FAST subs under MA drivers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 15th November 2011, 10:38 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Chris, 25 L sealed for a pair in parallel.

I'm just as frugal, believe me. Im not about to plunk $200 on a pair of SBs I just think the woofer in a FAST ought to stretch down to 30 or 40hz. The silver flute has proved to me to be a good 80 to 1000hz driver that is cheap and sensitive. It's how I use it, but I can't think of another use. Ported it'll get down a ways. I know you guys have some, I hope you can make better use of them in a fast than I could

The sdx7 isn't cheap ya know

I think peerless woofer are great value in general.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:47 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I just think the woofer in a FAST ought to stretch down to 30 or 40hz. The silver flute has proved to me to be a good 80 to 1000hz driver that is cheap and sensitive. It's how I use it, but I can't think of another use. Ported it'll get down a ways.
You must have them heavily EQ'd. How do they sound, in general?

jeff
Old 15th November 2011, 10:56 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Why eq? I havent applied any eq yet. I think my box sim predicted an f3 of 95 or so. Listening to them I'd say the make bass just fine, but nothing more. Not like an 8" woofer designed to really make bass. In general they sound decent. I'm not done with the xo yet, do we'll see. They are neutral, and can take a beating in a home theater setting the way I have tried them. I played some music with a very rhythmic tuba section on the weekend that impressed me, but again, when the tuba got low it started to loose it's umph. In the HT setting, on goes the dedicated sub with an 80hz xo and bam, then they really eat up anything dynamic. They don't flinch for nothing. Very easy breathing.

An I missing something here?
Old 16th November 2011, 12:43 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why eq? I havent applied any eq yet.
Just wondering how you far you were pushing them to make bass.

Quote:
I think my box sim predicted an f3 of 95 or so.
Pretty close to what I get. Nice gentle roll off starting around 300Hz.

Quote:
Not like an 8" woofer designed to really make bass. In general they sound decent.
Looks like they'd make a nice 2-way in a ported box, but you'd still need a sub if you like really low bass.

Quote:
An I missing something here?
Don't think so. That's usually my line.

jeff
Old 16th November 2011, 06:51 AM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

just how low does one really need to go?

minds out of the gutter lads, I'm talking about for music, in a real room
Old 16th November 2011, 02:58 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
just how low does one really need to go?

minds out of the gutter lads, I'm talking about for music, in a real room
There are as many octaves below 120hz as there are above 120hz.

For music recorded in a REAL recording venue, especially classical music recorded in a large symphony hall, there is SIGNIFICANT information below60hz, and a lot below 40hz, some below 25hz (lots of variables). From a personal perspective, I like systems that are capable down to (F10 or better) 20hz or lower. But that's just me.
Old 16th November 2011, 03:08 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I'd agree with silver here. Remember that organ music Bob brought to van isle DIY Fest. Well, the silver flutes would have just gone brrrrraatch trying to hit those bottom notes. It's meant to do a specific task, and it does it well. I could find anything under $100 each for my application other than the silver flutes. Ymmv, as some people don't mind bass lacking speakers. But then why go fast I have to ask.
Old 16th November 2011, 04:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I should add that you may very well do better than me... I'm pretty sad at cab design

Perhaps you guys know something about the ts parameters I don't that would allow for good response in a TL or something. I hope so, cause then I'll nic it from you
Old 16th November 2011, 04:49 PM   #19
soren5 is offline soren5  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default TB W6-1139SIF

I subscribed to this thread as I'm currently looking for some drivers to add some bottom to my Alpair 7.3s.

One of my objectives is to build a small sized FAST system. I've been looking at various drivers, but is currently set on the TB W6-1139SIF. I've never used these drivers, but I hear good things about them. In a small vented cab with a bit of EQ these little subs should reach an f3 of 30Hz (relatively big and long vent required but doable). From other threads I hear that they play well up to around 600Hz.

The idea is to put the Alpairs in a small sealed cab and cross at something like 250-300Hz using miniDSP.

Comments appreciated.
Old 16th November 2011, 05:02 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'd agree with silver here. Remember that organ music Bob brought to van isle DIY Fest. Well, the silver flutes would have just gone brrrrraatch trying to hit those bottom notes.
as might even the SDX7s - that I've heard, and not even on the Toccata and Fugue, or Sister Drum

Quote:

It's meant to do a specific task, and it does it well. I could find anything under $100 each for my application other than the silver flutes. Ymmv, as some people don't mind bass lacking speakers. But then why go fast I have to ask.
Fair enough - while I've heard some very capable truly deep woofers in larger venues at audio shows, it's been my personal experience with visiting systems using several approaches at either Dave's or my own place, that once you start diving for "solid" bass below mid 40s, it gets very hard to retain the same degree of musicality as the portion above 200Hz or so.

Since you ask "why" - for me FAST is about reducing distortion and improving midrange dynamics and resolution/inner detail , and while not highest on my priority list, increasing attainable SP levels.

Most of our audio systems have some degree of compromise, so live and let live etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!