alpair 10/12 for rock/bass heavy music? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2011, 08:39 AM   #1
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Default alpair 10/12 for rock/bass heavy music?

Hi all. I have been thinking to build a pair of pencils with the alpair 10/12.

But seeing over the forum, a lot of people talk about the alpairs not being the most adecuated for rock/bass heavy music... i don't listen nothing too heavy, and also not so loud, but i don't want to be worry of break the drivers any time i listen to the allman brothers or if i should raise the volume control or not when i'm listening a nice upright bass solo...even i'm not sure if the bass would be nice enough at normal listening levels.

Can someone give some advice about this? Max. volume levels, bass extension, etc? Would it be very appreciated . Thanks!

Last edited by fxs; 27th February 2011 at 08:41 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 09:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
markaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxs View Post
Hi all. I have been thinking to build a pair of pencils with the alpair 10/12.
But seeing over the forum, a lot of people talk about the alpairs not being the most adecuated for rock/bass heavy music... i don't listen nothing too heavy, and also not so loud, but i don't want to be worry of break the drivers any time i listen to the allman brothers or if i should raise the volume control or not when i'm listening a nice upright bass solo...even i'm not sure if the bass would be nice enough at normal listening levels.
Can someone give some advice about this? Max. volume levels, bass extension, etc? Would it be very appreciated . Thanks!
Hi Fxs,
Given what you've written, there's no problem with Alps playing rock/heavy music within sensible application. This applies to pretty much all full-range drivers. Indeed, when compared to high-efficiency full-rangers with short Xmas's, Alps are very bass capable.

Historically, the challenge has come about from those DIYers with less experience who read a large X max in the specs and assume the driver can be driven hard. This assumption was not correct.

As a general guide here's what you need to do:
1 - Size up your listening room and choose an Alp model to suite, e.g 4 metres X 6 metres could be Alp7's if you're not playing so loud or Alp10's and 12's if you want the system to handle more output.

2- Select a descent complimentary box design, e.g. Pencil series boxes work well in larger spaces while smaller vented boxes are usually more practical for lesser sized rooms.

2 - Match up your amp output. For example, class A/B up to X2 the rating of the driver, e.g Alp10 is rated at 35 watts so amp outputs of 70 watts is fine. You could go more but exercise caution with the volume control.

Its simply a question of being practical. Once you've got the system set up, run the drivers in carefully and load them sensibly.Alps are capable of playing loud if the box design and set up is well sorted.

Remember, you need your ear-drums for a lifetime. Never fails to amaze just how many DIYers are risking longterm damage to their hearing.

Cheers

Mark.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 10:21 AM   #3
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Thanks for your response Mark . Given your answers, i would like to ask:

- My room is about 5X5 meters, but not so much space for the pencils (with alpair 10/12). The pencils need to much space to breathe correctly? Of course, i can make space for the pencils , my question really is if the pencils are more appropiate for larger rooms.

- My amp is a harman receiver rated at 40w/channel. The harman receivers are supposed to be realistic about the power ratings (and so, are more loud than known receivers rated at 100 w eg). If you know something about this, i'm ok with that 40w/channel?

- About your comment on the ear care , that means the alps 10/12 can play to ear harm levels without breaking? If so, that answers my question about the power output .

- In another issue, i would like to ask you about the off-axis response of the alps on the pencils. It's supposed to be the radiattion pattern relatively constant up to some khz? I have read about how big and real it's the soundstage if the off-axis response is similar to the axis response (at least to some khz).


Thanks!

Last edited by fxs; 27th February 2011 at 10:25 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
markaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxs View Post
Thanks for your response Mark . Given your answers, i would like to ask:
-My room is about 5X5 meters, but not so much space for the pencils (with alpair 10/12). The pencils need to much space to breathe correctly? Of course, i can make space for the pencils , my question really is if the pencils are more appropiate for larger rooms.

- My amp is a harman receiver rated at 40w/channel. The harman receivers are supposed to be realistic about the power ratings (and so, are more loud than known receivers rated at 100 w eg). If you know something about this, i'm ok with that 40w/channel?

- About your comment on the ear care , that means the alps 10/12 can play to ear harm levels without breaking? If so, that answers my question about the power output .

- In another issue, i would like to ask you about the off-axis response of the alps on the pencils. It's supposed to be the radiattion pattern relatively constant up to some khz? I have read about how big and real it's the soundstage if the off-axis response is similar to the axis response (at least to some khz).
Thanks!
Hi Fxs,
Id be tempted to look at Alp10 in Pencil 10.2's. 5X5m is a good size room so should be a nice match. Alp7 in Pencil 7 could also be a nice alternative if you need to look after free space in the room.

The Harmon receiver for either Alp10.2 or Alp7 is OK, although "receivers" tend to be a compromise build. If you have the opportunity to upgrade, it would be worth considering a change.

Yes, Alps (most any driver) can damage hearing given enough exposure to high volumes.

Your axis question, the emittance output is directional hence on/off-axis responses are considered representative of this feature. Bear in mind that room influences will also likely affect the outcome.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 27th February 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo fix
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 03:59 AM   #5
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Thanks again for your answers Mark. I think i will be building the pencils 10.2 . I would ask again:

- Given what you said, then itīs possible to have about 80-90db at 3 meters aprox., playing heavy bass content, without risk of break the drivers? I probably wouldnīt listen to such high levels, but i want to have the capability to play loud ocasionally .

- About the stuffing material...the idea is to glue it to the inside walls? because the material would tend to block the open port. And this stuffing, should be uniform, more concentrated in some area,etc?

- There is a difference between the gold and grey 10.2 drivers?

Thanks again!

Last edited by fxs; 28th February 2011 at 04:05 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 06:03 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxs View Post
- About the stuffing material...the idea is to glue it to the inside walls? because the material would tend to block the open port. And this stuffing, should be uniform, more concentrated in some area,etc?
The material should be evenly fluffed, and should fill the volume above the port (more for looks than for functon

Quote:
There is a difference between the gold and grey 10.2 drivers?
Except for the colour, no difference.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 06:50 AM   #7
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The material should be evenly fluffed, and should fill the volume above the port (more for looks than for functon

dave
thanks for the answer. what i really wanted to say is, if you donīt glue the material to the walls, the material should tend to fall and then blocinkg the port. Or the idea is have the material tighty packed between the inside walls?
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 07:09 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
If you use the recommended polyfluff (dacron/wool/acostistuff/polester wool/pillow stuffing) even at less than the recommended quantity it should friction fit. If you are worried some sort of support doesn;t hurt (staves like Tony, uses, some netting, dowels across). In ours the holey braces acted as support. Glue won't do much as very little of the damping will be in contact with the glue, and if the glue gets into the fibre any significant distance will reduce its effectiveness.

If well fluffed, even if the wool falls to the bottom it will not block the port.

(Note: the above does not work with real wool which will fall into a clump & fall if not supported)

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 08:46 AM   #9
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
planet10, i read this post: Alpair 10 Gen. 2 introduction.

now a few weeks later, how are playing this alps10.2? are the 3d soundstage similar to the alpair 7's? how is the detail? really i don't have listen any of them, but i have seen the 7's compared to the quads. for me, it's very important to have a realistic 3d soundstage (like if speakers disappear), and of course nice detail.

Thanks in advance
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 08:57 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
The 3d soundstage is similar to the stock A7, there but a bit shallow. The A7eN does it quite a bit better, blowing out the wall behind the speakers with good material.

Most of my A10.2 are still on the break in bench and i haven't tarted any up yet (i'm juggling well over a 100 drivers at the moment)

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpair 12 vs Alpair 10.2 and a little Fostex 166 germpod Full Range 4 28th January 2011 03:19 PM
Alpair 10 more forgiving than Alpair 7 & 12 tripathdude Full Range 3 6th November 2010 06:14 AM
Alpair 10 vs Alpair 12 buzzforb Planet 10 hifi 0 30th October 2010 06:56 PM
Alpair 10 Bass + Alpair 5 - Woodwill Japan markaudio Markaudio 16 26th January 2010 11:48 AM
Alpair 10 wide bass driver and Alpair 10 Fullrange _henry_ Full Range 71 15th March 2009 11:37 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:14 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Đ1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2