Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1 - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st May 2012, 02:30 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
From the tone, it appears I've offended you. Rest assured that wasn't my intension and my apologies for any offense caused.

I spend 24/7 doing what I can to open up the world of driver making. At times like this, I'll think again about the potential fallout. A case of the road to hell is paved with many a good intension.

Mark
No, not at all Mark. I appreciate your comments and your dedication. I am seriously considering the MAOP or 12.2. I will send you an email, as I have some more specific questions for you, as you have actually heard both of them.
Old 31st May 2012, 02:35 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Mark,

At the risk of jumping into the frying pan - doesn't seem like JohnLL and Buzz meant to undermine the value of your drivers (or your efforts) - it's just that they are priced beyond their planned budget.

Hope you can get the A12.3 Alu cones sorted out soon - the initial info was encouraging. On the bright side it gives folks more time to try out the A12P.
Hi Zia,
I've already apologised to Buzz as his last post indicates I offended him. Please lets move on, I'm exhausted.

I'll do my best with the 12 metal to meet expectations, but I'm making no promises. I did what was asked of me re the 12P (more SPL etc). Be glad to get your feedback on the 12P's - many thanks.

Thx
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 31st May 2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 31st May 2012, 02:40 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
No, not at all Mark. I appreciate your comments and your dedication. I am seriously considering the MAOP or 12.2. I will send you an email, as I have some more specific questions for you, as you have actually heard both of them.
Thanks Buzz,
Appreciate your support. Forgive me, I'm exhausted (back is killing me). I'll mend once I've finished the home and office moves in the next 2 weeks. I'm asking Brian (Madisound) to help out with the shipping, but its his call.

Be glad to receive your email.

Thx
Mark
Old 31st May 2012, 02:57 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

Nothing like life as a small business owner, huh!
Old 31st May 2012, 05:25 PM   #155
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Mark,

Wish you speedy recovery from the back pain. Sorry to hear that it's causing you so much grief.

Quote:
+1, specially for someone like Mark, who's got heart and soul sunk into it.

- Zia
Old 31st May 2012, 09:57 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Mark,

Wish you speedy recovery from the back pain. Sorry to hear that it's causing you so much grief.

+1, specially for someone like Mark, who's got heart and soul sunk into it.

- Zia
Cheers Zia,
I've given up on the pain killers as they churn my stomach. Now trying back stretch exercises. Doc said "don't lift anything". I said "no choice". Magnets, T yokes and furniture won't levitate by themselves.
Cheers
Mark
Old 31st May 2012, 10:08 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yup, a bit challenging to say the least. Frustrating more anything. Europe is asking me for a CHR-60 while Japan is keen on seeing an Alpair 10P and a all-new Alpair 8. That plus bringing out the replacement woof and tweet. All good stuff but so risky right now while world markets yo-yo and Greece goes belly up.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 3rd August 2012, 12:53 PM   #158
diyAudio Member

Having managed to twist Mark's arm (bribery and corruption), I've had the only pair of Alpair 10 MAOP units outside the far east for a couple of months; with about 700 hours on them at the time of writing, it seemed like a good time to post some general thoughts.

-The fit and finish is excellent, and the drivers are signed by the assembler (in the case of my units, by Jeff Taniguchi-san). The MAOP cone is also very nice, with a matt (in my case white) finish. In terms of aesthetics, it's a change from the grey / copper of the stock units, and while I'd rather look at Victoria Pendleton or Sarah Smart, as drive units go, it's attractive. I quite liked the hand-written (in felt tip pen) command that can be found along with the individual driver data sheets not to touch the cones. I haven't.

Presumably there is an element of self-fulfilling prophesy at work, since I am reasonably aware of what the plasma electrolytic oxidation (another term for MAO) does physically to the cone. Although the PEO / MAO process is a controlled oxidation of the cone surface rather than a coating in the usual sense, it is essentially additive and therefore provides a degree of damping. Sonically, that is what my strictly subjective impression is thus far, although it is supported by the FR graphs of these units compared to the stock drivers. Differences between the regular and MAOP units are subtle, although certainly discernible, and largely a matter of character. They are very easy to listen to for extended periods, presumably thanks to the cones having a (relative) attenuation in micro resonances compared to the raw units. At a guess, I suspect there has been a reduction in harmonic distortion, although unfortunately I don't have access to any measurement equipment at present, so I’ve no way of proving it. Some comparative high resolution HD and waterfall plots would be interesting from a technical perspective to see exactly what is going on.

I suspect these will appeal as much for their semi-custom nature, and the fact that they are hand-assembled by some very respected figures who are well known in the far-eastern driver design and manufacturing industries, as they will for their sonics. Personally, I like them. Of all the 5in wideband drive units I have heard, this is my favourite to date, and the micro arc / plasma electrolytic oxidation process as applied to the cones does in this case have an audible effect in terms of minor damping of cone resonance modes and behaviour compared to the stock 10.2.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 3rd August 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:48 PM   #159
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Having managed to twist Mark's arm (bribery and corruption), I've had the only pair of Alpair 10 MAOP units outside the far east for a couple of months; with about 700 hours on them at the time of writing, it seemed like a good time to post some general thoughts.

-The fit and finish is excellent, and the drivers are signed by the assembler (in the case of my units, by Jeff Taniguchi-san). The MAOP cone is also very nice, with a matt (in my case white) finish. In terms of aesthetics, it's a change from the grey / copper of the stock units, and while I'd rather look at Victoria Pendleton or Sarah Smart, as drive units go, it's attractive. I quite liked the hand-written (in felt tip pen) command that can be found along with the individual driver data sheets not to touch the cones. I haven't.

Presumably there is an element of self-fulfilling prophesy at work, since I am reasonably aware of what the plasma electrolytic oxidation (another term for MAO) does physically to the cone. Although the PEO / MAO process is a controlled oxidation of the cone surface rather than a coating in the usual sense, it is essentially additive and therefore provides a degree of damping. Sonically, that is what my strictly subjective impression is thus far, although it is supported by the FR graphs of these units compared to the stock drivers. Differences between the regular and MAOP units are subtle, although certainly discernible, and largely a matter of character. They are very easy to listen to for extended periods, presumably thanks to the cones having a (relative) attenuation in micro resonances compared to the raw units. At a guess, I suspect there has been a reduction in harmonic distortion, although unfortunately I don't have access to any measurement equipment at present, so I’ve no way of proving it. Some comparative high resolution HD and waterfall plots would be interesting from a technical perspective to see exactly what is going on.

I suspect these will appeal as much for their semi-custom nature, and the fact that they are hand-assembled by some very respected figures who are well known in the far-eastern driver design and manufacturing industries, as they will for their sonics. Personally, I like them. Of all the 5in wideband drive units I have heard, this is my favourite to date, and the micro arc / plasma electrolytic oxidation process as applied to the cones does in this case have an audible effect in terms of minor damping of cone resonance modes and behaviour compared to the stock 10.2.

so when you get around to a custom enclosure plan for this one, we can look forward to hard copy hand signed full scale blueprints? - none of that download PDF nonsense for the carriage trade
Old 5th August 2012, 10:57 PM   #160
diyAudio Member

Blueprints... now you're talking. Have to deliver them by carrier pigeon of course.

Either way, these are really nice little units. If you want to reproduce Orff's Carmina Burana at ~'live' SPLs and dynamic range (i.e. minimum of 90dB at the listening position & the ability to handle 120dB LF dynamic peaks), then a 5in widebander isn't likely to be the first choice of transducer, but with less extreme demands, they're excellent. It's a nice unit for simply listening to some music. Which is the point, after all.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 5th August 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!