Need suggestion for Center Chanel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 3rd October 2011, 04:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need suggestion for Center Chanel

I'd like to build a center channel for my HT using full range drivers. My box dimensions are set (box is built to fit inside a wicker basket - if you're married, you understand). 11w x 8h x 12d. Box volume is about 15 liters. I've got a cheapo MTM build in it now, and it's mediocre at best.

My only experience with full-rangers is a set of Cyburg's Needles I built with 3" TangBands. I'm sufficiently impressed with the sound that I want to experiment with the MarkAudio drivers. If I like them as a center channel, I could build a set of Pensils for the Left/Right mains.

The baffle will hold two CHP-70s. My Denon amp will drive the two in series for a 16 ohm load. Is this a reasonable thing to do? I'm not going for audiophile quality sound here. I want intelligible voices for home theater.
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:11 PM   #2
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a nice speaker Odougo but I think most agree that all 3 speakers across the front should be the same manufacturer, family and probably cone material. Planet10 has some ht boxes designed for chr-70s you might check out though they may need revision for the new generation.
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

How ironic that I'm asking for opinions about a particular MarkAudio driver, in the MarkAudio forum, and the recommendation is to go with a completely different two-way.

I've seen that HDS kit on Madisound, and I'm considering it as well. I suppose I'm willing to take one last (relatively cheap) stab at a full ranger. My question is, do folks who routinely use and endorse these drivers, think this is a reasonable application?
Old 4th October 2011, 02:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi ODougbo,
I've deleted your posts. This is the Markaudio forum for projects, ideas and recommendations using Markaudio drivers. Promoting other brands is not allowed.

Please note item 2 on this on this forum guide:

Markaudio Forum Guide

Please fee free to join in the discussion on the basis of helping member Randallm with his ideas using CHP.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 4th October 2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 4th October 2011, 02:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Randallm,
Provided your Denon is up to taking the 16 ohm load on its centre channel (think it should be). Or wire them in parallel and add a 4 ohm resistor if you wish to stay 8 Ohm. Have you considered the CHR'70 Gen.3's?

The new CHP's are tuned to roll-off in the HF range, as requested by members who wanted a more "classic papery" sound. Not sure how this would pan out for centre channel HT use. Could be good as vocals will be well illustrated. Just wondering if you might want to take advantage of the extra bandwidth of the CHR's?

Certainly 15 litres sealed or vented will give you much scope for the centre output using either of these driver model in twins.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 4th October 2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The larger MarkAudio's are all metal cone so the CHR-70s would probably be a better match but if you wanted to stick with chp and wanted dual drivers check with Dave at Planet10. I'm sure he's working on such an inclosure.
Old 5th October 2011, 04:04 AM   #7
TISONN is offline TISONN  Canada
diyAudio Member

I built this centre for a friend who had difficulty hearing voices clearly with his old speakers he bought at a big box store.

It's 3 second gen CHR-70 in series for 12 ohm (they were 4ohm, new CHR-70 are 8ohm). the enclosure is about 25L sealed. The odd shape is because his tv stands on top of it, and the Samsung TV base has that curvature.

He can not believe how much of an improvement there was for so little money, and I will be making matching towers before the snow flies. It actually bothers me to listen to his system right now, I can hear the original Polk towers oompah'ing their way along with the centre and I cringe. He generally watches TV and listens to music with the towers off right now.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th October 2011, 05:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Still need a recommendation

I appreciate the responses so far, but I'm afraid I biased the conversation by mentioning the CHP-70s I saw at Madisound for $36. They struck me as reasonable for two.

Here's my real question. I want to build a new HT center channel. I have a 15 liter box with an 8" high x 11" wide baffle, made of 3/4" baltic birch. Should I put 1 or 2 MarkAudio drivers in it? Which ones? My primary goal is intelligible home theater. If I like it, I'll build Left/Right mains from matching/similiar drivers. As a followup, will I need any sort of passive crossover/filter for the driver(s) in the center channel? My Denon 1911 can drive 6 - 16 ohm loads.
Old 5th October 2011, 07:21 AM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Randallm,

CHP and CHR is same price IIRC.

Did you check out the P10 Home Theatre Appendix section? If you like the design, you can ask Dave if CHP will work in same boxes.

BTW, I have made the Half-Towers (from the Micro Tower plans) with CHR-70 and using as left and right front channels with stereo amplifier (used both Tripath and ICE Power) - HUGE improvement over standard TV sound (not too surprised). Dialogue on movies/shows sounds so clear that I did not follow through with making the centre.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I know the CHRs work well sealed so it's easier to custom build a center like TISONN's example (awful that a Samsung is going to cover that beautiful wood). The older CHPs and EL70s not so much. Don't know about the new generation CHPs in sealed.

Hide this!Advertise here!