Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1 - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 30th May 2012, 04:10 PM   #141
diyAudio Member

PLease do not misunderstand my comment. I have no doubt they they are a real value for the money asked, It was simply the fact that they were more money than i was expecting and had planned for. Initial cost were estimated at 400-500$. That was what i was thinking. BTW, I sent you an email or PM, cant remember which. Didnt know if you got it.
Old 30th May 2012, 04:20 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
PLease do not misunderstand my comment. I have no doubt they they are a real value for the money asked, It was simply the fact that they were more money than i was expecting and had planned for. Initial cost were estimated at 400-500$. That was what i was thinking. BTW, I sent you an email or PM, cant remember which. Didnt know if you got it.
Hi Buzz,
Fully understand and appreciate your comments.

The problem with "estimating" on custom build is its not possible to be always close. I have to go with the time the guys need to put these drivers together and get them right. At US$350 a driver, they're still inside moderate Lowther price country and well below most boutique makers.

Please take into account the time spent building and testing these drivers, the work put into the MAOP cone/cap sets etc.

Don't think I saw a PM. maybe best to email - thanks

Thanks
Mark.
Old 30th May 2012, 05:59 PM   #143
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post

...At US$350 a driver, they're still inside moderate Lowther price country and well below most boutique makers.

Thanks
Mark.

or less than the sales tax on the other Japanese "F" brand
Old 31st May 2012, 03:20 AM   #144
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
At US$350 a driver, they're still inside moderate Lowther price country and well below most boutique makers.
Let's not forget the best thing about DIYing, even at US$700 a pair, these are still more affordable than any high-end brand-name speakers, say Focal, B&W, KEF and so! They are asking for even more, even for entry models!
Old 31st May 2012, 08:15 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

It gets old having defend every comment that is anything other than a glowing recommendation. I own 4 pairs of MA drivers and have had 6, go through my hands. I cannot aupport Mark anymore than that. This will be th elast time i apologize for my opinion.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:05 PM   #146
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its just a timing thing. May try the 12. Mark, how long will you offer the MAOP?
...yes i'm curious about that too. Before deciding one way or another, i'd like to wait for the 12 MAOP without consequence of missing out on these, not sure i'll have that option.

MarK, how much if any of a increase in sensitivity/efficiency can we expect of the 12M?
Old 31st May 2012, 01:38 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It gets old having defend every comment that is anything other than a glowing recommendation. I own 4 pairs of MA drivers and have had 6, go through my hands. I cannot aupport Mark anymore than that. This will be th elast time i apologize for my opinion.
From the tone, it appears I've offended you. Rest assured that wasn't my intension and my apologies for any offense caused.

I spend 24/7 doing what I can to open up the world of driver making. At times like this, I'll think again about the potential fallout. A case of the road to hell is paved with many a good intension.

Mark
Old 31st May 2012, 01:43 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
...yes i'm curious about that too. Before deciding one way or another, i'd like to wait for the 12 MAOP without consequence of missing out on these, not sure i'll have that option.

MarK, how much if any of a increase in sensitivity/efficiency can we expect of the 12M?
Hi Mp9
Currently, I'm struggling to get the new Alp12 metal cone to work.

Basically, the current prototype is unstable. I've been working on reducing the mass of the power-train on the motor side the shift the C of G (centre of gravity) away from the cone, thus deceasing the load on the front suspension; Reducing the flex ratio mechanically, rather than having the re-tool the Multiform cone molds for a third time (darned expensive).

Sorry I can't be specific on timing but this is one the midnight oil over the rest of the year.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:52 PM   #149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borispm View Post
Let's not forget the best thing about DIYing, even at US$700 a pair, these are still more affordable than any high-end brand-name speakers, say Focal, B&W, KEF and so! They are asking for even more, even for entry models!
Hi Boris,
A good observation. I'd like to say allot more but I do my best to exercise restraint discussing other makers. Many of us can observe that some brands cost allot of money, but does it represent true value for money.......

At least with my work, guys get the chance to really see what we do; And an opportunity to connect with me.

Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 31st May 2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 31st May 2012, 02:07 PM   #150
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Mark,

At the risk of jumping into the frying pan - doesn't seem like JohnLL and Buzz meant to undermine the value of your drivers (or your efforts) - it's just that they are priced beyond their planned budget.

Hope you can get the A12.3 Alu cones sorted out soon - the initial info was encouraging. On the bright side it gives folks more time to try out the A12P.

Hide this!Advertise here!