Harm in running Pencil 7's full range? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 6th July 2011, 07:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EvilYoda
Default Harm in running Pencil 7's full range?

Hi all - I recently finished a pair of Pencil 7's (only to find out about the Gen. 3 hardware! LOL) and am powering them with some old equipment (integrated amps from the 70s and 80s) since my normal system is all in boxes. Anyway, this means that I'm not running any low or high pass filters so I was wondering if this could harm the speakers?

If so, it'd be a good reason for me to pick up a miniDSP as I've been looking to play with one of those anyway.

Lastly, no pictures...these are my first attempt at making speakers and they're not the prettiest boxes on the planet.
Old 6th July 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilYoda View Post
Hi all - I recently finished a pair of Pencil 7's (only to find out about the Gen. 3 hardware! LOL) and am powering them with some old equipment (integrated amps from the 70s and 80s) since my normal system is all in boxes. Anyway, this means that I'm not running any low or high pass filters so I was wondering if this could harm the speakers?

If so, it'd be a good reason for me to pick up a miniDSP as I've been looking to play with one of those anyway.

Lastly, no pictures...these are my first attempt at making speakers and they're not the prettiest boxes on the planet.
provided you follow Mark's driver break-in procedures, and aren't playing at silly SPLs or with a lot of deep bass / movie sound effects, etc., you should be fine.

I suspect that more Alpair drivers have been damaged in handling before /during installation than with music itself - that's certainly been the case for Dave & I
Old 7th July 2011, 12:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EvilYoda
Yeah, I followed the procedures, plus I left the speakers at my friend's house (he has the woodworking equipment) and he and his wife listen to everything at low levels.

I guess I'll stop worrying then...might still pick up a miniDSP just for the heck of it. Regardless, I'm loving these speakers so far!

Hide this!Advertise here!