Alpair 12 break-in question: 2mm? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 21st June 2013, 12:59 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

I used a FM radio station to break in my speakers. Before broadcast the subsonic frequencies are removed and any extreme spikes are compressed down. This leaves a signal that is predictable and has no danger of overdriving the speakers. It may not be the best sound for listening, but it is perfect for breaking in speakers.
Old 16th July 2013, 04:59 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mark can comment on this, but if I understand the break-in restrictions correctly, you have to get at least some excursion or no break-in is occurring. A mm or so excursion is permissible for "low power" break-in. The thing is, 1mm of excursion on the A10's and A12's is going to give you 70-80dB at 2.5m. And that's my normal listening level! So, my break-in procedure is to turn them up to a comfortable level and let them rip.

Bob
70-80db at 2.5m is loud by my reckoning, that's not "low level" to the average listener is it?
Old 16th July 2013, 06:41 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorienblack View Post
70-80db at 2.5m is loud by my reckoning, that's not "low level" to the average listener is it?
It depends on who you talk to. I lurk on another board that just surveyed the normal SPL. 80-90dB is the norm. Generally a younger crowd, though. I am breaking in a pair of A10P's as I type this. Average SPL ~70dB, peaks to 80. Some Handel concertos. I do not consider this loud by any streach. I have to put a finger on the surround to detect movement of the driver. I figure that if the diaphragm is not moving noticeably, the sound is not loud.

Bob
Old 16th July 2013, 07:03 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bob, your obviously a rocker by my standards

I would love to hear your listening impressions on the 10p as they come into their own, I was considering them as well as the 12p. As my music taste is eclectic I was led by Marks testimony that the 10.3m was the "most rounded performer".

This is my first foray into the FR and I suspect I'm another convert. My birch ply arrives tomorrow so the fun begins.
Old 16th July 2013, 07:31 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

My A10P's have 20-30hr on them now. I can say this: Driven by a cheap Sony 2-ch receiver I use in the shop, the 10P's are sounding quite nice. Highs are better than the A10.2. Can't tell about the bottom yet as they are in a pair on mis-tuned BR's and I haven't gone to my r e a l l y deep stuff. Made the mistake of running some country music (you do listen to country, don't you?) off of the FM receiver. Be aware that the 10P's will not tolerate modern super-compressed music. It is awful.

Bob
Old 16th July 2013, 07:50 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

You bet your Alison Krauss I listen to country music! That which your sneer at in your twenties you revere in your forties, who would have thunk? In fact I would have laughed myself into an early grave if you had told me twenty five years ago, that I would come to consider Dylan as the most gifted songsmith of the age.

Mark did mention the 10p's were unforgiving, some of my music requires forgiveness

Well excuse me, pipe and slippers are calling me back to my rocking chair.

Happy listening
Old 16th July 2013, 09:29 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was considering them as well as the 12p. As my music taste is eclectic I was led by Marks testimony that the 10.3m was the "most rounded performer".
I listen to all types of music (no country ) thru my 12p Super Pencils. I would expect the 10.3's to have a more extended treble, which may be beneficial for certain genres of music, or tastes.

jeff
Old 16th July 2013, 09:39 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

You know - it was the 12p super pensil that was the hardest dream to let go of when I chose the 10.3m.

I think that's the next build when time and money allows.
Old 16th July 2013, 09:44 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You know - it was the 12p super pensil that was the hardest dream to let go of when I chose the 10.3m.
You're putting the 10.3's in a Pencil?

jeff
Old 16th July 2013, 09:56 PM   #60
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
You're putting the 10.3's in a Pencil?

jeff

he won't be the only one

and Jeffy, "I listen to all types of music but country" is contradictory

Last edited by chrisb; 16th July 2013 at 09:58 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!