Measuring speakers in-room. Practical considerations. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 1st September 2011, 05:10 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

I just posted a similar comment on teh A7.3 thread.

Dave mentioned in that other thread that what's going on 40dB down can impact performance. To underscore the importance of his statement, human hearing is much more sensitive than many think. In component testing we have seen component differences as small as 3 millibels repeatably identified and associated with specific components under test. If human hearing can consistently identify differences as small as this, it should be obvious that noise, distortion or resonances that are only 40dB down will impact overall sound.

Good measurements are only the start of producing good sound.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:49 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Mark: while we'll patiently await any further pronouncements regarding the Alpair14, may I ask if the model number designates approximate dimension ( i.e. 14cm)?
Hi Chris,
Yes, I'm currently testing the properties of s 142-mm diameter cone.
Thanks
Mark.
Old 1st September 2011, 10:19 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhairbp View Post
I just posted a similar comment on teh A7.3 thread.
Dave mentioned in that other thread that what's going on 40dB down can impact performance. To underscore the importance of his statement, human hearing is much more sensitive than many think. In component testing we have seen component differences as small as 3 millibels repeatably identified and associated with specific components under test. If human hearing can consistently identify differences as small as this, it should be obvious that noise, distortion or resonances that are only 40dB down will impact overall sound.
Good measurements are only the start of producing good sound.
Hi Silver,
Interesting points so please further reference the highlighted sentence in your text. It will be interesting for members to read about the tests to which you refer.

(Additional), I think I've found your reference: http://www.herronaudio.com/tastubes.html.

I've made this comment on this reference in this thread: Alpair 7 Gen.3 Coming soon

I must flag up concern on such published outcomes like this one. So far, I can't see any precise and comprehensive information on how the tests were conducted, how many subjects were used, what efforts were made to isolate internal and external variables (use of blind trails) and no reference to independent verification etc. Until this information is published for independent scrutiny, such results shouldn't be considered conclusive, or reliable.

Emittance's in the lower output regions are limited by the mass and profile of the cone. Some ultra-low mass cones/power-trains have the capability to resonate at the the lower output levels suggested. As to the level of audibility, this may depend on an individual's state of hearing health and no doubt will remain a matter of continued debate. Its part of the reason why I continue to research and test the emittance properties of cones.

Overall, the receptive capabilities of human hearing, both in the physical reception of sound, and how humans perceive the inputs are beyond the representation from the available in-room measuring equipment at this time. We can measure the output from a speaker system in a room, but doing so isn't always automatically going to give an answer that is meaningful and comprehensive. I'm not saying to guys "don't attempt to measure". I'm saying measure but be aware of the limitations of your equipment and treat the results as a guide in helping set up a system. In the final analysis, our own ears are the best for working out the best result for how well a system performs in a particular room situation.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 1st September 2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:42 AM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
As to the level of audibility, this may depend on an individual's state of hearing health
And training

dave
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:32 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
And training
dave
Agreed, a finely tuned sense is good to have.
M
Old 2nd September 2011, 06:00 AM   #36
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

10,000s of hours to expertise - officially certified or not
Old 2nd September 2011, 06:02 AM   #37
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Chris,
Yes, I'm currently testing the properties of s 142-mm diameter cone.
Thanks
Mark.

dare one hope for (environmentally friendly) paper version as well?
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:40 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
dare one hope for (environmentally friendly) paper version as well?
Possibly, I'd like to make a paper cone this big but the cone on test is a 1500 micron 1052 magnesium alloy. Very tasty but I'm really pushing the boat well out at only 1500 microns. I fear it may be just easy to bend it............

If we go paper, maybe the best I could to is around 12 possibly 14-kHz so it would be more a wide driver than full-range. If I keep to alloys, I can likely go full monty.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:37 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I really think this size would be a good candidate for a paper cone helper woofer. It would only need to go up to 1 k or so with a smooth roll-off.

1 helper woofer for the A6, 1 or 2 for the A7. 2 or 4 for the A10/A12.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!