CHR-70 GENERATION 3 - COMING SOON - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th April 2011, 08:40 AM   #151
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your new driver. It was very interesting reading through this thread. I don't know very many (actually none come to mind) manufacturers out there that really listen to what the end consumers want. Obviously, you cannot please everyone, but by offering a great variety of products or new "generations" there is probably something for everyone. Perhaps, in the future you can offer a Markaudio Reference line that incorporates all that you know and what you want in a "full range driver."

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post

I'm spending time with this driver because I'm also working on the new Gen. 3 Alpair 7, and the new CHP-70 Gen. 2 and a CHP-BW (Bass wide version) (yes I've been a busy boy). I'll say more about this drivers very soon. But for now I can say these new drivers are turning out better than I hoped.

Naturally its over to you guys to decide the application and use of these drivers; and the direction of future Markaudio designs. For now, I've got the feeling you'll love to play these new babies.

"Still listening to Judy!"

Cheers for now

Mark.
I had mentioned in a previous thread a bias against drivers with a rising treble response, and any peak in the 7kHz/8kHz sibilance region. Also, I'm not a big fan of metal coned drivers especially when they break up high. So, I'm particularly interested in the CHP-70 Gen 2 and the CHP-BW paper coned drivers. Will the CHP-70 be available in the US? And what is the CHP-BW? Please start new threads on these drivers. Thanks.

Last edited by ultrakaz; 26th April 2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 26th April 2011, 09:43 AM   #152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresch View Post
The CHP-BW is really intriguing. Plan on making a thread about those soon? I'm curious what your brain is cooking up. (I'm hoping for something with stronger bass, less high frequency, and hopefully a bit cheaper, for use with little line arrays)
From a purely aesthetic standpoint at least, I would totally love to build some floor standing MMTMM style speakers, entirely with CH*-70 drivers (4 chp-BW and 1 shiny CHR-70 gen3 in the middle) Or MMMMT. Or just MMMT even. Or whatever. DRIVERS EVERYWHERE
The CHP-BW (bass wide) should be interesting. Coils prototypes just finished. The driver will use the CHR-70 frame. Cones, suspensions and coils are a bit higher mass, less top end. More on this driver later.

Please help by contacting Brian or Adam at Madisound. Let them now your interest in this and CHP drivers. Their order is small to start (only 24 pairs) so pick up the phone soon.

We hope to complete production by early June so should get to the USA end June - July.

Thanks

Mark.
Old 26th April 2011, 09:52 AM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrakaz View Post
Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your new driver. It was very interesting reading through this thread. I don't know very many (actually none come to mind) manufacturers out there that really listen to what the end consumers want. Obviously, you cannot please everyone, but by offering a great variety of products or new "generations" there is probably something for everyone. Perhaps, in the future you can offer a Markaudio Reference line that incorporates all that you know and what you want in a "full range driver."

I had mentioned in a previous thread a bias against drivers with a rising treble response, and any peak in the 7kHz/8kHz sibilance region. Also, I'm not a big fan of metal coned drivers especially when they break up high. So, I'm particularly interested in the CHP-70 Gen 2 and the CHP-BW paper coned drivers. Will the CHP-70 be available in the US? And what is the CHP-BW? Please start new threads on these drivers. Thanks.
Thanks Ult for your encouragement, all welcome right now as business is more a challenge having lost business in Japan due to the earthquake.

Yes, Alps are heading in the direction of "reference" but without "reference" prices all being well. Taniguchi san and me are thinking of offering Matched reference test drivers, each with its individual LMS printout. Takes time, as I'd like matching to be really uber close. Can't put a price on these drivers yet but we hope to offer competitive rates.

Re CHP, CHP-BW, these could be the drivers for you. Should be a bit more traditional "semi vintage" sound. The BW is a "bass-wide" version, very much aimed to serve you and guys with similar preferences. Should roll of around 14 to 15-kHz, offer a bit ore bass, very much a smoothy driver.

Talk to Brian and Adam at Madisound. They're only taking 24 pairs of each type so its first to call, get the drivers. Yes, starting new thread in next 14 days or so. Loads of work ahead of me.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 26th April 2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: additional
Old 26th April 2011, 11:26 AM   #154
diyAudio Member

Mark,

Great news, and good luck with the new drivers.

Where does the CSS EL70 fit into your forward plans? Will it eventually benefit from your tech advances, or is it now a bit of an orphan?

Regards,
Keith Arnold
blakkshepeaudio
Old 26th April 2011, 11:45 AM   #155
diyAudio Member

Presumably the EL70 itself doesn't, at least from the POV that it is / was an OEM driver commissioned by CSS, and not part of Mark's range.

The CHR Gen.3 appears to be a useful step forward from the old Gen.2 model; the greater HF extension is nice to have as it's likely going to shunt distortion higher up, further outside our critical hearing BW. Overall response trend is pretty flat & electrical damping is improved over the old unit too. The the data provided suggests that the new cone also remains pistonic over a wider BW -Mark will probably confirm one way or the other. Either way, looks to be another solid driver. Nice work Mark.
Old 26th April 2011, 11:55 AM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkshepeaudio View Post
Mark,
Great news, and good luck with the new drivers.
Where does the CSS EL70 fit into your forward plans? Will it eventually benefit from your tech advances, or is it now a bit of an orphan?
Regards,
Keith Arnold
blakkshepeaudio
Hi Blakk,
I built the EL-70 for Bob Reimer (CSS Canada). I think he's not likely to re-order more EL's once he's sold out. I'm in the process of producing a black (paper) coned CHP driver but characteristic's will be a little different.
Cheers
Mark.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:14 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, that's kind of what I figured.
I guess I will design for the EL70 and just rejig for the new CHP70 when it turns up.
I was just wondering if the EL70 had a future or not.

Rgds
blakkshepeaudio
Old 26th April 2011, 02:42 PM   #158
BGordon is offline BGordon  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm a bit in the same boat. The new drivers sound really promising and I applaud the work your doing as well as the design process.

I'm about to embark on my first speaker build and am leaning toward the EL70. Would it be worthwhile to build a cabinet for the EL70 and later drop in a CHP-70 (or CHP-70BW)? Or do those drivers dictate different cabinet designs?

-Blake
Old 26th April 2011, 05:29 PM   #159
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I look at the CHP-70 next gen as a merging of the CHP70 & the EL70 back into a single driver with some of the new CHR thrown in for good measure,

As to box design changes, it seems that Mark's penchant for continual improvement has us finding that the new drivers will work OK in the old boxes, but a bit more can be squeezed out with revisions.

That there has been CHR/CHP/EL70 & Alpair7 all filling the 4" niche, we do have some cabinets going forward that should work mostly unchanged... Frugel-Horn3, Maeshowe... and some that will benefit from a tweak of the venting.

The CHP-bass is interesting... my 1st thot was a CHP-B/Alpair6P MTM. If the CHP-B inherits the bottom of the EL70 & then gains because it can, it will be a very interesting mid-bass driver

dave
Old 26th April 2011, 07:36 PM   #160
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Dave - do you plan on offering the new CHP-70 EnABLed?
Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!