CHR-70 GENERATION 3 - COMING SOON - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 16th June 2011, 01:34 AM   #251
Tom V is offline Tom V  United States
diyAudio Member

I have used this calculator in the past with good results: http://www.mh-audio.nl/ReflexBoxCalculator.asp

It calculates the CHR-70.3 optimum box at a half cubic foot box (14 liters) with a 2" x 6" port as being flat to 40Hz!! (F-3 = 39.74 Hz). This would be a dirt simple build with a commercial .5 cu ft enclosure.

I would also be interested in a Pensil optimized for this driver - another simple build.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:43 AM   #252
diyAudio Member

11 liters should be enough to achieve good bass extension. To that end I intend to use a pair of PE .25cf cabinets, stuffed to achieve approx. 11L volume, and tuned to 49hz. Dead simple and about $200 for materials.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:03 AM   #253
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V View Post
I have used this calculator in the past with good results: http://www.mh-audio.nl/ReflexBoxCalculator.asp

It calculates the CHR-70.3 optimum box at a half cubic foot box (14 liters) with a 2" x 6" port as being flat to 40Hz!! (F-3 = 39.74 Hz). This would be a dirt simple build with a commercial .5 cu ft enclosure.

I would also be interested in a Pensil optimized for this driver - another simple build.
Hi Tom,
Yup, possibly a tad on the large side, but for anyone happy to keep vols down or has a lower power amp, could be a Veerrrrrrrrrry interesting project. I'd love to see some DIYers do these larger boxes and feedback. Me and Matsuabara san would like to hear your findings on the new suspensions and coils. We're both "tweakers" (tweakaholics more like) so its great to work with you guys.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:10 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
11 liters should be enough to achieve good bass extension. To that end I intend to use a pair of PE .25cf cabinets, stuffed to achieve approx. 11L volume, and tuned to 49hz. Dead simple and about $200 for materials.
Hi Chaz,
Yup, I also figured around the 10 to 11 litre BR/Vented. Good starting point for these drivers.

Anyone can come with a a tall TL, Voight tube TQWT plan etc?

Cheers

Mark.
Old 16th June 2011, 02:30 AM   #255
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Here's an old plan that now likely needs modification. But I like it for its simplicity and easy of build while quite a striking appearance in the living room that the wife/partner may live with if nicely built.

I'd really like someone to take a crack at this with the new Alp7. Its detachable rear cover means it should now fit more easily into this shallow design.

Hi Dave and Scott and other box guys, any thoughts and could you suggest update? - Thanks

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plan-chr70-pensil-1.jpg (111.8 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg plan-chr70-pensil-2.jpg (74.9 KB, 382 views)
Old 16th June 2011, 07:32 PM   #256
diyAudio Member

Hello Guys

Can you help me out with a couple of TLA's ??

BSC - With regard to work arounds ??
PE - With regard to cabinets ??
Winzip - A speaker design program ??

Thanks
Miles

TLA = Three letter Acronyms
Old 16th June 2011, 07:35 PM   #257
diyAudio Member

bsc baffel step correction
pe partsexpress
Old 17th June 2011, 07:10 AM   #258
diyAudio Member

Mark, been following the Alpair 7 gen 3 thread. Just ran across this.

My impression is that the improvement on this CHR-70 gen 3 is greater than the improvement on the Alpair 7 gen 3? Would that bring these two drivers closer to each other? Or what is the strength/weaknesses compared to each other?

Hope its OK to ask on this thread.

Thanks,
UL
Old 17th June 2011, 07:21 AM   #259
tresch is offline tresch  United States
diyAudio Member

Winzip = a file packaging and compressing program. Named after the popular .zip format (but it does others)

Though, nowadays if I'm recommending a compression program, it's 7zip aaaall the way. It's free, super lightweight, slim and streamlined, has fantastic windows interface integration, does pretty much every format you'll ever need (including multi-part rar) and has no ads, nags... it's basically perfect.

anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:06 AM   #260
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Mark, been following the Alpair 7 gen 3 thread. Just ran across this.
My impression is that the improvement on this CHR-70 gen 3 is greater than the improvement on the Alpair 7 gen 3? Would that bring these two drivers closer to each other? Or what is the strength/weaknesses compared to each other?
Hope its OK to ask on this thread.
Thanks,
UL
Hi Ult,
The Alp7 Gen. 3 is the best we've done. Its the most stable, near flat and ultra wide range of my 70-mm single cone designs.

While the CHR-70 Gen. 3 is very good, its peak at around 14-kHz and 25-kHz limit keeps it in second place within the Markaudio driver 70-mm cone size family. The new CHR's should retail around 80 -85 USD (PER PAIR) in North America. My feeling is these CHR's offer great performance and value for money at this lower price point.

Without doubt, the new Alpair 7 takes the winner's podium with ease. I've seen no other similar sized single cone driver that can do what the new Alp7 does @ 70Hz to 30-kHz near flat. That's the technical way to look at the Alp7 Gen. 3. Cost wise, I think they'll retail at around 160 to 170 USD per pair in North so they firmly belong in the "audiophile" category. They'll need very good source, amplification and cabling. Nice well designed and made boxes are recommended for these Alps. Basically, they're pretty much in a class of their own. Evan at the higher price, I feel Alpair 7 Gen. 3's represent great performance value for money.

Cheers
Mark.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 17th June 2011 at 10:22 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!