Alpair's aren't woofers - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 27th August 2011, 08:27 PM   #51
rpnfan is offline rpnfan  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
For example, on a Gen 2. Alpair 10, ideally the cone shouldn't move more than about 3 to 4-mm on a big roll of drum, or other similar dramatic moment in the music. For regular LF beat music, better to work on around 2-mm a guide. I've got vented boxes with Alp10's (G2) in them that make some very nice beefy bass when driver's moving around 1 to 2mm. Granted, not like subs but horses for courses, you can still get pleasing bass from a Full-ranger if the box is designed and made well and optimised for a particular driver.
Thanks Mark for the additional information. The suggestion of a maximum movement of 3 to 4 mm for a drum roll and about 2 mm for Low-Frequency-Music is meant one-way excursion I guess?

Is it correct that the excursion is critical and not the bass frequency. So when listening at low to mid levels the bass frequency can be quite low (around 30 Hz) without the danger to damage the driver? This is how I use the Alpair 10.2 in a nearfield (test) setup right now.
Old 27th August 2011, 08:53 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpnfan View Post
Thanks Mark for the additional information. The suggestion of a maximum movement of 3 to 4 mm for a drum roll and about 2 mm for Low-Frequency-Music is meant one-way excursion I guess?

Is it correct that the excursion is critical and not the bass frequency. So when listening at low to mid levels the bass frequency can be quite low (around 30 Hz) without the danger to damage the driver? This is how I use the Alpair 10.2 in a nearfield (test) setup right now.
Hi R,

Yes, its 1 way.

Yes, the excursion is critical and generating low frequencies are fine.

For those who've just joined this thread: A good optimised box design will generate low frequencies without the need for large excursions from the driver. If the driver's excursion is regularly being extended (Alpair 10, 2-mm 1 way), the box has design limitations, play volumes must be kept lower to avoid damaging the driver. This applies to most all Full-Range drivers and many smaller woofers.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 27th August 2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 21st February 2012, 11:35 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Is there any reasonably neutral way of "protecting" full range drivers? I'm thinking of things like accidental damage, particularly when using some bigger solid state amps etc?

I've seen references to using k to k zeners etc, but is there anything definitive on this?

Fran
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:06 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
Is there any reasonably neutral way of "protecting" full range drivers? I'm thinking of things like accidental damage, particularly when using some bigger solid state amps etc?

I've seen references to using k to k zeners etc, but is there anything definitive on this?

Fran
Hi Fran (Guys),
As a fan of Japanese large solid state amps (Sansui, Accuphase and Sony TAF's), I realise there are various possibilities for accidental overloading the drivers. The wife/partner's enthusiastic dusting of the amp's faceplate, or kiddies twiddling the control knobs are 2 of several causes of blown drivers. I've trained myself to check the volume control every time prior to powering up.

Electrically, the recommendation will always fall on the side of matching the load to the amp's output. For example, on a 6" Full ranger around 90dB efficiency, a 50 to 70 watt class A/B solid state amp should be more than sufficient. That said, for many traditional solid state owners, 100+ watts class A/B are likely more popular.

I know several guys here in HK running large amps using CHR, Alpair 7's (mostly Gen 1's and 2's) who've added a resistor in series between the amp and driver to effect an increased load. Also, Bob Brines has mentioned protective filtering in several posts.

If like me, you wish to remain a "purist-minimalist" and not go the filter rout, then best to operate your set-up with due restraint when turning up the Volume control.

Cheers
Mark.

BTW - getting my All Japan Sony TAF-333EX back from the repairers to today! Love this amp (have 2 of them). Here's my Solid state amp collection to date:

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/e-308_e.pdf
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SONY-ES.../ta-f3000.html
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SONY-ES...a-f333esx.html
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/...lpha907dr.html

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd February 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:35 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

AH, yes! Reminds me of the Sansui 5000A and the Akai tape decks I dragged back from the Veitnam unpleasantness.

Bob
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:41 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
AH, yes! Reminds me of the Sansui 5000A and the Akai tape decks I dragged back from the Veitnam unpleasantness.

Bob
Hello Bob,
Hope you're doing well. If you wish, feel free to offer advice on protective filtering. Your knowledge on this will be likely greater than mine.

PS -I'm hunting for a Luxman L 503 (see pic) if anyone has this beast.

Cheers
Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (170.5 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 22nd February 2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:58 AM   #57
zman01 is online now zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
BTW - getting my All Japan Sony TAF-333EX back from the repairers to today! Love this amp (have 2 of them). Here's my Solid state amp collection to date:

http://www.accuphase.com/cat/e-308_e.pdf
SONY TA-F3000の仕様 ソニー
SONY プリメインアンプTA-F333ESXの仕様 ソニー
SANSUI プリメインアンプAU-α907DRの仕様 サンスイ
Mark,

Nice amps!

Have you considered one of the top of the line Class-D amps like Hypex Encore or a good one based on a Tripath chipset? I guess lot of customers are trying out Class-D nowadays, and it might be worthwhile for you to expereince them with your drivers first hand?

-Zia
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:09 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Mark,

Nice amps!

Have you considered one of the top of the line Class-D amps like Hypex Encore or a good one based on a Tripath chipset? I guess lot of customers are trying out Class-D nowadays, and it might be worthwhile for you to expereince them with your drivers first hand?

-Zia
Hi Zia,
I'm currently testing a new class D from Derek Shek.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:15 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Beautiful set of amps Mark! Really love that Accuphase!!

Scott
Old 22nd February 2012, 05:29 AM   #60
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The Luxman always punched my buttons

when I was young enough, sometimes even twice in one evening

Hide this!Advertise here!