Alpair's aren't woofers - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 24th February 2013, 03:16 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

Hardly surprising. Depends what you call 'moderate' SPLs and how far away from them you are too of course. In general though, a 5in wideband drive unit is not the speaker of choice for material with demanding LF dynamic range. There's a limit to how much air an 88cm^2 cone can shift.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 24th February 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 24th February 2013, 03:52 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scott. I don't usually play a lot of music with such demanding dynamic range so it was a shocker to me. Now I know.
Old 24th February 2013, 04:41 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

What kind of cabinet do you have them in? What are they tuned at? Sounds to me like the drivers are unloaded at the drum fundamental.

Bob
Old 24th February 2013, 05:24 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
What kind of cabinet do you have them in? What are they tuned at? Sounds to me like the drivers are unloaded at the drum fundamental.

Bob
The drums in that song hit down to 25-30Hz so no wonder the drivers are unloaded.
Old 24th February 2013, 07:26 PM   #85
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernoise View Post
I was playing Dadawa's Sister Drum on my Pensil 10.2 thro a myref chip amp/Pass B1 buffer. At some parts when the massive drums came in the Alpairs were moving like its going to pop out of the frame. All these at moderate volumes.

that happens to be some particularly challenging program material with which I think few folks are familiar

very chilling backstory to the title as I recall
Old 24th February 2013, 07:47 PM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
Out of curiosity, if a pair of alpair 10's do have cone distortion inflicted upon them from excessive volume, what is the auditory result afterward? I.e. will it be noticed primarily in the hi-freq range, or will the drivers just start to fall apart faster, or... ?
I'd still love any insight into this. Maybe I'm not being clear enough? Maybe nobody knows?

Once your alpairs are damaged from over excursion and the cones show shape distortion, what is the expected result?
Old 24th February 2013, 08:37 PM   #87
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
Once your alpairs are damaged from over excursion and the cones show shape distortion, what is the expected result?
Time for replacement with the old ones becoming shop templates.

dave
Old 24th February 2013, 08:58 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Time for replacement with the old ones becoming shop templates.

dave

Yes, yes, I know that the ideal is thrown out the window, but what practical changes will occur to the sound from a bent cone? Assuming that the speaker still produces sound, the voice coil isn't rubbing, etc... what is the expected auditory changes to the speaker?
Old 24th February 2013, 09:10 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

I'd wait for Mark on the definitive answer, but here's what I'd expect:

- the frequency response of the upper midrange and treble will suddenly take on "interesting" aspects: IIRC these drivers depend on some decoupling between the centre and edges of the cone when producing HF. A big disturbance in the cone material (such as from folding) will throw the decoupling way off. I'd expect some peaks and dips to appear where new resonances form and previous ones don't form so well.
- the cone will be fundamentally damaged and so more damage will occur more easily: bending metal the first time is the most difficult - try it with a spoon!

Chris
Old 24th February 2013, 09:12 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Depends on where you've deformed it, how badly, and what stresses have been transmitted to other areas of the cone. The behaviour will become increasingly unpredictable (not that we're starting from a known basis anyway, but you know what I mean) under dynamic load conditions.

Edit -to an extent Chris, but the MA units don't utilise this to the extent most other wideband drivers do -even the cone edges are still producing considerable resonant energy in the top octave.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 24th February 2013 at 09:17 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!