Pensil 10.2 or 12 wrt bass extention? - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 2nd February 2011, 02:43 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Scott,
Think you had an interesting weekend. I know Melody from their earlier days as the factory was close to mine. The fit and finish on Melody's cases is excellent. One note of moderate caution. There's allot of Chinese commercially produced amps that are good value for money but there are limits on component quality. Thats why I've gravitated towards those members on the DIY forum who are smaller component/amp makers. Usually, these guys search for the really good components and have taken time to work on circuit design. Their priorities are mostly centered on pure acoustic performance rather that keeping the bank manager and share holders happy. I'm not criticising commercially built amps as for the most part they offer good value. But I am recommending doing plenty of research prior to any tube (and solid state) amp purchase. There are super bargains out there.

Moving on to your system development (Super Pencil 12) did you see Graham's pages?:

Graham's hifi page
Pensil 12 and B&W Matrix 802

Graham's experience is really interesting. He moved away from B&W 802's to Pencil 12's (front left and right + centre) and Alpair 7's at the rear. His system is a stereo/HT system, switching between Ella KT88 and a Denon HT receiver.

Cheers

Mark.
Mark,

The Melody gear was at my house for a GTG that I hosted for my friend who is the Melody importer for the US (Hugh with Angel City Audio). I got the benefit of being able to listen to these amps without having to pay for them

I have definitely seen Graham's pages and actually started a thread about Pensil Pics and Graham's were the first ones I linked to Very nice looking speakers!

I will take a look again at his system/review and see if I can gain any more insight. It doesn't seem like these (Pensils) are used as mains in a HT based system very often ...

Scott

Last edited by markaudio; 10th January 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 2nd February 2011, 04:29 PM   #112
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
...10.2's rectangle wire winding eliminates any small gaps inside its winding. ...The rectangle coil is more electro-mechancically efficient. its impedance response is slightly flatter than the Alp12
..."what do I up-grade ...most likely the coil for the Alp12 will follow the design of the Alp10.2.
Hello again Mark, i'm jumping the gun here but recall something about sensitivity of the different wire windings from past discussions. So i'm wondering if in general a A12/rectangular wire windings would be the same as the current version or see a gain or lose of sensitivity?
Btw, sounds like the best of the A10.2 combined with the best attributes of the A12, i'm betting it'll be a killer driver, cant wait!
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:49 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Just received the new Pensil 10.2 cabinets from logistics. Very exicting. Thanks for the works and efforts of manufacturer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P10.2-01.jpg (801.1 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg P10.2-06.jpg (793.7 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg P10.2-02.jpg (801.3 KB, 240 views)
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:53 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musik007 View Post
Just received the new Pensil 10.2 cabinets from logistics. Very exicting. Thanks for the works and efforts of manufacturer.
What's that speaker in the background with the Ebony wood and the grill?
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:57 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

The new design of Pensil 10.2 cabinet is much deeper than the old Pensil 10's cabinet as Alpair 10.2 pushes more air than Alpair 10.

The dimension of my Pensil 10.2 cabinet is 243Wx411Dx942Hmm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P10.2-05.jpg (792.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:00 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Just put Alpair 10.2 driver onto the cabinet. I'm keen to install and listen the new full range speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P10.2-03.jpg (805.2 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg P10.2-04.jpg (772.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg P10.2-07.jpg (752.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:17 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Mark,
I am breaking in my speakers and have a stupid question. how do i know how hard they are being pushed without some sort of measurement device? I have them playing on very low levels to the point where they are hard to hear with any other noise present. Is this sufficient or can i push them a little more. I can hardly tell the cone is even moving. In your break-in thread you speak of excursion when defining how hard they are being pushed. Is there a way to measure this with any accuracy? THanks!
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:04 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

This is a China made 8-inch paper cone full range driver, using a big TQWT cabinet. It is a high efficient full range driver at 95 dB. On listening and comparing this driver with Mark Pensil 12, Pensil 12 can achieve more balanced sound and deeper bass. There is no enough low range for this 8-inch driver. It is MDF cabinet with ebony veneer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
What's that speaker in the background with the Ebony wood and the grill?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebony-1.jpg (803.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg ebony-4.jpg (833.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg ebony-3.jpg (813.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 3rd February 2011, 01:44 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musik007 View Post
This is a China made 8-inch paper cone full range driver, using a big TQWT cabinet. It is a high efficient full range driver at 95 dB. On listening and comparing this driver with Mark Pensil 12, Pensil 12 can achieve more balanced sound and deeper bass. There is no enough low range for this 8-inch driver. It is MDF cabinet with ebony veneer.
That's my favorite veneer of all time. I used to have a set of Onix Rocket RS450's and the RSC200 center in Ebony. They were built by Sound Art China (SAC), I don't suppose this one of yours is too? The veneer looks exactly the same as what they used to put out.
Old 3rd February 2011, 03:02 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

My cabinets are not from SAC. May stick the ebony veneer from a same source. I like the textures of this black wood much more than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
That's my favorite veneer of all time. I used to have a set of Onix Rocket RS450's and the RSC200 center in Ebony. They were built by Sound Art China (SAC), I don't suppose this one of yours is too? The veneer looks exactly the same as what they used to put out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Till70 ply-06.jpg (817.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Till70 ply-07.jpg (795.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Till70 ply-03.jpg (807.6 KB, 49 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!