10.2 Enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 4th October 2011, 03:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Mark,
Have you had a chance to listen to the dMarKens from Dave? It would be interesting to hear how the two compare.
Hi Buzz,
Yes, Tony had a nice set of dMarkens made in ply. The looked really nice and played beautifully. Comparing the 2 box designs, I'd say Erich's design has a slightly lower/stronger bass, while Dave's bass output is tighter (nice). Both box designs sound good overall. I heard no major vices from either box.

But I haven't measured the output from Dave's and Eric's designs side by side so I can only give you an listening impression.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 4th October 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 4th October 2011, 04:34 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I would imagine that with your experience, impressions are good enough.
Old 4th October 2011, 06:38 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Erich's box is based on ~15.5 litre, Mar-Ken10.2 is based on 13 litre so Erich's should have an edge in bass depth. I haven't examined Erich's tuning strategy yet. Don (aka Doorman) is building the beta set of Mar-Ken10.2tt (currently) based on 17 litre (note: there is no dMar-Ken10.2 (deciSize exist for the A7/CHR/CHP) -- althou i may do one similar to Doug Ingram's octogons for those wanting to use as mid-tweeters).

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 4th October 2011, 10:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

One thing I should mention. Lately at listening events, I've been taking SPL readings. Where possible, measuring outputs from the driver and vent(s) at close range, then from a the listening position (usually 3 to 4 metres distance).

From my memory, both these boxes were doing well in large rooms, easily reaching low 80's dB to 88dB (peak) with moderate peak driver excursions. Nicely within the mechanical capacity of the driver's power-train. These volume levels are getting very close to risk causing hearing damage if sustained for more than 1 hour.

So both boxes are doing a nice job and appear to be optimised (or very close) with their drivers.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 4th October 2011, 10:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wupsie View Post
Cloocino....u are a hero!!!!
Thank u very much indeed, job well done
Thanks, you abash me a little bit...
Old 13th November 2011, 07:39 AM   #16
tof654 is offline tof654  China
diyAudio Member

Default hello from HK

Hi Cloocino,
I've just bought two alpair's 10.2 form Mark. I'm interested on building your enclosures as I find them very well proportioned, might not sound a big compliment in sounds terms but I'm a designer so on top of sound requirements I need the speaker to look nice... big problem some times....
Back to the point, I read there are some modifications suggested by Mark on your original plans, are the downloadable PDF plans already according those suggestions? if not is it possible to have the latest version or some guidance to do it myself? Ill build this in CAD so dimensions could be enough.
Old 14th November 2011, 08:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

hello! the plan just posted here includes all suggestions of mark and is the latest version. Thx
Old 14th November 2011, 09:06 PM   #18
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Erich's box is based on ~15.5 litre, Mar-Ken10.2 is based on 13 litre so Erich's should have an edge in bass depth. I haven't examined Erich's tuning strategy yet. Don (aka Doorman) is building the beta set of Mar-Ken10.2tt (currently) based on 17 litre (note: there is no dMar-Ken10.2 (deciSize exist for the A7/CHR/CHP) -- althou i may do one similar to Doug Ingram's octogons for those wanting to use as mid-tweeters).

dave
I haven't started building yet, perhaps in the next few weeks.
Dave's (earlier) Mar-Ken cabs for the 10.2 work beautifully in my room.
The most satisfying SD design I've had to date.
best
don

Old 15th November 2011, 03:06 AM   #19
tof654 is offline tof654  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloocino View Post
hello! the plan just posted here includes all suggestions of mark and is the latest version. Thx
Dear Cloccino, thanks for your answer. just one more question, what is the reccomendation on the enclosure material, can I use MDF?

many thanks in advance!
Old 15th November 2011, 10:55 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

of course! I used multi-ply but a friend of mine used MDF and I think, it is even better for the cabinet. So I can recommend MDF. Thanks and greetings, Erich

Hide this!Advertise here!