Noob Question: What is the second mounting ring for in my Alpair 7? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Closed Thread

Old 23rd August 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Noob Question: What is the second mounting ring for in my Alpair 7?

The driver has a normal flange with bolt holes for mounting, but there is a second loose plastic flange on top of the first. What is that for?

Old 23rd August 2011, 11:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzachef View Post
The driver has a normal flange with bolt holes for mounting, but there is a second loose plastic flange on top of the first. What is that for?
Hi Pizzachef,
The front cover (flange) adds more mass and rigidity when glued to the frame. For those guys using thinner front baffles (less than 18-mm thick), they may need to fit the driver without this cover (flange) as the recess depth will be limited.

Those guys using front baffles thicker front baffles (18 to 25-mm), I recommend fitting the front cover (flange). Most house-hold glues suitable for polymer plastics will do. Apply a thin beed around 25-mm (1") long in-between the frame's screw locations. Some glues can be strong so test its strength by applying a tiny amount to an obscure part of the frame before use.

Our graphic designer is making drawings this week so I hope to publish them soon.

I'll lock this thread to keep this information easy to access.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 23rd August 2011 at 11:48 PM.

Old 24th August 2011, 12:44 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You will also note that the 2nd magnet can be pulled off. Make sure that this has snapped into place before instaling them.

With the 1st batch of A7.3 driver measues, i had to go back & retest because during handling the 2nd magnet had come off part-way.

It was handy to have it removable as when installing in Maeshowe this past WE, it woudln't fit without.

dave

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!