Alpair 12 Out of Stock in US? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th September 2011, 06:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 12 Out of Stock in US?

Checked the usual suspects, everybody seems out of Alpair 12's.

The Madisound guys say that there is a new version coming, so everyone's waiting for that new version. Anyone have an insight? (If I missed an earlier announcement on this, I apologize).

Last edited by pizzachef; 14th September 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 14th September 2011, 09:31 PM   #2
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzachef View Post
Checked the usual suspects, everybody seems out of Alpair 12's.

The Madisound guys say that there is a new version coming, so everyone's waiting for that new version. Anyone have an insight? (If I missed an earlier announcement on this, I apologize).

Good question - the latest Gen of all the smaller drivers ( CHP/CHR70.2, Alpair6 M/P, Alpair7.3 and Alpair10.2 - yes the Gen numbers do get a bit confusing) should now be in stock at most resellers. A thorough parsing of Mark's various posting for specific comments re the new 12 could take a while - the most recent I could remember was over a month ago:

next gen Alpair 12.3 diy community development

perhaps he (or someone with a better memory of recent posts) could update us?
Old 14th September 2011, 09:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks. To save time clicking through and plowing through the link Chris left, Markaudio appears to be in prototyping stage on the next gen A12. Mark left this comment about a month ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Zia, Guys,

The main objectives are:

1 - Increased SPL (hopefully going above 90dB)
2 - Increased dispersion generated via the shallow cone profile.
3 - Increased emittance in the high range.

These objectives follow the wish list of this thread and those wanted by Diyers for the new CHR's, Alp7's etc. I'm also hoping to increase the air shunt capacity of the driver (increased Vas). This should suit those guys who'd like to use the drivers in large BR, vented and other mass loaded designs.

Please let me know if you'd like to see others for this new Full-range Alp12 version.

Now for the more challenging part, its tough to accurately predict these outcomes. From my calculations, we should make these improvements but as an "applied engineer", I'll only trust hard data generated from within an anechoic chamber. Naturally I'll keep all you guys informed with the results.

Cheers

Mark.
At some point he has to reach the point of diminishing returns but his last few revisions (A7, A10) have been so impressive that I think expectations are always high for a new revision.
Old 14th September 2011, 10:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzachef View Post
Thanks. To save time clicking through and plowing through the link Chris left, Markaudio appears to be in prototyping stage on the next gen A12. Mark left this comment about a month ago:

At some point he has to reach the point of diminishing returns but his last few revisions (A7, A10) have been so impressive that I think expectations are always high for a new revision.
a big concern of mine is what'll happen when he hits some sort brick wall - how quickly will our response go from "that's great, luv this stuff" to "sure, waddya done for us lately" "smilie here"

or am I thinking about my marriage?
Old 14th September 2011, 10:35 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Alpair 12s sold out some time ago, and next gen (A12.3) are not likely to hit stockist shelves for at least 90 days (my estimate, ~5 weeks of that is on the boat). It is likely that all existing boxes will need at least some slight tweaks.

dave
Old 14th September 2011, 10:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I am sure it will be worth the wait.
Old 15th September 2011, 12:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Guys,
As I receive feedback and modify drivers to follow (where possible) your requests, its common engineering practice to add nomenclature. I'm not one for totally re-naming drivers based on existing designs. That would be even more confusing. For the record:

Alpair 6: There's the original metal coned driver (Gen. 1) and the current models: 6M-metal and 6P-paper. The 6M and 6P are the second generation. There were many requests for a paper version, hence the 2 choices available today.

Alpair 7: Its gone through 2 sets of modifications, hence the current model is the third generation.

Alpair 10: Its gone through 1 sets of modifications, hence the current model is second generation.

Alpair 12: Is currently undergoing its first set of modifications from the original design. I will make a thread once we've got prototypes tested so you can feedback. If you like the prototype, it will go into production and become second generation.

CHR-70. Its gone through 2 sets of modifications, hence the current model is the third generation.

CHP-70: Its gone through 1 sets of modifications, hence the current model is second generation. The recent mods were based on a number or requests for a "roll-off" driver with a more "classic" sound so that's what the current CHP attempts to do.

CHBW-70: This driver does not have a copper cap on its T Yoke pole. It follows the requests of several Diyers who wanted a small LF to mid driver they could use with Tweets. Its coil and spider aren't the same as the CHP, hence its separate designation (BW = bass/wide). As yet, I've no plans to modify this driver (unless Diyers want it) so its a first generation.

EL-70: This driver was my first paper cone design specifically made to follow Bob Reimer's (CSS) requests. Its power-train components aren't the same as any of the CHP's. It was a particularly difficult driver to make as Bob wanted a low Fo. At the time, the spider technology was pre-Matsubara san, requiring us to bin 2000 spiders in the attempt to get low enough for Bob's needs while maintaining linear stability. Its a stand-alone driver that doesn't as such directly fit with the current family of drivers.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 15th September 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 01:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
a big concern of mine is what'll happen when he hits some sort brick wall - how quickly will our response go from "that's great, luv this stuff" to "sure, waddya done for us lately" "smilie here"
or am I thinking about my marriage?
Chris,
Ohhhhh, yee of little faith. Surely you know me better by now. I'm from the Lotus engineering - Graham Chapman school, forever seeing the need for change. I'm an addicted (or committed, which ever's worse) "Tweekaholic". If only you could have been at my meeting with Lu Yi Ping yesterday talking about shaving off more mass from the front suspension for the Alpair 10 MAOP.

Will I hit a brick wall some day, yes, when I'm in my 6' box going 6' under!

See this Youtube clip from Star Trek, the Motion Picture - note the last few word spoken by Doc. Mc Coy at the end of the scene:

Star Trek The Motion Picture: Bones Returns - YouTube

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 15th September 2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 15th September 2011, 05:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Chris,
Ohhhhh, yee of little faith. Surely you know me better by now. I'm from the Lotus engineering - Graham Chapman school, forever seeing the need for change. I'm an addicted (or committed, which ever's worse) "Tweekaholic". If only you could have been at my meeting with Lu Yi Ping yesterday talking about shaving off more mass from the front suspension for the Alpair 10 MAOP.

Will I hit a brick wall some day, yes, when I'm in my 6' box going 6' under!

See this Youtube clip from Star Trek, the Motion Picture - note the last few word spoken by Doc. Mc Coy at the end of the scene:

Star Trek The Motion Picture: Bones Returns - YouTube

Cheers
Mark.

yes, "engineers, they love to change things"

Yikes - who else remembers when this was "state of the art" special effects? Even though I wanna give any Canadian the benefit of the doubt,
Shatner
never could
act his way
out
of
a wet
paper bag

(hmm, sounded better when I thought it)

look forward to updates on the new 12
Old 15th September 2011, 02:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

So I would take it then that the 12's will come back into stock in their current version in the somewhat near future? I've got a pair already that I need to build a matching center channel for and would like to do it sooner rather than later

Thanks!

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!