CHP70 in Twin Audio Cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th January 2011, 02:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default CHP70 in Twin Audio Cabinet

Hi all,

I had the pleasure of listening to both Feastrex and Yamamoto Sound Craft’s amps and speakers recently in Japan and was bitten by the full range bug.

I investigated speakers and realized the best solution for me for my budget was to build a full range unit.

I settled on the Mark Audio chp-70 drivers and ordered a Till70 cabinet off Tony from Twin Audio.

The cabinet arrived and I was blown away by its quality, it really is beautifully built. Ditto with the chp-70 drivers.

Installing the poly fill to around 50mm and then putting in drivers resulted in a muddy and unpleasant sound. (to my ears, in my room yadda yadda…)

We (my wife and I) stripped the fill back 25mm and replaced the drivers.

Aahhh, much better as we settled back to listen during the break in period.

I had also been wanting to upgrade my amp (a Kingrex T20) and was getting interested in tube amps after my Japan visit. (their preference amplification of the shops I visited were clearly with tube designs.)

So, after doing some more research and discovering Earle Weston at Western Acoustics, a loaner amp called the Topaz was dispatched and a few days later graced my fledging system.

The sound was night and day compared to the Kingrex T20 I had been using with my Rega Apollo CDP.

While I’m aware the drivers are still breaking in, the music now flows, as opposed to sound being merely reproduced.

While I am just beginning my journey in DIY, I did want to say thanks:

Thank you to the DIY community for your willingness to share knowledge gained through often hard won experience.

Thank you to Mark Fenlon and his team for such excellent drivers! (as well as being so approachable to the community)

And thanks to Tony from Twin Audio for delivering such beautiful, well made cabinets at such a reasonable price!

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers.jpg (66.7 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Speaker.jpg (62.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Loaner Amp.jpg (82.4 KB, 263 views)
Old 26th January 2011, 02:58 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hide this!Advertise here!