Alpair selection... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 9th May 2011, 06:06 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
I'd go with the 10.2, it'll give you a greater Band Width i.e. bass extension - treble then the A7 which will image better but i suspect the 10.2 will do nicely too.
I'm slightly confused. Are you saying the A10.2 has better treble than the A7?
Old 9th May 2011, 07:37 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I now have the A7, A10.2, and A12 all in proper miniOnken/Mar-Kens. The recent arrival of the full-on Mark-Ken12 has me re-evaluating the A12 after forming an initial opinion based on listening to the Classic GR.

I'll throw in my 2-bits worth when i get a good chance to sit down and listen to all 3 in the same session.

dave
Old 9th May 2011, 07:41 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Cool, look foward to it, thanks Dave
Old 9th May 2011, 11:40 PM   #14
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
I'm slightly confused. Are you saying the A10.2 has better treble than the A7?
No, that the larger driver A10.2 will have more lower end so a greater band width, bass to treble than the A7.
I haven't heard any of them and don't know which has better treble extension. If it where me i'd get the A10.2 however as it is i'm running a 3.5watt 2A3 amp so doing my best to hold out for the next gen A12.2 when they become available.
Old 10th May 2011, 08:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

The beautiful Frugel-Horn Mk3 cabinet takes A7s ...
Old 10th May 2011, 08:58 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristleifur View Post
The beautiful Frugel-Horn Mk3 cabinet takes A7s ...
...but will they drive a 30' x 18' x 9.5' room without straining at a reasonable level?
Old 10th May 2011, 12:59 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...but will they drive a 30' x 18' x 9.5' room without straining at a reasonable level?
I'd probably take the 10.2s - It's a safer bet.

Then I'd pester the Frugel-Horn designers to get to be a beta tester for the thus-far hinted-at larger-driver FHMk3

Or A7's and a subwoofer ... Supposedly the mids and highs are a bit better in the smaller drivers ... Are you interested in a FAST system? An MJK-style OB perhaps with a big woofer?
Old 10th May 2011, 01:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

10.2s on paper do look good for a one driver solution, which would be prefered. Fast is good in principle too, so I would look at that IF the A7's hf was better resolved than the 10.2. I do intend to play around with a PLLXO with my A6p's at some point.

It's the character of the HF that concerns me more than anything, Mark had pointed out that this is not the A6p's strength so I was cool with that for my desktop. I do want a little more HF refinement for my main system. I haven't heard any metal MA drivers at all, so I wondered how they compare.
Old 10th May 2011, 08:26 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Depends on what reasonable levels are. I was happy with them in my room.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs...ing-space.html

dave
Old 15th May 2011, 07:15 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I now have the A7, A10.2, and A12 all in proper miniOnken/Mar-Kens.
Quote:
Cool, look foward to it, thanks Dave
Bernie came down from Nanaimo today and Chris came out for an Alpair tasting.

Alpair12eN in Bernie's solid Douglas Fir Mar-Ken12 (note: Doug Fir is a pine tree. The actual material had been aging on Bernie's floor for 70 years)
Alpair10.2eN in Baltic Birch ply (cherry veneer) Mar-Ken10.2.
Alpair7eN in stranded bamboo plywood dMar-Ken7

Drivers all with the same level of treatment & matching, boxes all derivatives of the same basic design, but each executed quite differently (keep that in mind, i'm sure that it contributes to the findings). Note that the Mar-Ken12 is the 1st of the trapezoid miniOnken, the other 2 are "standard". Nothing but my "hi-tech" speaker cables between amp & speakers. Bud P's pigtails permantly attached to these cables.

We used Bernie's lovely SE 2A3 and my Myryad CD-Player (from the upper range). In my room, which provides excellent hifi support, but is largish.

Pictures of the 1st & 3rd can be seen here: miniOnken/Fonken Picture Gallery When i take pictures of the Mar-Ken10.2 they will post in that same thread.

A12 up 1st. Excellent sound and balance. Satisfying bass. I could live with these with no quams.
A10.2 next up. More difference here than i expected. I can't say that it was better or worse, just different. I could live with these with no quams.
A7 taking up the final position. For all 3 of this, this one cleaned up (probably not as much difference with the others as some may think that impies). Greater 3D soundstage, more DDR, more resolution, dynamics that didn't dissapoint. Not as deep or as impactful in the bass, but still very satisfying. If i had to, or got to pick, i'd choose these to live with. Fortunately i don't have to pick.

Music selection was more limited than in most sessions as my iMac is currently down a power supply, so we only had CDs that haven't been put in storage (and a selection Bernie brought)

Next i want to do a compare of the Mar-Ken10.2 to our BB build of the Mar-Ken12 so that the differences in the box construction are taken out of the equation and i can get a better handle on the differences there.

And, having just gotten back a pair of self-powered SDX7, to try dMar-Ken7 with bass support. (this worked well with CHR-Ken and now we have sorted a ground loop issue)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!