Alpair selection... - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 15th May 2011, 09:57 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your insight Dave, very interesting. The perennial problem with DIY audio is we have to take a leap of faith, sniffing out what we think might work for us from what we have learned before. I'm off piste in the full range world here and enjoying it, but as usual asking questions produces more questions than answers.

Its treble purity between the Alpairs that I'd like to know more about. Lispy and phasey HF is what turns me off more than anything. If you can give your impressions there, I'd be grateful!
Old 15th May 2011, 12:58 PM   #22
VFR800A is offline VFR800A  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 7

Simon,

I have been experimenting with the Alpair 7s and they're really quite nice. I have not heard the 10.2s. I still have not committed to a box yet but I'm leaning toward Dave's/Scott's Wide Classic GR dMar-Ken7. I've built boxes out of cardboard and they image like bandits, are clean and transparent, with exceptional detail and tonality. I love 'em. The top end is quite satisfactory. I think top end quality and extension has a lot to do with the amp as well (maybe more than driver). One of the best I've heard was done by Greenvalve Audio. It's a 417A RC VT-25 (10, 10Y, 801A) amp that uses fixed bias, mercury vapor rectification and russian 6c45p as a driver. Only 1 watt or so though.

Search YouTube for "Greenvalve Audio Latest" and "Greenvalve Audio introducing the Luddite 210 tube amp."

Jim
Old 15th May 2011, 02:03 PM   #23
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave for sharing the listening impressions.

You never build any Pensil 12s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
The perennial problem with DIY audio is we have to take a leap of faith, sniffing out what we think might work for us from what we have learned before.
Simon,

IMHO the questions and curiosity, testing out of theories, trying things out by yourself, failures, success (and vindication, major and minor) are all part of what DIY audio so much fun.

Even after a set of questions are answered, probably a new set will turn up in your head!

-Zia
Old 15th May 2011, 03:06 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR800A View Post
I think top end quality and extension has a lot to do with the amp as well (maybe more than driver).
I agree Jim, I've toiled long and hard to rid my replay chain of digititus, HF grit and grain.. I don't want to give that up.

Zia, of course its why I'm here, you sure don't save any time or money DIYing! It's the journey that's fun.
Old 15th May 2011, 04:06 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Top-End Extension of Alpair 7

The ultimate test instruments for me are my wife and young children. I just played some cuts for them with a good amount of top-end work and they all sat for quite some time captivated (rare). Wife's comments were, "It's crystal clear and smooth." I described some words to her like "shimmer" and "decay" and she agreed. Sounds lifelike. I have no complaints.

Now, my olds Altecs with 811B horns and a little Hendirx will keep them from setting foot in the house ! Vinyl's a bit more forgiving but they still run from the room. Those are used for home theater now. I have another pair that are modified with wood horns, etc, which are MUCH nicer.

To me, the Alpair 7s are all about finesse.

Jim
Old 15th May 2011, 05:45 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default World Class Cabinets for Alpair 7s

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5088.JPG (143.5 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5092.JPG (172.5 KB, 336 views)
Old 15th May 2011, 06:46 PM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR800A View Post
To me, the Alpair 7s are all about finesse.
Jim has it here.

Simon,

None of the gen 2 Alpairs (A7, A10.2, A12) i have heard have any hint of the edgy weirdness in the HF that bugged me about the 1ast set of JX92S i had (i called them unlistenable -- the set i have now are better), or that the G1 Alpairs had a hint of. This is a faukt that doesn't seem to be an issue with most people.

Do note that most of my listening has been with treated drivers, and, at least in the G1 Alpair (and CHR) treatment i apply was able to reduce or kill the top end issues mentioned above.

dave
Old 15th May 2011, 06:54 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
You never build any Pensil 12s?
I wish we were in a position to build everything. Out own boxes are most important to us (since some of the plans cost money we need to make sure they work).

Besides resources to build the box, i dislike having boxes with no drivers. We also already end up too many development boxes, and rarely get enuff or them to cover costs (when they do sell, anyone wants a really good value on a set of speakers come on up the mountain and do some shopping)

dave
Old 15th May 2011, 08:29 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave and Jim.

Nice grunge build there Jim!
Old 15th May 2011, 10:40 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks

Thank you. Just experimenting.

Note, the small bookshelves will provide "just about" adequate bass in a small room. I'd say 180 sq. ft. to 150 sq ft. or less.

Big rooms need not apply.

Hide this!Advertise here!