Pensil Pics, lets show 'em! - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 18th August 2011, 04:03 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Just moved into a townhouse after being relocated for work and got the setup mostly done. Still need to build a center channel when the design is done for an A12 or A10.2. I spread the speakers another 2" wider and 1" out on each side and its made a big difference and is throwing a better phantom center. Yes I know the drivers aren't even; the cabinet on the left is correct the one on the right is too high. Stupid person constructing them measured wrong OOPS!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 18th August 2011, 04:21 AM   #122
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes I know the drivers aren't even; the cabinet on the left is correct the one on the right is too high. Stupid person constructing them measured wrong OOPS!
that'll disappear once the grilles are on

is the the final location? that would be helpful to know when it comes time to design the center channel enclosure
Old 18th August 2011, 04:27 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
that'll disappear once the grilles are on

is the the final location? that would be helpful to know when it comes time to design the center channel enclosure
I'm going to rout out the wrong front panel and build a new one and glue it in. Shouldn't be TOO tough I hope! LOL!

You mean is the TV in the final location? No. I'm actually going to build a mount that brings the TV to the front and tilts it down a little. I'm hoping to make the center shallow enough to be able to mount below the TV. Could look kinda cool I think.

Scott
Old 22nd August 2011, 07:59 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Well, a week later, they are finished (almost). I still have to secure the bases and install carpet spikes...but I wasn't going to let that stop me from listening to them last night.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Cabinets were built from 3/4" birch ply from Home Depot. Mitred joints were used to save on veneer. The only face that has veneer is the front, which is birch from Parts Express. 2 coats of Danish oil dark walnut stain. 2 coats of wipe-on poly. One coat of finishing wax and buffed to a semi-glossy finish.

I still don't have the polyfill right. They've got a tad too much bass on certain songs (not necessarily a bad thing) which is usually OK, but sometimes can be distracting. I'm also experimenting with room placement. They will be in the corners, but how far in, and how much toe I use is to be determined.

Last edited by chuyler1; 22nd August 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:02 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

WOW! Those are absolutely stunning! Top notch work, very nice!!
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:51 PM   #126
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

chuyler - play with getting them as far out from the corners boundaries as much as can - with the driver's BSC compensation and the excellent performance of Scott's design, these will likely need far less "help" than you're used to.

I'd be vewy vewy careful with spikes on the carpet - after damaging both deep pile carpet (mine) and edge-grain solid fir floor ( Dave's) I've long since eschewed spikes altogether in favour of granite slabs on carpets and felt slider pads on vinyl/laminate and hardwood floors.

nice work, and now just enjoy the damned things
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:54 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Anyone using there Pensil / Alpair 7 with an F5? I'm thinking of building a pair.
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:10 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

F5 should have no problem. I am using AJ on 10.2 with plenty of power to spare.
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:17 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Well, a week later, they are finished (almost). I still have to secure the bases and install carpet spikes...but I wasn't going to let that stop me from listening to them last night.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Cabinets were built from 3/4" birch ply from Home Depot. Mitred joints were used to save on veneer. The only face that has veneer is the front, which is birch from Parts Express. 2 coats of Danish oil dark walnut stain. 2 coats of wipe-on poly. One coat of finishing wax and buffed to a semi-glossy finish.

I still don't have the polyfill right. They've got a tad too much bass on certain songs (not necessarily a bad thing) which is usually OK, but sometimes can be distracting. I'm also experimenting with room placement. They will be in the corners, but how far in, and how much toe I use is to be determined.
Wow, those are nice. I am considering the pencils and thanks for the tip on the mitered joints as I am looking at the same ply you made yours out of and was thinking I was going to have to clue on a solid wood trim edge. What type of joint or means of securing them did you use? Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 09:18 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
chuyler - play with getting them as far out from the corners boundaries as much as can - with the driver's BSC compensation and the excellent performance of Scott's design, these will likely need far less "help" than you're used to.
I've noticed. They sounded best in the middle of the room...but sadly, they've got to be pushed back a little for the WAF.

Quote:
I'd be vewy vewy careful with spikes on the carpet - after damaging both deep pile carpet (mine) and edge-grain solid fir floor ( Dave's) I've long since eschewed spikes altogether in favour of granite slabs on carpets and felt slider pads on vinyl/laminate and hardwood floors.
Well the last set of speakers only moved when it was time to vacuum, and even then I usually just vacuumed around them. So once I get the right spot, they'll stay. The carpet came with the house and will be replaced eventually (we're just letting the pets destroy it first).

Hide this!Advertise here!