Skeeter's SuperPensil12 Build - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 31st October 2011, 10:16 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Have you considered a "flay alkyd" wall paint? It's an oil-based wall paint that has a very fine rough texture after it dries (it's a wall paint after all). That fine roughness provides a bit of porous nature to the finish and allows varnish to get some "traction" and penetration into the coating. Furthermore, there is some compatibility between the oil-based wall paint and oil-based varnish (or urethane / polyurethane) You can put a couple of coats of oil-based paints on the cabinets (I think at least two coats) then start to build on coats of varnish sanding VERY LIGHTLY between the first couple of coats of varnish. After about 3 coats of varnish, a good gloss should appear.

If you want a good glossy finish, apply 4 - 6 coats high gloss polyurethane, sand lightly with very fine sandpaper (even 320 is OK) between coats. After the last coat go over the surface with 0000 steel wool, then rub with pumice and buff with "rotten stone" or automotive finish compound. Always remove the dust with a tack cloth (cheesecloth dampened with varnish). The result will be a hard glossy finish that can be enhanced and protected with wax or fine furniture polish.
Old 31st October 2011, 10:22 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

I've never heard of that wall paint. Seems like quite the process and maybe more than I'd want to do for a first try attempt on such large cabinets. Maybe if I build surrounds though?? I think it would look good from what you describe and a hard finish would be nice ... Thanks for the RECO!!
Old 1st November 2011, 12:37 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Its not that hard to do.

Any enamel will work under varnish, you can even use floor urethanes, as long as you don't put water based over oil based. The other way round is OK, though.
Try this, though. Prime to seal and build a base. Sand thoroughly to 220. Build your colour coats, sand to 220, apply a clear coat, sand to 360, rub out with 0000 steel wool, then apply a couple coats of Tung oil, one per day. You'll get the colour, and the Tung oil will give a deep luster...and no dust problems.!
Old 1st November 2011, 03:47 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Ingram View Post
Its not that hard to do.

Any enamel will work under varnish, you can even use floor urethanes, as long as you don't put water based over oil based. The other way round is OK, though.
Try this, though. Prime to seal and build a base. Sand thoroughly to 220. Build your colour coats, sand to 220, apply a clear coat, sand to 360, rub out with 0000 steel wool, then apply a couple coats of Tung oil, one per day. You'll get the colour, and the Tung oil will give a deep luster...and no dust problems.!
Hmm, the wife likes that idea. So do you rub out with 0000 steel whoole in between each coat of the Tung oil? It sounds like it'd really bring out that blue/gray I'm going for and make it hard and long lasting too. Is Teak Oil the same as Tung oil?
Old 1st November 2011, 04:48 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Teak oil is NOT tung oil. Tung oil is made from the tung nut and is a kind of very hard varnish.
Old 1st November 2011, 04:59 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

No, its not the same, but should work well enough and the technique would be the same. I've tried Watco's Teak Oil and it is much thicker than tung oil. Try some experiments on scrap.

Tung oil is widely available in most paint stores. Yes, apply it with 0000 steel wool, it burnishes as it applies. Makes sure that you buff the fresh oil application with a clean cloth (like cotton). Too much oil left sitting will just dry and get gummy. You can rub it out with fresh oil, but that is harder than buffing. You don't need to go crazy buffing, just rub it as much as you would rub your dishes dry after washing them.

Keep your hands clean by wearing gloves while you work. Latex gloves are great for this. Even if you're working clean, its amazing how much will still get on your fingers. Tung oil is non toxic as it is made from Tung nuts, but still...
Old 1st November 2011, 12:27 PM   #117
dondiba is offline dondiba  France
diyAudio Member

Default how does it sound?

hi,
OK for the wood finishing but, how does it sound?
what kind of music is it good for : rock, classical, piano, voices???
let us know , please
if it's really good, i'll want to buy a pair ;-)
dondiba
Old 1st November 2011, 02:53 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondiba View Post
hi,
OK for the wood finishing but, how does it sound?
what kind of music is it good for : rock, classical, piano, voices???
let us know , please
if it's really good, i'll want to buy a pair ;-)
dondiba
Dondiba,

Yeah the thread has gone all over the place but in the first couple pages I do give my impressions of the speakers. To sum up, I replaced a very nice set of Strata Mini's (2k beautiful multi-way speakers) with these. Do the Supers do EVERYTHING PERFECTLY, no of course not. For me the biggest trade offs are pure SPL for movies and hard hitting authoritative bass. Do these dig pretty deep? They sure do but are they going to hit you in the gut with drum kicks? Probably not. For me, I've always loved hard hitting bass so its taken some getting used to but the bass is there and its clean. I really feel these shine from probably 100-150hz on up. Its not that they lack anything down low, its just not the bass I'm used to. But once I get past that, its smooth sailing. They are clear clear clear and image VERY well. For me, if a speaker can't image properly I can't listen to them and these speakers definitely present a very realistic image. They aren't overly bright but rather revealing and true to the recording. The 12's may not be as revealing as the 7's but for me they are just right. Vocals are not just clear but they have weight and texture ie they don't appear thin and veiled. Chesty tracks have weight to the sound without ever sounding boomy.

Apologies, I'm not all that great about describing what I hear plus I've had them disconnected for almost a month as I finish them ever so slowly! LOL! Also, I didn't have the bracing finished when I first had them hooked up and the cabinets were pretty resonant (I would HIGHLY recommend doing the bracing for this large cabinet, it really is necessary). Now the cabinets are much more solid and panel resonance has been cut down dramatically. I still feel there is more that needs to be done to make the cabinets dead but that can be added later.

I would definitely recommend these speakers and this cabinet design specifically. Coming from only listening to multi-way designs and having some very nice ones as well, I feel that the compromises that these present are worth it for the overall sound these portray. Just my 2cents though

Scott
Old 1st November 2011, 11:07 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Nice project, congrats.

Norman
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:55 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
Nice project, congrats.

Norman
Thanks Norman!