Alpair 6M build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 20th May 2011, 02:44 AM   #1
TISONN is offline TISONN  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 6M build

Hello all,

Here's some pictures of my first Markaudio build for my own use. I needed music upstairs in my house since my main 5.1 (5.3?) system is downstairs with the tv. The first owner of the house had wired in speaker terminals for his surround speakers when his tv was upstairs, so I wanted to use them for providing ambient music upstairs in the long relatively narrow living room / kitchen.

I run them from a Sonos ZP120 and use an Aurasound 10" sealed subwoofer I built months ago for bass. They are new Alpair 6M drivers in an 8.3L box with a 47mm ID port 150mm long, built out of 18mm baltic birch and covered with African Mahogany crotch swirl veneer. I tried Deftane Brushing Laquer for the first time and while they look good in the pictures, I did not get the finish very level an will have to sand and polish after they harden for a while. I think I will stick to Danish Oil in the future.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 20th May 2011, 04:35 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Those are quite stunning.

How do you like the sound?

dave
Old 20th May 2011, 12:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They sound very nice. They only have a couple quiet hours on them so far, so I have not asked much of them yet.

I'm also not a very critical ear, and this room is certainly not set up as a dedicated music room, so I'm not going to be dissapointed if they don't blow me away with their imaging and soundstage after break-in time!

After discovering this site and the personal approach Mark has with his customers I don't anticipate using any other manufacturer anytime soon! Here's a picture of a centre channel I built for a friend after he described how he has difficulty hearing dialogue with clarity on his old 5.1 system. Since I built this he went out and replaced his old receiver an is now eagerly awaiting the release of the new CHR-70 so I can build more speakers for him! The curve on the front follows the contour of his tv stand, since this is installed with a 50" Samsung plasma tv standing on top of it.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th May 2011, 05:12 PM   #4
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

gorgeous work, and elegant solution on the "ambient / surround" pair

you make the table as well?
Old 20th May 2011, 10:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

hahaha thanks! Did not make the table, $140 from Jysk
Old 20th May 2011, 11:43 PM   #6
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi Tisonn - Grrrrrrrrrreat work!!!!

I (and I think others too) would enjoy seeing some of your construction "how-to's) the next time you get around to knocking something together.
Old 23rd May 2011, 02:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am very much a beginner still, more in the 'how-not-to' kind of stage

Now that they are getting more time on them I've turned it up a bit. They sound great, and have no problem filling a 12' X 30' room! I've seen music suggestions in other threads, I would certainly submit Sade and Sara McLachlan as required listening. They sound good any any system I am sure, but if 'Angel' by Sara McLachlan doesn't give you a bit of a chill on your Markaudio speakers you need a new hobby
Old 24th May 2011, 01:04 AM   #8
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISONN View Post
I am very much a beginner still, more in the 'how-not-to' kind of stage

Now that they are getting more time on them I've turned it up a bit. They sound great, and have no problem filling a 12' X 30' room! I've seen music suggestions in other threads, I would certainly submit Sade and Sara McLachlan as required listening. They sound good any any system I am sure, but if 'Angel' by Sara McLachlan doesn't give you a bit of a chill on your Markaudio speakers you need a new hobby

I sat down about 10 minutes ago for the first serious listening session in my little cave in quite a while, and thought that Loreena - Nights from the Alhambra would make a good start.
Alpair 10.2 /Mar-Ken10 /3.5 watts of EL84PP triode - if Penelope's Song or Dante's Prayer don't give you at least goosebumps, you need a soul transplant, not just a new hobby .
Old 16th August 2013, 09:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, on the sheet of Alpair 7 dMar-Ken7a Centre, there is an annoucement of a centre design for the alpair 6m (coming soon). The sheet is 2 years old. Can you tell me where to find the design? I need a smaller one than the alpair 7. The cMarS Centre that would be a bit smaller, if that design is available, it would als be of great help.
Old 26th August 2013, 05:43 PM   #10
TYSON J is offline TYSON J  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default new image links

noticed the image links are gone, plus my old user name in the new-computer-shuffle.

Hide this!Advertise here!