Pensil 10.2 or 12 wrt bass extention? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 26th January 2011, 11:27 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavHaal View Post
Hi All!
Thanks Mark for your beatiful Driver(alp10.2) I am soon finished with my building - 17-18 liter Ported with the new driver. Must run them in through the weekend - and then I will know the sound. Last autumn I built a Fonken with fr125sr/ert26 - and I wonder how can anything be better than this revealing couple(Fonken). Very excited about this new project.
Have lots of pics if it is of any interest!
Greating
Olav
Hello Olav,
Would be great to see your Alp10.2 project.
I recommend starting a new thread. "Alpair 10.2 in 17 litre BR" could be a good title. Please feel free to post plans, pics and any information on the build.
Cheers
Mark.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:11 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Hi again!

Sure will do Mark.

Mostly finished now - missing support under speaker and front/cover to flush mount driver in my style!
The Alp10.2 is on their first Run-In with Cara Dillon softly with24/96 from the Opera House Belfast!
Sound is quiet for the moment - but distinct and clear!!

Be back in a couple of days with photos and some schetches. If I manage to get Word to draw it as I plan!

Olav
Old 27th January 2011, 02:37 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

This is great input on this thread. I'm really leaning toward the 12's and REALLY like the SuperPensil12 (size not an issue at all, my wife will think these are small ) or the Woden Solstice. I might go for the simpler SuperPensil if this is where I choose to go. I'd love to see any pics of the event if possible Mark!

Olav, can't wait to see your pics and sketches as well

Scott
Old 27th January 2011, 03:24 PM   #24
StevenZ is offline StevenZ  United States
diyAudio Member

Sub'd. After reading this I'm definitely in. I will be purchsing a pair of 10.2's in the next couple days as my room is only 10' x 10' and I believe it will be more than enough output to fill it. Thanks for the outstanding support Mark, like said in an earlier post. It's guys like you that really make a company great.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 27th January 2011, 06:47 PM   #25
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, i was so close to pulling the trigger on the 12's till i realized i had to run out and get new alpine ski boots between the low in our foot and a half snow storm yesterday/last night followed by using my xc skies out of my house around the neighborhood last night and reading these latest post.
With no disrespect, whats the deal with the 12 being described as cold and analytical to the 10.2's warmth, i.e., those attributes make me think of bright in your face detail. Usually result of dips and rises in fq resp xross the bw. Whats more alarming to me about that is in most all cases when i read of a speaker review describing such, they are sibilant too! One thing i cant deal with is vocal sibilants. And then two forum members put A12's up for sale not long after purchase really put a cramp in my trigger finger, so to speak.
I'm starting to think i should forget about the greater bw of the A12 and higher sensitivity for use with my Fi 2A3 set amp, throw caution to the wind and go with the A10.2 rather then the A12.
A little help, i don't know if my hunch is correct or if i'm over reacting based on the years of hanging out in hifi shops auditioning everything, $tereophile shows, and the past phila audio society events. To whats out there in this application range/waf available plans (ty Scott L.), and affordability/quality it's obvious your drivers are worth having but i'm really confused here.
Old 27th January 2011, 09:25 PM   #26
Swifty is offline Swifty  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Well, I just ordered all the bits and pieces. Even a biscuit jointer :-) I'm getting the wood this Saturday. This is going to be fun!
Old 27th January 2011, 09:31 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
Well, I just ordered all the bits and pieces. Even a biscuit jointer :-) I'm getting the wood this Saturday. This is going to be fun!
Nice! So you're doing the 10.2 Pensils? Be sure to make a thread about it, consider me subscribed
Old 27th January 2011, 10:10 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
Ok, i was so close to pulling the trigger on the 12's till i realized i had to run out and get new alpine ski boots between the low in our foot and a half snow storm yesterday/last night followed by using my xc skies out of my house around the neighborhood last night and reading these latest post.
With no disrespect, whats the deal with the 12 being described as cold and analytical to the 10.2's warmth, i.e., those attributes make me think of bright in your face detail. Usually result of dips and rises in fq resp xross the bw. Whats more alarming to me about that is in most all cases when i read of a speaker review describing such, they are sibilant too! One thing i cant deal with is vocal sibilants. And then two forum members put A12's up for sale not long after purchase really put a cramp in my trigger finger, so to speak.
I'm starting to think i should forget about the greater bw of the A12 and higher sensitivity for use with my Fi 2A3 set amp, throw caution to the wind and go with the A10.2 rather then the A12.
A little help, i don't know if my hunch is correct or if i'm over reacting based on the years of hanging out in hifi shops auditioning everything, $tereophile shows, and the past phila audio society events. To whats out there in this application range/waf available plans (ty Scott L.), and affordability/quality it's obvious your drivers are worth having but i'm really confused here.
Hi Mp9,
Ummmmmmph......."with no disrespect"?

Clearly you've got issues with audio and have a particular sound in mind. I'm often asked to give my own view on the sound character of Markaudio drivers. I rarely do so, preferring to seek the opinions of listening groups and beta testers, encouraging them to reflect their thinking on this forum. I'm regularly told I concentrate too much on the "engineering" aspects of the drivers. So I guess I'll never win on this one.

"Rises and dips X BW". Check the various threads on Markaudio section of the forum and you'll find the answer this this one.

"sibilant". Please explain to me why you think this issue relates only to the driver?

"Bright in you face detail?" So what exactly are you trying to do? Are you making a system? What's your source (CD's and CD player?, DAC, Computer, downloaded music?). What are your musical tastes? Room, how big and how damped?

Last time I looked at myself in the mirror, I'm a fella who's produced 50,000 drivers to date so I must be doing something right. So talk about what you're trying to achieve in terms of your system, project build and musical tastes, I'm sure help is at hand.

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 28th January 2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: additional
Old 27th January 2011, 10:26 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Mark,
Perhaps you misread his statement. I don't think he has actually heard any of your drivers. Just trying to decide. I just got some 10.2's ordered and cannot wait to hear them!

Last edited by buzzforb; 27th January 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 28th January 2011, 12:29 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Mark,
Perhaps you misread his statement. I don't think he has actually heard any of your drivers. Just trying to decide. I just got some 10.2's ordered and cannot wait to hear them!
Hi buzz,
I think you're right, Mp9 hasn't heard the Alps. I do understand Mp9's feelings and frustration. I went through this myself, gave up buying commercial drivers, started making my own. But solely concentrating on driver selection won't be enough. I can help him (I hope along with others on the forum). My worry for Mp9 is too much focus on the driver rather than seeing it as part of whole project/system build.

All the best with your project. I think you'll enjoy the 10.2's. Hoping you can post some pics and let folks know how you're getting along with your project.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 28th January 2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: additional

Hide this!Advertise here!