Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 11th August 2011, 04:52 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
Hi Mark,

Thanks for explaining that. It seems the new design trades off a bit high end and efficiency for smoother response curve. I suspect that's due to the new spider, right? I was somehow worried about the flexibility of the new spider when I saw those reinforcements but now I am not.

And yes I forgot about the contamination issue. The ink may make its way down to the MAOP so it's impossible to remove all of the ink. Maybe I should come up with another way...
Hi Boris,
You still up? It late here in HK.
The MAOP cone is doing most of the work re the smoother response.
Let me know if you do some research on MAOP applications
thx
Mark.
Old 11th August 2011, 05:08 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hello,

We held a listening session in Fotan today and listened initial performance of the Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP prototype TW-1. All of us were surprised at the sound of the new driver. Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP was excellect on the 3D sound stage. The sound we heard was very balanced and natural. The mid range was so soft and smooth without loss of detail. The bass was deep and solid. Although the new drivers need time for run-in, they performed so good as we heard.

Mark, when will the new driver be available? My friend, Thomas confirmed to have one pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5073.jpg (805.9 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5076.jpg (803.9 KB, 487 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5074.jpg (765.8 KB, 462 views)
Old 11th August 2011, 05:10 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP prototype TW-1 performed so good on the Pensil 10.2 cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5088.jpg (789.4 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5077.jpg (783.3 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5078.jpg (787.7 KB, 140 views)
Old 11th August 2011, 05:12 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Take a closer look at the driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5082.jpg (797.9 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5083.jpg (778.6 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5067.jpg (790.6 KB, 261 views)
Old 11th August 2011, 05:18 PM   #25
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musik007 View Post
Hello,

We held a listening session in Fotan today and listened initial performance of the Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP prototype TW-1. All of us were surprised at the sound of the new driver. Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP was excellect on the 3D sound stage. The sound we heard was very balanced and natural. The mid range was so soft and smooth without loss of detail. The bass was deep and solid. Although the new drivers need time for run-in, they performed so good as we heard.

Mark, when will the new driver be available? My friend, Thomas confirmed to have one pair.

free-handing the installation of mounting screws with enclosure in vertical position - brave man

but then you know a guy at the factory for quick replacement parts

almost a shame to loose the gorgeous copper-tone finish, but what sacrifices we make in the name of sonics
Old 11th August 2011, 05:20 PM   #26
Lerg is offline Lerg  Canada
diyAudio Member

It seems like this will be an excellent driver, but I do have a couple questions. I know that the prototype is white because it is a ceramic coating, but will white be the only option for cone color?
Will this coating also make it to other drivers, or only the Alpair 10.2?

I would also like to commend you on what appears to be an extremely rapid product development cycle for constantly improving all of your products.
Old 11th August 2011, 06:17 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Blimey, give the man a chance! There's only one or two prototype pairs of this A10 based unit in existence, and no confirmation it will be offered for sale, so speculating on whether MAOP cones will make it to other units in the range is a little premature. Regarding colour, I suspect it'll be a case of any colour you like providing it's white. Assuming it's even possible to have different shades of MAOP coating, it's not going to be economical for Mark to offer it in a range of them, particularly in a special edition model, which this would almost certainly have to be.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 11th August 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11th August 2011, 07:19 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Blimey, give the man a chance!
No kidding! Contrary to popular belief, there's only 24 hours in an HK day.

jeff
Old 11th August 2011, 09:38 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerg View Post
It seems like this will be an excellent driver, but I do have a couple questions. I know that the prototype is white because it is a ceramic coating, but will white be the only option for cone color?
Will this coating also make it to other drivers, or only the Alpair 10.2?

I would also like to commend you on what appears to be an extremely rapid product development cycle for constantly improving all of your products.
Hi L,
Correcting the initial part of your first question (highlighted text), its not ceramic. That's an entirely different process thats based on glass or other silica materials. Re the colour, at this stage, we only have the off-white. No plans to introduce an alternative.

Likely will be also used on the New Alpair 12 but its largely up to you guys. If enough Diyers tell me they want this process on other metal coned drivers, I'll do my best to make it happen.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 11th August 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11th August 2011, 09:47 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

If the picture is reasonably good, which it looks to be, then that off-white color is absolutely beautiful. The look of the overall driver is in my opinion perfect.

Hide this!Advertise here!