Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 17th August 2011, 03:05 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Here is the result. First listening experience with the horn is that all characteristics are magnified. More dynamics, more bass, more pronunced sound stage, more detail,.............well.........just more of everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC14511.JPG (337.7 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg SNC14513.JPG (323.7 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg SNC14509.JPG (388.3 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg SNC14515.JPG (361.3 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg SNC14514.JPG (345.2 KB, 269 views)
Old 17th August 2011, 03:30 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Wow those are beautiful! Very interesting idea about front horn loading them. I bet it really helps out with directivity but does it make them too bright? They look REALLY cool! Any chance you can send me the plans or did you purchase them? I like how big they are. Bigger the better!!
Old 17th August 2011, 04:04 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Dear skeeter99, on the contrary, the horns made them less bright. As mentioned, everything became more and at the same time larger imaging. So, some of the brighter highs without the horn has now smoothen out with the horns. In general, a little more easier listening. The horns were purchased off the shelf from china.alibaba.com from a Guangzhou supplier and have them shipped to Hong Kong. There weren't any plans, I just improvised when installing the horns. By fitting the horns to removable grill frames, I can choose to listen with or without the horns on my Jim Griffin built.
Old 17th August 2011, 06:29 PM   #14
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Jazzkido, interesting experiment you got going there. Like Skeeter99 I though that the horns would mainly amplify mids and high and make the speakers overly bright. Wonder how this would apply to other designs...

Scott, good to see you posting again at the forum. Are the Alp 12s still in the Super Pensils or you building something else?
Old 17th August 2011, 06:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Jazzkido, interesting experiment you got going there. Like Skeeter99 I though that the horns would mainly amplify mids and high and make the speakers overly bright. Wonder how this would apply to other designs...

Scott, good to see you posting again at the forum. Are the Alp 12s still in the Super Pensils or you building something else?
I moved from Seattle down to Portland for work (got a promotion) so I've been busy getting my house ready for renters and getting a new townhouse. All settled in now and back to biz

My A12's are still in the SuperPensils that I STILL have yet to finish! LOL! Gotta make a center too, my system desperately needs one.

I'd be interested if the horns would help create a more defined "phantom center" with the Pensils?

Scott
Old 17th August 2011, 07:22 PM   #16
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Scott,

Congratulations on your promotion and good to know that you're now all set in Portland. Moving is never easy.

Talk about finishing... I haven't got to adjusting the damping in my Super Pensil's yet, though the Acoustastuf came about 2 weeks back! I've finished the Half Towers and my CHR-Kens and been playing the Half Towers for the past couple of days. Also in the process of doing 2 more builds.

For center I've read that the same driver as the fronts is advised for vocal purity. In that case you will need another Alp 12 for your center.

-Zia
Old 17th August 2011, 07:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Scott,

Congratulations on your promotion and good to know that you're now all set in Portland. Moving is never easy.

Talk about finishing... I haven't got to adjusting the damping in my Super Pensil's yet, though the Acoustastuf came about 2 weeks back! I've finished the Half Towers and my CHR-Kens and been playing the Half Towers for the past couple of days. Also in the process of doing 2 more builds.

For center I've read that the same driver as the fronts is advised for vocal purity. In that case you will need another Alp 12 for your center.

-Zia
Zia,

Thanks for the kind words, its been a good move overall.

Wow! Full plate! Sounds like a lot of fun!! Unfortunately I lost access to a good woodworking shop (was using my dad's) during the move so making new speakers will be MUCH more difficult now. I'd really like to do some FH3's though or maybe these Griffins for the A12. Fun to try out different enclosures with the same driver to see how it affects the sound.

I'm really waiting for an A12 center but its going to have to be SUPER thin due to my new listening environment and the way its arranged. We'll see what the guys come up with and how I can tweak it

Scott
Old 17th August 2011, 07:28 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzkido View Post
Here is the result. First listening experience with the horn is that all characteristics are magnified. More dynamics, more bass, more pronunced sound stage, more detail,.............well.........just more of everything!
So what are the dimensions of these bad boys? Are there plans somewhere I can look at to get a better idea of the design?

Scott
Old 17th August 2011, 08:48 PM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Scott, we've chatted privately a bit about the A12 center, and you're aware why it'll be a week or so before you see anything "on paper".

All I'll add for the moment is that I used to be a fan of the phantom center (as much due to ergonomic considerations as anything), but after playing about with a new surround rig starting a few months ago, have definitely been converted. A high quality, discrete center channel speaker is very important, and in my opinion should be at least equal to the L&R mains - the (now up to 4?) surrounds can likely (or perhaps need to ) be "compromised" in most domestic situations without severe penalty.

Last edited by chrisb; 17th August 2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 17th August 2011, 08:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Scott, we've chatted privately a bit about the A12 center, and you're aware why it'll be a week or so before you see anything "on paper".

All I'll add for the moment is that I used to be a fan of the phantom center (as much due to ergonomic considerations as anything), but after playing about with a new surround rig starting a few months ago, have definitely been converted. A high quality, discrete center channel speaker is very important, and in my opinion should be at least equal to the L&R mains - the (now up to 4?) surrounds can likely (or perhaps need to ) be "compromised" in most domestic situations without severe penalty.
Yup, no worries about waiting a week or so. I won't be buying anything till next month most likely I just like to get stuff figured out

I've never been a huge fan of a phantom center as I've had extremely good centers for a long time, my new setup makes having one of my previous centers completely impossible due to their size so I've sold them off and now am just going to wait for the "right" one

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!