Markaudio drivers models as at Sept. 2011 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th September 2011, 10:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Markaudio drivers models as at Sept. 2011

Current models are:

Alpair 6: There's the original metal coned driver (Gen. 1) and the current models: 6M-metal and 6P-paper. The 6M and 6P are the second generation. There were many requests for a paper version, hence the 2 choices available today.

Alpair 7: Its gone through 2 sets of modifications, hence the current model is the third generation.

Alpair 10: Its gone through 1 sets of modifications, hence the current model is second generation.

Alpair 12: Is currently undergoing its first set of modifications from the original design. I will make a thread once we've got prototypes tested so you can feedback. If you like the prototype, it will go into production and become second generation.

CHR-70. Its gone through 2 sets of modifications, hence the current model is the third generation.

CHP-70: Its gone through 1 sets of modifications, hence the current model is second generation. The recent mods were based on a number or requests for a "roll-off" driver with a more "classic" sound so that's what the current CHP attempts to do.

CHBW-70: This driver does not have a copper cap on its T Yoke pole. It follows the requests of several Diyers who wanted a small LF to mid driver they could use with Tweets. Its coil and spider aren't the same as the CHP, hence its separate designation (BW = bass/wide). As yet, I've no plans to modify this driver (unless Diyers want it) so its a first generation.

EL-70: This driver was my first paper cone design specifically made to follow Bob Reimer's (CSS) requests. Its power-train components aren't the same as any of the CHP's. It was a particularly difficult driver to make as Bob wanted a low Fo. At the time, the spider technology was pre-Matsubara san, requiring us to bin 2000 spiders in the attempt to get low enough for Bob's needs while maintaining linear stability. Its a stand-alone driver that doesn't as such directly fit with the current family of drivers.

Last edited by markaudio; 19th September 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 21st September 2011, 09:56 PM   #2
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Mark - I don't see the woof #6 or el166 listed. Are you still making these?
Old 21st September 2011, 10:03 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbro View Post
IINM, like the EL70 those (at least the EL166) were OEM models and not officially designated as Mark Audio / Alpair - but this is as good a time as any to give the woofer a vote of confidence - huge bang for the buck, and hopefully will continue to be available
Old 21st September 2011, 10:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Right but the el70 is listed. If not I'll need to order some up asap.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Hi Jimbro, Guys,
I haven't listed the Woof No. 6 (EL166) and Tweet No.3 (ERT 26) as these drivers present a dilemma in the present world economic situation. To keep these drivers in the "budget" end of the market, I have to make at least 6000 units (3000 woofs and 3000 tweets).

From what I understand, Bob (CSS) still has some stock of EL-70 hence I've listed it as a current driver while stocks of Woof No.6 (EL-166) and Tweet No.3 (ERT-26) are nearly out.

Looking at the challenges:

Woofs: There's allot of cheap "semi-sell-off" competition is this sector of the audio market. I'd need dealers to commit to taking 80% of the production stock just for me to make sure I cover the production costs. That's a tough call when distributors can buy over-runs and cancelled stock at knock-down prices for woofs that were originally destined for commercial consumer product. For a small company like mine, designing and making from the ground up, competing against buy-out and "parts-bin" woofs is a tough call at this time.

Tweets: The budget tweet market have been affected by massive increases in the cost of Neo magnets. My costs to product the next batch of Tweet No.3's has increased by 250%. Like the woofs, its tough for my baby Tweet to compete against sell-off, parts-bin competition. So making a new batch of tweet No. 3's is on hold at this time.

Some dealers have said to me, "join the club, your next door to many China factories, buy off-the-shelf drivers and put your badge on them". But you guys knows me, its not what I'm about. Even my budget woof and tweet got the time they deserved to make them deliver near flat responses, most in their internals being custom made in order to achieve this result.

Eric Ng is my business partner. He's a CFA (Chartered Financial Adviser), giving good advice on what Markaudio should focus on making in these volatile times; Hence new Alpair 12, MAOP etc. Eric says we're not large enough to compete with the big manufacturing boys on their terms. We need to focus on we do better than these guys in terms of design, quality and value for money. He looks at this forum and helps me to focus on better understanding Diyer's feedback. Take a look at these pics I took yesterday while working with my Japanese partners. You'll see Kita san personally fixing the caps on each and every Alpair 7 destined for Japan next week. This is a guy who was the the General QC manager for the Foster Group (Fostex). He does this work (he's 57 years old) because he actually loves audio. This is what Markaudio's all about; audio people coming together to make something a bit more special.

I'd love to make a revised woof and tweet, but its up to you guys to make phone calls to your dealers saying "get me Mark's woofs and tweets". If there's a demand sufficient to create viable production, I'll make them! So would Kita san.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kita-1.jpg (157.0 KB, 2020 views)
File Type: jpg kita-2.jpg (143.2 KB, 1959 views)
File Type: jpg kita-3.jpg (103.3 KB, 1930 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd September 2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your integrity. I'm glad I asked! CSS now has 4 less - sorry guys. Hopefully those requests will come.
Old 22nd September 2011, 02:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Mark. I appreciate your integrity. I'm glad I asked! CSS now has 4 less - sorry guys. Hopefully those requests will come.
Hi Jim,
Many thanks for your support, much welcomed.
Cheers
Mark
Old 22nd September 2011, 01:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default papercones

Is there a alpair 10 and or alpair 12 to be expected with papercones like the chp-70?

Best jaapmuziek
Old 16th November 2011, 01:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I second jaapmuziek's request/interest in Alpair 10P or Alpair 12P (paper) drivers.
Old 16th November 2011, 04:45 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapmuziek View Post
Is there a alpair 10 and or alpair 12 to be expected with papercones like the chp-70?

Best jaapmuziek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary the Grey View Post
I second jaapmuziek's request/interest in Alpair 10P or Alpair 12P (paper) drivers.

Yes, Mark is well aware of the interest in larger paper cone drivers - it'll shine when it does.

Hide this!Advertise here!