Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 20th October 2011, 01:03 AM   #1
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Mar-Ken with Alpair 7.3

Recently built a Mar-Ken 7.3. These are not for myself, but for forum member Banglacx. However making sure that I get a good listen before he takes them away.

So how do they sound? The Alpair 7.3 is stunningly revealing, but not harsh or cold in any way. The top end is very transparent, but very smooth. As Buzzforb mentioned in one of his threads, there is a lot airiness; I was surprsied at first, but did not find it unpleasant... and wow, can it handle complex music. It sounds like everything on the track - instruments, effects, vocals play together without getting in one another's way. The imaging in the Planet10 'Ken cabinets is spooky good. And the speakers do a commendable job in filling up a room with sound - I've tried in ~300 sq ft and at 70-80 dB it sounds really nice. The tonal characteristics are consistent with the Alpair family (I have the A12), maybe just a tiny bit warmer.

Well recorded tracks sound stellar. Thin recordings don't get flattered, but didn't sound particularly unpleasant. The Alpair 7.3s are very musical and can definitely give that "one more track" feeling. The LF generated for a 4 inch cone is impressive, but a bigger cone will give more bass weight. Also a bigger cabinet in this regard,

I've been listening to these for the better part of the last 2 weeks and finding these very addictive. I've used 3 tube amps, a Dayton Tripath, and an ICE Power amp - the A 7.3 works with all of them nicely, but to me, the higher wattage amps yielded better results, specially in bass authority.

As expected jazz and acoustic stuff plays really well on these. Tried some Enya - sounded very good, and my brother who had come over ended up listening the whole album. Again the clarity, separation, and imaging is exceptional - and with electronic music with lot of layers like Madonna's Ray of Light, the performance surprised us - all the music, noise/effects played together without sounding congested or confused. It is the same witht Jaytech's Anjunadeep progressive house/trance - the complexities are handled with ease and nuances are so noticeable - it's fun to hear so many sounds and how the DJ's arranged it all. It's like extra layers of music being exposed. Yes, LF weight can be improved upon but for a 4 inch driver in a small box - it's definitely impressive. And quality of the bass is tight and detailed. Bass articulation is a strong point of the P10 Ken cabs and the Mar-Ken 7.3 delivers. For me ~75 dB was plenty loud - with these speakers I didn't have to crank up really loud to enjoy the music.

My wife has complimented on how good these sound on multiple occasions, which is uncommon . If anything, she would have a negative bias towards the Mar-Kens, as it took me a lot of time to build and finish these.

If put into a good FAST system (as other members are already doing), the total package will be hard to beat on any genre of music at any SPL IMHO. I am planning to experiment over the weekend.

Too bad that Banglacx also collects these at the end of the weekend. So until then, I'll enjoy the music with these!

-Zia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarKen73.jpg (142.0 KB, 1341 views)

Last edited by zman01; 20th October 2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 20th October 2011, 01:41 AM   #2
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice write-up Zia, great looking build too!
best,
don
Old 20th October 2011, 07:16 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Thanx for the review... helps keep me sane, knowing others hear what i (we) hear... after all how could it only be a single 4" driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Too bad that Banglacx also collects these at the end of the weekend. So until then, I'll enjoy the music with these!
Sounds like Zia's Speaker Emporium UnLtd needs to move out some old-stock to make way for some new projects... maybe the nT version

Click the image to open in full size.

There will also be accompanying WoofTs with each one (to make an elegant FAST)... only one designed (not tested yet) is that for the uFonkenSET

dave

PS: imagining on stock drivers is much less 2D than most other drivers, but flat compared to a treated set
Old 20th October 2011, 12:05 PM   #4
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks great in perspective - speakers look nice too:-)
Old 20th October 2011, 12:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are these smaller than current rectangular version?
Old 20th October 2011, 03:15 PM   #6
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Don, Dave, Jimbro, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Dave, I owe you a speaker emporium "logo" of sorts in Bangla font - will close on that shortly. Was too engrossed in 3 builds - Mar-Ken 7.3, FH Mk3 with removable SB, Lotus^2 - haven't touched much else in my spare time. And yes, then auditioning the Mar-Ken 7.3... .

The T versions look smart - the one above - you say it's a uFonkenSET - based on Fostex 3" drivers? What woofers for the FAST? BTW, do the Ts sound even better than the standard Ken or benefits are mostly aesthetic?

-Zia
Old 20th October 2011, 05:00 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Are these smaller than current rectangular version?
They are larger. Both because of the side vents and because they start with a base 2.5 litre vrs 2 litre.

The original next to my Yew ones (no drivers yet -- i might have to do orange spots)

A picture here of Bernie's Locust pair. His drivers will be getting glow in the dark spots (the locust is supposed to glow under black light)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uFonken-SE-v-reg.jpg (78.0 KB, 2335 views)
Old 20th October 2011, 05:04 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
The T versions look smart - the one above - you say it's a uFonkenSET - based on Fostex 3" drivers? What woofers for the FAST? BTW, do the Ts sound even better than the standard Ken or benefits are mostly aesthetic?
The top visualization is that for the dMar-Ken7.3T. The bottom with WoofT is the one for the FF85wk. The woofT will use 2 Peerless 4" woofers (largest one that would fit) or 2 Dayton for the price consious. In this case it is an ML-TL and models F10 in the mid 30s.

The T versions (so far) do sound better. It is subtle thou.

dave
Old 20th October 2011, 05:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Can you provide more details about the Mar-Ken "nT" version?

I'm looking at a FAST system to improve the bass response of the Mar-Ken-7.3s. Would the WoofTs shown above work nicely with them? Any other recommendations?
Old 20th October 2011, 10:15 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The drawings are not yet ready for release. As a plan-set subscriber you will get a notice for the next release.

The only WoofT to be designed so far is for the uFonkenSET. They have some tight restraints so will require some hunting down of drivers.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!