CHR-70 GENERATION 3 - COMING SOON - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 5th March 2011, 01:29 AM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
I don't agree with the suggestion that increased damping automatically = more clean and open sound.
Actually Joachim's comment (that DJ quoted) is that less damping (higher mechanical q) = more clean and open sound

But as pointed out, you cannot make broad statements based on a single parameter of a complex machine.

dave
Old 5th March 2011, 06:14 AM   #22
djanci is offline djanci  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the advantage of cotton is its light weight and flexibility...I'm sort with you on the un-changed T/S...
Cotton = higher Qms?

Quote:
The CHR-70 appears to sell into 2 areas. First is the fairly traditional DIY build market, second is the newer computery/desk-top'ish and Home Theatre markets. SPL on the one side, power on the other?
...But looking a past threads, especially those focusing on CHR/P and EL-70, the guys do like to drive their speaks...
"Lotus Super 7" or "1000HP SUV"? Wich one is better sport car? You'll have to chose side or make two completely different drivers, but my opinion is that you are more like Colin Chapman of speaker industry so please stick to "traditional DIY build market" and your initial preferences. People who bought Super 7 or MA drivers should know why they do so and what are they capable off. Someone could even use Alpair 12 as subwoofer driver but
Old 5th March 2011, 07:54 AM   #23
sarte is offline sarte  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanci View Post
"Lotus Super 7" or "1000HP SUV"? Wich one is better sport car? You'll have to chose side or make two completely different drivers, but my opinion is that you are more like Colin Chapman of speaker industry so please stick to "traditional DIY build market" and your initial preferences. People who bought Super 7 or MA drivers should know why they do so and what are they capable off. Someone could even use Alpair 12 as subwoofer driver but
Djanci has a valid point. Many FR-designers value SPL. I wouldn't have a gen2 pair, if the SPL would've been 80-83dB. 85 was just about enough for me. If the change in T/S is too dramatic, gen3's won't work that well with old designs -> some one has to design new boxes for DIY-community. The thousand dollar question is, are the gained couple of watts interesting enough for new box designs?

On the other hand, if the main clientele is in closed/BR box DIYers who don't really understand things beyond their simulators frequency curves, then the few extra watts might be a good selling point. Still... most of my ignorant friends have been blown away how must "noise" you get out of 20w drivers. Most of them think that 50 watts is absolute minimum for decent sized rooms. So I dont think few extra watts would make that much difference.

I think that popularity of CHR's is because their nice balance between two worlds. They are sophisticated enough to create interest in very skilled loudspeaker designers. They're also cheap enough to be on regular DIY Joes shopping list. They also make an excellent showcase for all Alpair-drivers (I'm currently designing my first Alpair project and I bet I'm not the only person who has bought CHR's and is thinking like me).
Old 5th March 2011, 08:55 AM   #24
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Mark,
I vote for the idea of another 8 ohm model to tackle the HT/power market, say CHR-HT.
You should not comprimise performance for a few more Watt.
Of course, economic quantity for production is something you have to consider.
Old 5th March 2011, 11:04 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
The amp voltage/current discussion is heading a little far off topic. We need to primarily focus on CHR-70 features that members would like built in to the next batch. I need to final design and order parts very soon.

Agreed, the amp discussion is interesting and has some bearing. I'm happy to make a new thread and migrate the relevant posts.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 5th March 2011, 11:27 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Guys,
The amp voltage/current discussion is heading a little far off topic. We need to primarily focus on CHR-70 features that members would like built in to the next batch. I need to final design and order parts very soon.

Agreed, the amp discussion is interesting and has some bearing. I'm happy to make a new thread and migrate the relevant posts.

Cheers

Mark.
Sorry Mark.
Old 5th March 2011, 11:32 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Sorry Mark.
No worries, I'm glad the ideas and experiences flow well. Its no drama to accommodate the Amp chat on a new thread. Let see how it goes.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 5th March 2011, 02:16 PM   #28
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

Regarding the options on the spider, for this driver specifically I would tend to favor a) ease of construction (to keep costs down) and b) durability.

The CHR-70 is already a brilliant driver. While I'm generally all for progress, this is a workhorse driver and it's in a market segment where costs are really important, not to mention availability.

I actually came online because I was looking to order a pair of CHR-70s for a project, and I noticed they're all sold out everywhere. I hope it's not going to be months before I can get another pair! If the gen 1. was still available, I'd still be happily buying those!
Old 5th March 2011, 05:19 PM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresch View Post
I actually came online because I was looking to order a pair of CHR-70s for a project, and I noticed they're all sold out everywhere. I hope it's not going to be months before I can get another pair! If the gen 1. was still available, I'd still be happily buying those!
eMail me, i still have some. Given the logistics of manufacture & getting then to North America, it is likely 6-8 weeks before stocks will be replenished.

dave
Old 5th March 2011, 06:30 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

My tuppence worth:

-If the Gen.3 could be engineered so as to result in a drive unit that possesses similar T/S specs. to the Gen.2, that would be a bonus IMO. For a start, people could upgrade to it if they wished, and it would ensure consistency with existing enclosures.

-Extra efficiency would be a bonus, but I am strongly opposed to a drop, just to obtain a couple of extra watts of power handling. The CHR is already a relatively low efficiency unit & I don't think it can really afford to loose any. An 8ohm model sounds like it could be a good solution, if you think the market is there. Having said that, I wouldn't go overboard on the efficiency front either as the existing unit clearly has established itself with a solid market niche, & you presumably don't want to depart from that. It seems to me that the CHP would be the logical choice to engineer for higher efficiency -I guess that's one best discussed another time / on another thread though.

Hide this!Advertise here!