diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Markaudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/)
-   -   Alpair 12 break-in question: 2mm? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/182952-alpair-12-break-question-2mm.html)

Urchinn 11th February 2011 01:07 PM

Alpair 12 break-in question: 2mm?

Okay, tomorrow we build the Solstice cabinets and install the Alpair 12s. My next dumb question (hey, I gotta learn somehow!) concerns the break-in period. Mark suggests 2mm for 20 hours, and 4mm for 200 hours. Okay, I have no idea what that means! Is 2mm the volume of a normal conversation at a dinner table? Is 4mm the volume of your TV? Any help would be wonderful, because I really want these Solstice to shine!

StevenZ 11th February 2011 01:12 PM

I think he's measuring the excursion of the driver itself.

Urchinn 11th February 2011 06:00 PM

Ok...tell me about the "excursion of the driver." Please?

planet10 11th February 2011 06:40 PM

Look at the cone as it is moving. Level one is when the cone moves 2 mm, turn it up a bit it moves 4mm. This is actually a fair amount. I usually get at least a week on them at lower levels before i do anything.

dave

StevenZ 11th February 2011 07:25 PM

I'd suggest getting a metric measuring tape and eyeballing it from the side until you think you've reached the recommended excursion per break-in level. Keep in mind 2mm is barely above 1/16" and 4mm is right around 3/16".

markaudio 11th February 2011 11:09 PM

Hi Guys,
The measuring idea is good an then eyeballing is likely the most effective.

Remember, were talking about the MAX length of movement under a "shock load" like the sudden thump-role of a drum, big clash of symbols etc. etc. Under these loads, the travel of the powertrain (cone,coil and suspensions) must not exceed those distances I've already given. That means for the vast majority of the run in period and general play, the powertrain hardly moves.

In a well designed driver/cab combination, pleasing bass can be generated without the need to use lots of large driver excursion.

I'll look at the running in section, see if I can further elaborate.

Thanks

Mark.

Henkjan 11th February 2011 11:21 PM

Mark, does this running in procedure also apply to the other gen.2 drivers?

ra7 11th February 2011 11:21 PM

Mark,

Probably a better way to specify breakin would be to say:
Pink noise - 70db@1meter for 100 hours, 80db@1meter next 100 hours and so on. This is much easier to approximate than eyeballing excursion.

Once you've got your amp calibrated to these levels, you can play music instead of pink noise.

markaudio 11th February 2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urchinn (Post 2464962)
Okay, tomorrow we build the Solstice cabinets and install the Alpair 12s. My next dumb question (hey, I gotta learn somehow!) concerns the break-in period. Mark suggests 2mm for 20 hours, and 4mm for 200 hours. Okay, I have no idea what that means! Is 2mm the volume of a normal conversation at a dinner table? Is 4mm the volume of your TV? Any help would be wonderful, because I really want these Solstice to shine!

Hi Urchin,
To help you:

1 - First 100 hours, use low volumes like hotel lobby background music levels. You can easily hold a conversation without raising you voice. Don't use any music with a heavy beat. Sweet vocal, gentle Jazz, any music that's easy listening will suffice.

2 - 100 to around 300 hours, gradually introduce some music with beat/bass and carefully increase the volume to "entertainment" levels. You can still hold a conversation by slightly raising your voice. Don't go nuts, give this process time. Remember, most (if not all) full range drivers aren't big "rock un rollers".

I talk about Xmax (mm) distances for those DIYer's who've got allot of experience in driver handling and maintenance so my apologies for the lack of presentation for beginners.

Cheers

Mark.

markaudio 12th February 2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkjan (Post 2465573)
Mark, does this running in procedure also apply to the other gen.2 drivers?

Hi Henkjan,
Yes it does. In fact, I'd recommend this type of run-in for most any low mass full-ranger.
Thanks
Mark.