diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Markaudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/)
-   -   Jim Griffin A10.2 MLTL with variation (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/192034-jim-griffin-a10-2-mltl-variation.html)

jazzkido 4th July 2011 03:59 PM

Jim Griffin A10.2 MLTL with variation

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys! Just want to document my effort. Back in March, thanks to help from Dave P10-Hifi and Jim Griffin, I obtained plan for a MLTL for Alpair 10.2. I am not a carpenter so I have contacted Tony from Twins Audio to help me built the cabinets. I change the vents to sloted vents as my personal preference. Tony provided the A10.2, grills, and empty cabinets. I installed the damping materials, the grills, the binding posts, the cabinet bottom boards, and the drivers to finish the job. It is still breaking in with only 30 hours so far. Here are the photos.

Jozua 4th July 2011 06:41 PM

Boytjie

Very nice !!

How do they sound?

Jozua

jazzkido 5th July 2011 09:12 AM

Jozua,

I am still in the process of gently breaking in the drivers so cannot have a serious listen yet. So far, it seems that there is ample bass energy and good 3D imaging. I shall post more observations in due course.

Michael

Jim Griffin 5th July 2011 08:00 PM

Michael,

Those are beautiful speakers. I hope that their sound will be just as impressive.

Jim

jazzkido 6th July 2011 04:07 AM

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your comments.

The sound is opening up gradually and I have already noticed that the top and low ends have good extensions. I put my ear closed to the cabinets and found that there is may be just a bit of colouring from the back of the cabinets may be because of the fully opened back panels. I think I may have to add more damping materials to cover the back panels and the seams.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with the speakers and the cabinets. Thank you for sharing your plan. I can hardly wait for the speakers to be fully ran in.

Michael

naturallmystic 6th July 2011 08:47 PM

Very nice. Congratulations!

jazzkido 8th July 2011 02:13 AM

Dear naturallmystic,
Thank you!
Michael

jazzkido 8th July 2011 02:29 AM

Dear Mark,

I just read your comments on not running the drivers continuously on the other post!! I hope I haven't done any damages to the drivers because I was running them in overnight for 8-10 hours a time but at very low volume. I was originally thinking of running the drivers 24/7 but I was more concerned with my tube amp overheating more so than the drivers.

Just a thought. Do you think it would help to include an instruction sheet with your drivers with all the installation details, specifications of the drivers, and most importantly, the cautions?

Best regards,
Michael

jazzkido 17th August 2011 02:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have always wanted to experiment with a front loading horn for the A10.2. After searches on the internet i found these. They are a pair of mid range horn that will fit a 5.5 inch driver. The tongue is removable.

jazzkido 17th August 2011 02:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have a pair of extra grills frames available so I have attached the pair of horns to these grill frames. Took out the tongues from the horns. Here is the result.