Steven's Alpair 10.2 Pensil Build Log - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 18th April 2011, 03:44 PM   #1
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Steven's Alpair 10.2 Pensil Build Log

Hey guys, just wanted to start a build log for my Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 Super Pensil cabinets. I just took these photos and will continue to post more each day as I progress with the build. It may take a week or two to be completely finished due to my hectic schedule so stay tuned for finished photos.First, I programmed the parts on my CNC router and cut them out of 13-ply void free plywood. The speaker cutout is perfect and all parts are accurate to 1/1000th of an inch. After cutting everything out I realized that I didn't calculate for a removeable back (I have no more material). I'll be putting the recommended .75ft^3 of stuffing per cubic foot inside and hoping for the best. Or if anyone has any input and would like to comment pleaes do so. I've only got one shot at this and I'd like to get it perfect.
Edit: For some reason I'm not allowed to post photos. If anyone could offer some advice please let me know.
Old 18th April 2011, 04:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
Edit: For some reason I'm not allowed to post photos. If anyone could offer some advice please let me know.
Hi Steve,
You should be OK to load photos. Make sure the file size is not so big (up to 200kb is usually OK)

Thanks
Mark.
Old 18th April 2011, 04:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey Mark,It must be something to do with my low post count or something. In the "addition options" part of the post reply in the "attach files" section there is nothing for me to click. All it states is the valid file extensions but there's nowhere to upload files. All I can do is wait for a mod or someone to reply to the email I sent about this problem.
Old 18th April 2011, 04:51 PM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Is there something wrong with the server/system? The attach function is not working for too.
Old 18th April 2011, 04:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing problems. I looked at your build log Zman, looks great!
Old 18th April 2011, 05:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is my favorite image-hosting service: imgur: the simple image sharer

It's faster and easier than attaching to the diyaudio.com messages, and it saves site bandwidth too!
Old 18th April 2011, 07:10 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
Mark Audio Alpair 10.2 Super Pensil cabinets
Do you mean Alpair10.2 Pensil build

or Alpair12 Super Pensel build?

No A10.2 Super Pensil (that i am aware of)

Attachments are currently broken (i suspect a side effect of tuning happening elsewhere..

dave
Old 18th April 2011, 07:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's faster and easier than attaching to the diyaudio.com messages, and it saves site bandwidth too!
The big drawback is that in a couple of years they probably won't be hosted anymore or removed by the owner. And then this thread becomes useless.
Old 18th April 2011, 07:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Indeed I did mean regular Pensil. My mind must've been somewhere else when I posted that title. I guess since my Pensil 10.2 has identicle internal bracing as a Super Pensil I was thinking it was "Super". Hahaha, my mistake. Progress was made on my lunch break. I put a 1/4" roundover on all internal parts and bracing openings (minus the sides that join to the outside walls, of course). I glued and nailed together all of the internal bracing and will move along with the build after work (in about 4 hours) I've been taking photos of my progress but will not post them until the kinks get worked out on this site. As Bas Horneman stated once the files are uploaded on this server they'll be a permanent fixture of the build log instead of a temporary fix like the various image hosting services.

Last edited by StevenZ; 18th April 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 18th April 2011, 07:31 PM   #10
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

StevenZ,

Look forward to your pics once the attachments start working again.

Bracing is highly recommended by the experts for the bigger Pensil cabs; they are a bit tough to do, but should be worthwhile!

Have you started to break in the drivers?

-Zia

Hide this!Advertise here!