Alpair's aren't woofers - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 22nd February 2012, 09:32 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
Beautiful set of amps Mark! Really love that Accuphase!!
Scott
Hi Scott, Guys,
Thanks, yes I've been lucky over the years to be in a good location for finding such gems. Hong Kong and Japan are meccas for finding such gear.

Mind, most of my Mofsets are getting a bit long in the tooth. Just collected my Sony 333ex from the menders, much improved but still a tiny amount of distortion on some tracks. Its the older of the 2 sony's, done allot of hours but I can't bear to part with it. The crackle was audible for the first 30 mins but has almost disappeared so maybe it needs time to charge its capacitors? This old Sony is rather sweet and smooth, almost vintage tube-like, especially when mated to the Accuphase DP65 CD player. Bear in mind I'm using my own tweaked Alp7's with my own bespoke lightened coils; So sensitive nothing gets passed them.

I'm giving Tony's 300B a well earned rest pending some further transformer upgrades. I'm sort of wondering if we should strip out this 300B and rebuild the whole unit on a new chassis.

What I really need is to find an old Moffey amp guru here in HK who loves this stuff, can strip them down and rebuild them blind-folded (so to speak). I'd really like to do major refurbs (capacitors etc). Might consider sending overseas if there's a guru that comes highly recommended.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1477.jpg (86.0 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd February 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:45 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Zia,
I'm currently testing a new class D from Derek Shek.

Cheers
Mark.
I bought the Topping TP-60. I like this amp a lot!

Bob
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:01 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

With my pensil 10.2 a 40hz high pass reduces movement a great deal. Enough that I feel comfortable with most music at higher levels. With a 60hz high pass there is almost no perceptible cone movement. Honestly the 60hz setting is what I prefer. I just don't see the point in using these drivers to produce the low bass. I'm sure many would disagree but the fact is 60hz-20k is huge coverage. Below that range the quality of the sound is not up to Alpair standards IMHO.
Old 22nd February 2012, 12:15 PM   #64
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Zia,
I'm currently testing a new class D from Derek Shek.

Cheers
Mark.
Mark,

Is it a tripath or something else? What interconnects are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post

Bob
Same question for you sir, what interconnects are you using?

Got some Hypex UCD modules with me. Hope to put together an amp over the weekend and try it out. If all goes well, will have a Hypex UCD, Tripath TK2050, and ICEPower amp in hand for the testing.
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:39 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post

Bob

Excuse me to keep on off topic

Is that amp you mean?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPING-TP60...-/330459490296

Thanks

JC
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:43 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
To protect my CSS EL70 from being fried by my HK3490 amplifier I have put a 24dB/octave active high-pass filter at ~45Hz. Reduces cone excursion by a bit in bass-heavy songs.
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:19 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Any passive solutions? What about back to back zeners?
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:39 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Fardo View Post
Hi JC, Guys
Apologies, we have ran a bit wide of the topic, although its good to chat about amps as it helps allot of folks work on better amp-driver combinations.

This Topping looks interesting. I'm not sure about the power ratings for a class T. Can anyone educate me on the relative output comparison between class A/B, class D and class T?

Assuming the ratings aren't wildly different, the Topping might be about right for most of the Markaudio driver models. I've highlighted those specs that look significant. Anyone (Bob) experienced any "clipping" when using this type of amp with a full-range driver?

100W @ 4Ω, 1.0% THD+N
90W @ 4Ω, 0.1% THD+N
60W @ 8Ω, 0.1% THD+N
0.015% THD+N @ 70W 4Ω
0.015% THD+N @ 45W 8Ω
0.10% IHF-IM @ 25W 4Ω
Dynamic Range = 102 dB

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd February 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:12 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinetMakerRyan View Post
With my pensil 10.2 a 40hz high pass reduces movement a great deal. Enough that I feel comfortable with most music at higher levels. With a 60hz high pass there is almost no perceptible cone movement. Honestly the 60hz setting is what I prefer. I just don't see the point in using these drivers to produce the low bass. I'm sure many would disagree but the fact is 60hz-20k is huge coverage. Below that range the quality of the sound is not up to Alpair standards IMHO.
Hi Ryan, Guys,
Glad your erring on the side of safe, although don't be put off operating the drivers in the lower ranges (down to 38Hz depending on model and box combination). Like so many things in life, its a question of degree and common sense. Markaudio drivers will happily go low provided they aren't subjected to constant large LF loads. That's a job for a woofer.

We've got Alpair 10 Gen. 2 drivers chucking out low 40Hz's @ average 84dB (peak around 92dB) with around 2 to 3-mm of excursion (1 way) on the lowest bass notes from Erich Hartmann's design. This is plenty loud enough in our large studio. Playing marginally louder risks hearing damage:

Alpair 10 Gold | Markaudio

I am using nice amps that are well matched offering tight control over the driver's power-train. In particular, Tony and Kenneth's amp/transformer combo is noticeably effective. I've spent allot of time experimenting with the vent length and internal damping; And setting the positions of the cabs in our studio. So many factors can effect the performance of the driver and any subsequent over-load risk.

To be fair, I have very limited interests in heavy bass popular music. I do from time to time play some heavy duty music on my Alps. However, I've not designed Markaudio drivers to do "rock un roll" constant/repetitive heavy loud music. No Full-range driver designer has this music is his/her sights when drawing up drivers.

For those single point source Full-range Diyers who like to play some heavy duty music on their Full-rangers, common sense applies which means its best to:

1 - Apply enough restraint with vol control
2 - Make sure the amp isn't clipping
3 - Make sure the drivers aren't unloading below the port/vent tuning frequency
4 - Don't expect too much volume from a single Full-range driver, especially in a larger and/or heavily damped room.
5 - If in greater doubt, apply protective filtering, or go for a mixed driver system (FAST).

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd February 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 08:25 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Mark,
Is it a tripath or something else? What interconnects are you using?
Hi Zia,
Will check with Derek. Will be part of a listening lest this Friday with Derek and his new amp at Norio san's studio.

Cheers
Mark.

Hide this!Advertise here!