Pensil 10.2 or 12 wrt bass extention? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 28th January 2011, 08:01 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

I will probably build standard cabinets and then try a glass one to see how it comes out. If you set the bottom of the glass in a slotted wood base with recessed LED's, the light will travel up the center of the glass refracting/reflecting(not sure which) off the texture and light the whole thing up. Could be tacky, could be cool! What do you think Dave, 3.8" or 1/2". Wonder if Scottmoose has an opinion? Wonder if i could line interior with absorbant film to help with resonance and standing waves. Mat have wrong idea about resonance.
Old 28th January 2011, 08:07 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Here is an example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glassLarge18.jpg (50.0 KB, 234 views)
Old 28th January 2011, 08:53 PM   #43
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Buzz, what would you use for stuffing? Or would you opt to not use any at all. It would be nice to strip the sheathing of some solid core copper and make perfect bends on it to show it through the glass window. Just a thought. I always thought dark walnut and raw copper looked fantastic together. Adding some glass to the mix would make it that much more attractive IMO.
Old 28th January 2011, 08:59 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Check out the picture. I was thinking of back-lighting it, or at least having the option. No fill would probably be very hard to pull off. It may not even work because of the nature of the glass. I will try. I can assure you of that. I was even thinking of part wood/part glass.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:01 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Check out the picture. I was thinking of back-lighting it, or at least having the option. No fill would probably be very hard to pull off. It may not even work because of the nature of the glass. I will try. I can assure you of that. I was even thinking of part wood/part glass.
What about wood sides and frosted front/rear? You get white stuffing and you should be able to put it in without seeing it and can still secure it to the sides of the cabinet at least. LED lighting would look very trick with some nice wood sides ...
Old 28th January 2011, 09:07 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

The damping is a functional part of the design, they don't work without it. Assuming you want something that is listenable that is.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:17 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
Mark, i found links of my primary gear:

CDP, Sony CDP-X707ES & CDP-777ESJ on TVK
Amp, 6moons audio reviews: Fi 45 Stereo "Prototype"
*note i have the 2A3 stereo version not the 45 prototype featured.
I alternate between JJ 2A3-40 and Shuguang treasure black bottle 2A3-Z power tubes.
Additional gear:
B&K solid state preamp i only use when i need the phono stage for the primary system, otherwise i use my HH Scott 222c int amp for vinyl. I run the Fi 2A3 amp direct via the X707ES variable output option.
Speaker wire: Kimber 8tc
Hi Mp3,
You've got some very nice gear. Hang on the the Sony 707 (I have a yummy all Japan 333EX). The Fi amp should also be nice but its only 3 watts per channel (by the way, I have matched 3 sets of vintage 2a3 tubes).

We need to relate all these factors to room size. Can you give dimensions and details:

1 - length X width X height?
2 - How many walls with glass windows?
3 - Brief description of how the room's set out (eg. you want speaks to go on the long wall, in each corner, small or big sofa centrally positioned etc.)
4 - Listening distance (how far away from the speaks will you sit)?

Don't rush to buy 10.2' or 12's just yet. Let's sort out getting all the factors working for you. Speaker selection is best done when all the audio elements are fully evaluated.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 28th January 2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: additional
Old 28th January 2011, 09:21 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
The damping is a functional part of the design, they don't work without it. Assuming you want something that is listenable that is.
Scottmoose,
what do you think of the glass idea? I like the idea of front face being glass, but it would seem this is the worse place in terms of its inherent weaknesses.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:25 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Here is an example.
Hi Buzz,
Should work OK if the glass is thick enough. I'd suggest using the "smoked" glass (like coffee table) with white polyfill. The big thing will be getting the joints to look nice. Think about creating a wood frame to inset the glass. Done nicely, could look ubber nice.
Cheers

Mark.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:31 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavHaal View Post
Hi from the cold north!
Just a quick look at my project - there will be a new tread after the weekend with more pics!
Spkr have been warming up through the night - sounds VERY prom.....
Olav
Nice work Olav,
More pics.....

Cheers
Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!