang band. What else? I know the EL166 has proved itself.

Personally I'd use some with a larger Sd than that tang band w6, unless cramped for space. Or two per side. But then value is decreasing. Using the minidsp is the way to go IMO though. I keep saving up for one, then spend it on other junk

Edit - And what MA drivers are people thing of using for this application? I heard alp7. I think alp6 is an obvious good choice. May need a little higher xo though.

Last edited by tuxedocivic; 16th November 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 16th November 2011, 10:51 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I would love to build something like this with the A7 and a woofer:

NSMT 100M

Anybody want to put a design together?
Old 16th November 2011, 11:08 PM   #33
soren5 is offline soren5  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
I have had little success in mixing sealed systems with ported systems. The phase is severely lacking in whack if not completely out of whack.
Interesting. I hope that I'm not going too much off topic by asking a little more about why or why not to mix sealed and ported systems.

The thing is that the Tangband W6-1139 is the only woofer I've found that is capable of going so low in such a small box, but AFAIK this can only be done in a vented enclosure. Sealed I get about 60Hz f3, perhaps a little lower with a LT, but power handling quickly becomes an issue.

So if I go vented for the woofer then you'd recommend me to go vented for the top as well, even with a XO of say 300Hz? I thought that at this frequency the MA drivers would sound and behave similarly, no matter if they are in a sealed or vented enclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Personally I'd use some with a larger Sd than that tang band w6, unless cramped for space. Or two per side.
Could you elaborate a bit on this please? Why would you want a larger Sd? Two W6-1139s per side is definitely a possibility as the required box size is still very low (I am cramped for space, yes ). However, in the case of two woofers, how would you design and implement them in a FAST? Sealed or vented? And LT?

I'm interested in hearing other suggestions as well. Thanks.

Last edited by soren5; 16th November 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 16th November 2011, 11:09 PM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
And what MA drivers are people thing of using for this application? I heard alp7. I think alp6 is an obvious good choice. May need a little higher xo though.
Any & all of them. The small ones have some advantages if the woofers go high enuff.

dave
Old 16th November 2011, 11:20 PM   #35
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
Not sure (what's blh?). I've only tried to mix tuned port enclosures with sealed with unwhacked results.
BLH = back loaded horn. I know there's been some talk of sdx7s in deflectors for fh3 so I assume sealed would work.
Old 17th November 2011, 01:56 AM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
I know there's been some talk of sdx7s in deflectors for fh3 so I assume sealed would work.
Mine stealthWoofers are sealed, after a couple weeks in the system, finally getting to listen to some music... is good.

Click the image to open in full size.

One of the reasons i like SDX7 is that it works well in a small sealed box (14-17 litre my preference), and with a touch of boast at 25 Hz, will hit 25 Hz in room.

http://p10hifi.net/planet10/CSS/SDX7-sealed-pass1.pdf

dave
Old 17th November 2011, 08:48 AM   #37
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Mine stealthWoofers are sealed, after a couple weeks in the system, finally getting to listen to some music... is good.

One of the reasons i like SDX7 is that it works well in a small sealed box (14-17 litre my preference), and with a touch of boast at 25 Hz, will hit 25 Hz in room.

http://homepage.mac.com/planet10/CSS...aled-pass1.pdf

dave
Dave,

What would the box volumes be for a decent solution with EL166 woofers?

-Zia
Old 17th November 2011, 04:12 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Soren5

The problem with that w6 is it is small with 13mm of travel. I'd personally use something with high Sd and less travel to get the same Vd. They're only 83db efficient and part of what I like in a Fast is you can use the woofer to BSC. So if we use an 85db MA driver, I'd want something that is at least 88db to get me at least 3db BSC.

If you used two of them, you're getting there. Relying on xmax to get you bass isn't something I'd normally practice, unless tight on space as said before. This is basically what Klippel is all about. As the cone moves out, things get non-linear. So a larger woofer traveling less, will inherently stay more linear. I think I've actually seen Klippel data on that w6, but I can't remember if it was good or bad. So there again, using two cuts down on the required travel.*

Higher Sd usually means more efficient, which means less travel. Cause you could say, it doesn't matter if there is an spl mismatch, I'm using a minidsp so I'll just boost the woofer. Ya but then you'll be really using that 13mm of travel and, well, I just don't think it'll sound as good as these incrideble MA drivers
Old 17th November 2011, 04:51 PM   #39
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

EL-166 are 87.1 (black cones) efficient not 83. Xmax is 5.5mm one way.
Old 17th November 2011, 05:17 PM   #40
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
\
What would the box volumes be for a decent solution with EL166 woofers?
I haven't yet looked at alignments for the EL166.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!