Alpair 7.3 Heresy - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 28th September 2011, 11:17 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

What is this crossover from ultrkaz you are talking about. Is there a thread and is it something different or unusual.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:21 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi Buzzforb.

Have look at this:

AR-SXO crossover

Its been discussed a fair bit on DIYAudio I think, do a search on series crossovers and AR-SXO.

Ultrakatz thanks, having heard what little damage this set up did to the Alpair7.3, I'd like to try the heretical tweeter with a Alpair 12, I have a hunch there would actually be a point to that.

Adding Tweeter to Full Range
Old 28th September 2011, 07:40 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Simon / ultrakaz, et al

Based on personal experience , I think the 7.3 could most cost effectively benefit from assistance in the lower (several?) octave(s?) - such as in a 5 or 7.1 HT surround system. Could be a matter of individual hearing acuity - my own upper register is shot, and like GM, tinnitus is a constant tizzing buzz that sorta interferes with hearing the good and sometimes bad from around 6000 up - but I don't find the Alpair7 deficient or unlistenable in that range.

Not having extensively lived with either the 10.2 or 12, I can't speak to how much or at what frequency they might benefit from tweeters.
Old 29th September 2011, 12:07 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
Hi Buzzforb.

Have look at this:

AR-SXO crossover

Its been discussed a fair bit on DIYAudio I think, do a search on series crossovers and AR-SXO.

Ultrakatz thanks, having heard what little damage this set up did to the Alpair7.3, I'd like to try the heretical tweeter with a Alpair 12, I have a hunch there would actually be a point to that.

Adding Tweeter to Full Range
I've read about a capacitor-less highpass a few times before. Seems like it would blow up that tweeter if that lone resistor fails. Still, that tweeter is going to be stressed. And first order too.

Hmm, might work with A12 and A6 (or A5, which I happen to have a pair...) at around 1kHz. However, with the A7.3 you can run the tweeter higher and out of the critical 4kHz range, which the A12 is already starting to beam and break-up. Though, it may not matter if you listen further than 2.5m or so.

Keep us posted on your findings.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:28 PM   #15
tpsorin is offline tpsorin  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Dosen't the 7.3 have greater extension than your ribbon?
No.
And even if it goes up to 20kHz+ does not mean that it also have the sound quality of a ribbon or of a good dome tweeter. I also run A7 (2nd generation) with ribbon and I think it sounds better than without it.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:52 PM   #16
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

What ribbon and how about some crossover details please?
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:35 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Post #1, 9 & 12 have the information, just join the dots...
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:16 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks Simon but I was wanting to know tpsorin's set-up just for comparison. I've replaced a ton of blown Heil ribbons but who knows what folks were doing to the poor things.
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:58 PM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
Thanks Simon but I was wanting to know tpsorin's set-up just for comparison. I've replaced a ton of blown Heil ribbons but who knows what folks were doing to the poor things.

crossing over too low / clipping amps would be the first two things than come to mind
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:58 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Not sure what the crossover was since that was 35 years ago. Yikes. They were ESS speakers. Yea I'm sure they were clipping their amps but the ribbons seemed to be particularly susceptible to it. Could be that they were inefficient and just cranked too high. Don't remember. I never really liked the sound that much either but I'd try them again if the price was right.

Hide this!Advertise here!