diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Markaudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/)
-   -   Alpair 7 FAST Prototype (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/198618-alpair-7-fast-prototype.html)

Westy37 16th October 2011 06:09 AM

Alpair 7 FAST Prototype
 
3 Attachment(s)
Well after much reading, reading, reading and.....endless reading, I've cobbled together some sort of a two channel system for myself. It's more a proof of concept than a final product and I anticipate quite a few developments in the coming months. Having said that, I sure am impressed with the outcome. I've been living with the alpair 7s in a simple sealed box for some time so I'm familiar with their sound but adding the woofers has made a world of difference.

There's two sets of drivers in the top box, some alpair7 (gen 2) and alpair5. Currently I've got the 7s hooked up, crossed actively via mini-dsp to the 12" peerless sls 830699 woofers at 180hz. The 5s are destined for another project.

The cabinets you can see are truly frugalphile, the top ones were some horrible old 3-way speakers I picked up from the tip. Ten minutes in the shed and they had a servicable new front baffle on them. The bottom cabinets are some similarly cannibalised old cabinets picked up for the grand sum of $10 or something.

The next revision of these speakers is going to be some real cabinets! Matrix braced and appropriately stuffed with fibreglass (there is currently nothing in either box, top or bottom).

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Mark for the development and more inportantly support, of a truly fantastic product. The wealth of knowledge that he brings to the table is nothing short of amazing.

Now.....back to the music. Mhmmmm..... music :)

planet10 16th October 2011 06:50 AM

Keep on trucking...

dave

silverhairbp 16th October 2011 07:33 AM

The Peerless SLS series seem to be a good match for full range speakers. Keep us in the loop as you develop the system!

Goto 16th October 2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhairbp (Post 2747237)
The Peerless SLS series seem to be a good match for full range speakers. Keep us in the loop as you develop the system!

Indeed, the match seems to work. I have Alpair 7.3s supported by a single Peerless SLS 10 inch woofer, also using a MINI-DSP to simulate a Linkwitz Transform with good levels down to 40hz and a gentle rolloff below that.

I have refrained from fully implementing an active crossover as such because I don't want to give up my Buffalo/Legato3 DAC for the mini-dsp outputs on the main channels. Instead I have implemented a simple filter between Legato and power amps to roll off the low frequencies fed to the Alpairs, which are currently open baffle. In this arrangement the lower mid range (150 - 300hz) are a bit light but not missing because of the particular rather small open baffle in use and the point where the sub comes in (in order to minimise directionality from the sub in my small listening space).

Works a treat though - has me up late pulling cds off the shelves when I should be sleeping.

buzzforb 16th October 2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goto (Post 2747544)
Indeed, the match seems to work. I have Alpair 7.3s supported by a single Peerless SLS 10 inch woofer, also using a MINI-DSP to simulate a Linkwitz Transform with good levels down to 40hz and a gentle rolloff below that.

I have refrained from fully implementing an active crossover as such because I don't want to give up my Buffalo/Legato3 DAC for the mini-dsp outputs on the main channels. Instead I have implemented a simple filter between Legato and power amps to roll off the low frequencies fed to the Alpairs, which are currently open baffle. In this arrangement the lower mid range (150 - 300hz) are a bit light but not missing because of the particular rather small open baffle in use and the point where the sub comes in (in order to minimise directionality from the sub in my small listening space).

Works a treat though - has me up late pulling cds off the shelves when I should be sleeping.

Pics?

Goto 16th October 2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzforb (Post 2747602)
Pics?

Yeah, sure - when I stop playing music long enough to tidy up the workmanship. I'd be ashamed to show this set up to any of you guys as it currently looks. I've seen some deeply impressed workmanship on here and, whilst my setup sounds truly superb and engaging in every musical way, it does not look pretty!

TBH I probably will migrate to either a Pensil 7 or smaller sealed box to richen up the lower part of the range playing through the Alpairs and fill in the percieved dip before the sub comes into play. It's not a big hole, but I think there's something extra to be got there.

silverhairbp 16th October 2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goto (Post 2747917)
Yeah, sure - when I stop playing music long enough to tidy up the workmanship. I'd be ashamed to show this set up to any of you guys as it currently looks. I've seen some deeply impressed workmanship on here and, whilst my setup sounds truly superb and engaging in every musical way, it does not look pretty!

TBH I probably will migrate to either a Pensil 7 or smaller sealed box to richen up the lower part of the range playing through the Alpairs and fill in the percieved dip before the sub comes into play. It's not a big hole, but I think there's something extra to be got there.

We all build prototypes with the intent of creating a final finished product of exquisite design and finish. But it's the prototype that gives us the operational design. So post some pics or we'll take your cat hostage. ;)

Westy37 17th October 2011 12:23 AM

Come on, don't be shy. Let's see some pics. It's not like mine are looking a work of art right now. It's functional, which is beautiful in its own way.

blakkshepeaudio 17th October 2011 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westy37 (Post 2748077)
Come on, don't be shy. Let's see some pics. It's not like mine are looking a work of art right now. It's functional, which is beautiful in its own way.

Mine are functional too, but still butt ugly!

Goto 17th October 2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverhairbp (Post 2747962)
We all build prototypes with the intent of creating a final finished product of exquisite design and finish. But it's the prototype that gives us the operational design. So post some pics or we'll take your cat hostage. ;)

If you take our cat hostage, please keep up the hyper thyroid treatment, or she'll drive you batty with constant demand for food. SHe may not have long to live, so treat her nice:D

I'll try to nick the wife's camera for an hour this week some time, but I warned you all. Not pretty (nor are the speakers!).

Mark


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2