CHR-70 GENERATION 3 - COMING SOON - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 21st November 2011, 08:00 PM   #361
diyAudio Member

I'm now thinking of picking up a pair of these for surrounds in my setup and want to make a large bookshelf speaker I can mount to some nice stands I already have. These will be crossed over at 80hz so I don't need them to go this low but a bigger cabinet doesn't bother me and I could use them for 2-channel later on if tuned lower. I will be making them with threaded inserts so they can physically bolt to the stands (no way for little ones to knock them over this way) as well as for threaded spikes. I plugged in the data into WinISD and came up with these specs for the box (using 3/4" material):

VOLUME: .509 ft^3 or 14.4L
WIDTH: 8.5"
HEIGHT: 15.5"
DEPTH: 10.47"
PORT: 1"H X 4"W X 7.32"D
TUNING FREQ: 47.63HZ

How does this look given what other people are doing? Is this roughly the right size cabinet? Attached is the plot and data and its all very smooth so I'd think I should be good.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot010.jpg (450.9 KB, 315 views)
Old 21st November 2011, 09:26 PM   #362
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'd tune it a bit higher (or a slightly smaller box. i ended up at no bigger than 10 litre) to avoid the dip you have 50-80 hz.

dave
Old 21st November 2011, 09:34 PM   #363
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I'd tune it a bit higher (or a slightly smaller box. i ended up at no bigger than 10 litre) to avoid the dip you have 50-80 hz.

dave
Hmm, that dip is -.13db at 64.29hz which is pretty small. What tuning frequency did you use on a 10 litre box? If I change to 10L with a 60hz tune this is my response with a 2.25db boost at 75.72hz with a 1x4x6.48" slot port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot011.jpg (636.3 KB, 293 views)
Old 21st November 2011, 09:54 PM   #364
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I like to avoid the 1st derivative of the curve crossing zero more than once. Seems to affect tuneful bass.

With a restricted (hiZ/high aspect ratio) vent, the tuning in your 2nd sim looks better and should work well (the R in the vents will take the hump out). If you are planning on a plumbing pipe port, a little lower tuning to flatten out the hump a bit more.

dave
Old 21st November 2011, 10:05 PM   #365
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I like to avoid the 1st derivative of the curve crossing zero more than once. Seems to affect tuneful bass.

With a restricted (hiZ/high aspect ratio) vent, the tuning in your 2nd sim looks better and should work well (the R in the vents will take the hump out). If you are planning on a plumbing pipe port, a little lower tuning to flatten out the hump a bit more.

dave
Got ya on the tuning. So with the smaller box, how would I restrict the vent? I was planning on doing a slot port similar to what's in a couple of your box designs as well as the one we're working on together.

Scott
Old 21st November 2011, 10:25 PM   #366
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Just the act of creating a high aspect ratio on the vent adds the R. If it is not suffiicent some open cel foam in the vent (can be tuned by the depth of the blockage)

dave
Old 21st November 2011, 11:10 PM   #367
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just the act of creating a high aspect ratio on the vent adds the R. If it is not suffiicent some open cel foam in the vent (can be tuned by the depth of the blockage)

dave
Ok so I'm learning, what do you mean by a high aspect ratio vent? Would the 1x4x6.48 port I have modeled be a high aspect ratio vent?
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:34 AM   #368
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Aspect ratio should be climbing above 6, the original FonkenPrime was about 50:1 and some of the newer ones are even more radical.

dave
Old 22nd November 2011, 04:31 AM   #369
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Aspect ration should be climbing above 6, the original FonkenPrime was about 50:1 and some of the newer ones are even more radical.

dave
How do you find the aspect ratio of the vent? What is the formula? We can take this to another thread to keep this one clear ...

Scott
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:22 AM   #370
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

aspect ratio = width of vent / height of vent with w>h

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!