Pensil Pics, lets show 'em! - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 14th May 2014, 05:39 PM   #291
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ed- very tasty combo

how exactly did you attach the removable tops?

does " a few pieces of felt" refer to a friction fit around the perimeter of metal grilles?
Old 14th May 2014, 09:59 PM   #292
diyAudio Member

Top Mounting,
There are 2 pins under the front of the top going into blind holes in the front baffle and 2 screws through the back panel which solidly secures the top. I can take some pictures later.
Grille,
The grille comes as 2 peices, a mounting ring and the grille. I did not use the mounting ring. The outer grille piece is a loose fit on the speaker. I added 2 one inch wide pieces of thin self-stick felt to the inside of the metal grille to make it slide snugly over the speaker frame. The Mark Audio outer trim is also not used.
Old 14th May 2014, 10:46 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKennedy View Post
Top Mounting,
There are 2 pins under the front of the top going into blind holes in the front baffle and 2 screws through the back panel which solidly secures the top. I can take some pictures later.
gasketed, I presume?

Quote:
Grille,
The grille comes as 2 peices, a mounting ring and the grille. I did not use the mounting ring. The outer grille piece is a loose fit on the speaker. I added 2 one inch wide pieces of thin self-stick felt to the inside of the metal grille to make it slide snugly over the speaker frame. The Mark Audio outer trim is also not used.
that makes sense
Old 15th May 2014, 07:30 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

Default Removable Top

Here's a couple of pictures of my removable Pensil top.

On previous speakers, I had decorative screws going down through the top, or in from the sides, but here I wanted to have as few visible screws as possible while having a secure fit.
With the top off, you see the holes in the front baffle where the pins go. You also see the top of my bracing. Since the removable top doesn't tie the front to the sides or back, bracing above the speaker ( and all the way down, of course) is needed.
The underside of the top shows the solid wood block with the front pins, a second block for the screws from the back, and plywood filling out the space and making it a very tight fit. The pin block is not glued to the top which allows me to adjust the tightness with tape shims between the block and the cabinet top.
This left me with only 2 unobtrusive screws in the back, which was important since the back is also completely finished and clearly visible from my hallway.
The last picture is simply to show off the the top's construction. Those joints were a bit of a challenge to build, but it came out nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-05-15 001.jpg (752.8 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-15 002.jpg (457.9 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-15 003.jpg (494.6 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-15.jpg (448.8 KB, 420 views)
Old 15th May 2014, 07:41 PM   #295
diyAudio Member

nicely done, Ed - particularly the grain alignment.

Doncha just love it when the veneer patterns work out that way? - sometimes you feel like crazy figuring, other times the quiet look is far more subtle and relaxing
Old 15th May 2014, 08:05 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

Chris,
There was some very careful layout to get the bookmatch centered on each panel.
The burl veneer on the fronts are successive flitches and are reversed on the other speaker for a symmetrical look.
It was worth the work since if I simply cut the pieces from the plywood, the off center bookmatch joints would stand out horribly and drive me crazy.
Next project, a matching stand for the components and TV to replace the ugly black MDF stand.
Another project, a tube amp to replace the HT receiver.
But first, I plan to sit back, listen, and enjoy.
Old 30th May 2014, 12:24 PM   #297
StoilDC is offline StoilDC  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Hello may be this is not a correct place, but I would like to show my new acquisition, BVR with Alpair 10P. Until recently I had Onken with Alpair 10.2 which I crafted by myself, but after I bought 10P decided that I wanted a little more representative vision. So I ordered the design and construction of one of the best craftsmen in Bulgaria, Rumen Suvandjiev. The result is outstanding, balanced, natural sound with fast, tight bass extending pretty low. The simulations shows 42Hz/-5dB but actually in my living room I can hear normally 40hz. Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to do measurements, but from what I hear already love them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140525_005910.jpg (201.1 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg 20140525_005855.jpg (199.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 20140525_005935.jpg (207.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20140524_170411.jpg (80.9 KB, 184 views)
Old 3rd June 2014, 07:12 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoilDC View Post
Hello may be this is not a correct place, but I would like to show my new acquisition, BVR with Alpair 10P. Until recently I had Onken with Alpair 10.2 which I crafted by myself, but after I bought 10P decided that I wanted a little more representative vision. So I ordered the design and construction of one of the best craftsmen in Bulgaria, Rumen Suvandjiev. The result is outstanding, balanced, natural sound with fast, tight bass extending pretty low. The simulations shows 42Hz/-5dB but actually in my living room I can hear normally 40hz. Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to do measurements, but from what I hear already love them.
браво
Old 3rd June 2014, 10:57 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Absolutely beautiful - did you design the enclosure yourself or was that part of the service?
Old 4th June 2014, 06:06 AM   #300
StoilDC is offline StoilDC  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Not so easy to design BVR, I could not handle it.
It was Rumen's idea, he simulates several different enclosures and finaly he recommend as optimal BVR and the result is truly outstanding. I listen them with a tube amp with 300B and sound that flows is a real pleasure.
I want to thank Mark for a great speaker, and 10.2 was good but 10P is just on another level.

Hide this!Advertise here!