diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Markaudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/)
-   -   Glueing on Alpair front trim rings (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/197071-glueing-alpair-front-trim-rings.html)

Bob Brines 22nd September 2011 12:21 AM

Glueing on Alpair front trim rings

I just got a pair of 10.2's and 7.3's. After holding them in my hands, I will go with the covers. I think it has been asked before,but.... What type of glue do you recommend for attaching the cover to the frame?

Whipped a pair of basic Pensil 10.2's together today to give the drivers something to break-in in while I put together my own MLTL for the 10.2's. This will be an interesting baseline for my design since the Pensil's are so well respected.

The 7.3's went into my folded TL's and are playing in the HT while I type this. Oh, don't worry, they are high passed at 120Hz.

Bob

markaudio 22nd September 2011 01:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Brines (Post 2719639)
I just got a pair of 10.2's and 7.3's. After holding them in my hands, I will go with the covers. I think it has been asked before,but.... What type of glue do you recommend for attaching the cover to the frame?
Bob

Hi Bob, guys,
We use a 2 pack adhesive in our factory. Check out epoxy glues suitable for soft and hard plastics. For example G-Flex, Bostik, UHU and other glue makers produce 2 mix epoxy's that should be strong. But test the glue on a small rear corner of the frame for any adverse reaction (melting) prior to adhering the cover to the face of the frame.

Cheers
Mark.

malibujeff 22nd September 2011 12:31 PM

Thanks, I was going to ask the same question when I start building my FH MK3 with your 7.3's I just got from Madisound.

Gary the Grey 17th November 2011 08:12 PM

Confused newbie to this thread

Glueing on trim rings? Do you mean the ones in the nice pictures on the Markaudio site have to be glued on by the buyer?

planet10 17th November 2011 10:15 PM

Mark has kindly left the bezel cover rings as an option. This started so that A10 users could use A10.2 in enclosures rebated for A10.

dave

markaudio 8th December 2011 06:48 AM

Hi Guys,
Where practical, please use the front covers. They add to the mass damping of the driver.

On Alpair 7, for recessed fitting on baffles less than 18-mm thickness, its OK to use the driver without the front cover. Over 18-mm, best add the front cover where practical.

On Alpair 10 and 12, baffles thicknesses over 20-mm on recessed installations, try to add the front cover.

Final choice is yours, as much depends on your woodwork skills.

Cheers
Mark.

chrisb 9th December 2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markaudio (Post 2811444)
Hi Guys,
Where practical, please use the front covers. They add to the mass damping of the driver.

On Alpair 7, for recessed fitting on baffles less than 18-mm thickness, its OK to use the driver without the front cover. Over 18-mm, best add the front cover where practical.

On Alpair 10 and 12, baffles thicknesses over 20-mm on recessed installations, try to add the front cover.

Final choice is yours, as much depends on your woodwork skills.

Cheers
Mark.

Whether or not using extra front covers on any of these, don't forget to chamfer the rear side of driver cut-out, and scallop around the support legs if possible

malibujeff 9th December 2011 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisb (Post 2813317)
Whether or not using extra front covers on any of these, don't forget to chamfer the rear side of driver cut-out, and scallop around the support legs if possible

Like this one I did for my CHP-70.2 ...

Gary the Grey 10th December 2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malibujeff (Post 2813765)
Like this one I did for my CHP-70.2 ...

I don't see it. What part is the chamfer and what part is the scallop?

:hohoho:

planet10 10th December 2011 03:11 AM

You do a champher to create the scallop

dave