Near-field listening - suitable designs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 30th June 2011, 06:58 PM   #1
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default Near-field listening - suitable designs

Hi all, for near-field listening usage, what are some of the designs you would recommend with MA drivers?

Please state your preferred driver+cabinet combination.

-Zia
Old 30th June 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Since they are 1-way, pretty much whatever fits on your desk. You comments re distance and CHR might have you looking at something with a softer top end, and with the likelihood of a less than top-notch amp one of the drivers that doesn't lay bare an amps shortcomings. Sounds like CHP would be best suited.

dave
Old 30th June 2011, 07:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Dave,

You've guessed one of my shortlisted drivers right away .

BTW, I've been playing the CHR-Kens everyday and have been very impressed by what this driver cab combo can do. Surprise of surprises is that the brightness on the top end got further reduced when played with a Class-T amp. The extra watts of my Dayton DTA-100 also give more mid-bass oomph and low end authority. However I feel some of the musical "magic" is gone with the T amp vs tube amps.

But one thing, in my room(s), the deci-size Ken sounds better starting from 6 feet distance from the speakers... typical near field would cal for short distances i.e starting say, from a meter?

Two other designs that came to my mind were mMars with CHR-70 and mMars-Ken6 with Alp 6 (probably with metal cone for "warm" sound").

-Zia
Old 30th June 2011, 08:10 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The lower output impedance of the T-amp would support the hypothesis that a zobel could help with your other amp.

mMarS is fine for CHR70, 70.2, 70.3 will be getting a mCHR-Ken70.3. mMar-Kel6 is too big for A6.2m, for A6.2p leave out the vent spacer.

dave
Old 30th June 2011, 08:29 PM   #5
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

Especially for nearfield listening, I think you could certainly do better for a Tripath amplifier than the Dayton for a similar price. Though utilizing the lower output TA2020, the Topping TP20 or the Hlly TAmp20 are fairly well regarded for sound quality compared to the TK2050 Dayton, and with forum-documented tweaking options. Just my humble opinion.
Old 30th June 2011, 08:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input von.ah - I will look them up.

Btw, how's your Castle Micro Tower project coming along?
Old 1st July 2011, 03:23 PM   #7
von Ah is offline von Ah  United States
diyAudio Member

The MicroTowers are coming along fine. I'm just eagerly awaiting updates from evanc.

I use a Hlly TAmp20 in my office with nearfield speakers and am more than satisfied. First with TB W4-930SF and then breaking in my four EL70s. See The Minimus 7 solution
Even at very low listening levels (peaks ~70db) I can get pretty good detail.
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Von,

To tell you the truth, it's not detail that I miss with the Dayton... I don't like the sonic signature compared to the 3-4 tube amps I am using. This is purely subjective from my side based on the amps I got , and I am not saying that tube sound is better than solid state or vice versa. If I am getting another chip amp, definitely I will keep the TP20 and the TAmp20 on the shortlist.

-Zia

Hide this!Advertise here!