Driver/enclosure to complement Alpair 10.2 FR Pensil in a FAST system? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 1st January 2011, 03:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Driver/enclosure to complement Alpair 10.2 FR Pensil in a FAST system?

I'm looking at ideas of adding another Alpair series driver and enclosure on top of the Alpair 10.2 Pensil that I have now.

Will probably run an ESP linkwitz riley crossover to a pair of Tripath digital amps. TK2050 for the Alpair 10.2 and a TA2020 for the higher range drivers.

Any recommendations?

Edwin
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernoise View Post
I'm looking at ideas of adding another Alpair series driver and enclosure on top of the Alpair 10.2 Pensil that I have now.

Will probably run an ESP linkwitz riley crossover to a pair of Tripath digital amps. TK2050 for the Alpair 10.2 and a TA2020 for the higher range drivers.

Any recommendations?

Edwin
Hi Edwin,
So I'm sure, you've got a pair of Pencil 10.2 running? If yes, can you post some pics?
Thanks
Mark.
Old 2nd January 2011, 05:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

Ran for a bit and decided to get the enclosure box veneered. It'll be another week or so before I can get them back. Will post pictures then!

Edwin
Old 2nd January 2011, 10:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Mark,
Ran for a bit and decided to get the enclosure box veneered. It'll be another week or so before I can get them back. Will post pictures then!
Edwin
Hi Edwin,
Is there a particular reason for adding a tweet to the Alp10.2 in Pencil? I've increased the Alp10.2' mid-high output be an average of +3dB over the old driver. From listening events, the Alp10.2 with the rectangle coil become the beta's choice mostly on the increase in mid-high output.

All the same its nice to experiment. I spent time yesterday with Tony at Kenneth's workshop. Kenneth makes transformers and currently runs Fostex 166 with Hi-Vi ribbon tweets:

Mark visited Kenneth's work place

A pretty good effort although there are some challenges with Kenneth's set up. He's running the 166 full range so the set-up is slightly affected by phase conflict with its ribbons. Kenneth has restricted the ribbon's output so they work more as a "top up" on HF output rather than a full-on tweet. I found the set-up most pleasing when the ribbons were disconnected. With no ribbons operating; There's more balance to musical composition, in particular, the pitch of the music was more in keeping with the original music. Kenneth likes adding the tweets for a "brighter sound". The 166's cones were looking a little pale. its possible that these older 166's had been exposed to some sunlight, so the mid-highs were sounding a slightly "dry" and 2 dimensional. Things improved significantly when we swopped to Kenneth's own build pre-amp, very nice effort.

Be interesting to see what you think of Alp10.2 on Tripath. I'm currently running Alp10.2 on Accuphase 308 and Tony's 300B SET. Other local Hong Kong guys are experimenting with vintage Mofset, Class D's and various tube set ups. My knowledge on Tripaths is very limited but if possible, I'd suggest looking for a set-up thats on the "warm" side rather than "sharp". But like all things in audio, its about personal taste.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 2nd January 2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: additional
Old 15th January 2011, 01:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

Apologies for the non response to your detailed reply. Figured, without pictures I'd be just adding noise to the forum.

Finally got the cabs back. Marine ply veneered with Sapele veneer, finished with waterbased polyurethane. I quite like how everything turned out. Pensil cabinets have high wife acceptance factor.

Still a work in progress, I'm currently running Arjen Helder's tube buffer/TA2020 T-amp, LG Hardisk DVD recorder/player into the Alpair 10.2/Pensil. I'm in the midst of building a USB DAC to feed my laptop music files.

Being quite new to hifi and stuff, I won't be able to contribute much input for comparisons but coming from the system I was running, KEF Coda 9.2, Alesis RA-100 amp and Marantz CD5000, this new setup is so much more detailed and clear. Its like taking a thick curtain off my previous setup.

As for the reason of adding another driver/electronic crossover, I guess there is no strong reason other than why not? DIY is becoming quite affordable to be able to experiment and experience.

All in all, I'm very pleased with what I have now and looking forward to the addition of dedicated DAC.

Edwin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (367.2 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg Left.jpg (362.8 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg Right.jpg (336.9 KB, 637 views)
Old 15th January 2011, 04:48 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
Hi Edwin,
Is there a particular reason for adding a tweet to the Alp10.2 in Pencil?
Mark,

The title says FAST, so i expect the tweeter would be another A10.2 or A7 XOed below 300 hz.

dave
Old 15th January 2011, 07:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Edwin,
You've made a great looking system. Reminds me of Graham's A12 stereo/HT set up:

Graham's hifi page

Glad you're enjoying the experience.

Mark

Last edited by markaudio; 10th January 2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've just bought more polyfill for the cabinet. Stuffed it to the right prescribe amount 0.75 lb/ft3 which translate to around 0.81kg for the Pensil 10.2. Quite packed!

WOW, now the bass is tight and solid. Played Portishead - Dummy and I could actually "feel" the bass while the vocals and instruments remains clear and defined. I'm really impressed with Mark's Alpairs! I wasn't expecting this when I decided to go the full range way.

I'm happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpair 10 pensil polyfill weight.jpg (78.6 KB, 589 views)
Old 17th January 2011, 01:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've just bought more polyfill for the cabinet. Stuffed it to the right prescribe amount 0.75 lb/ft3 which translate to around 0.81kg for the Pensil 10.2. Quite packed!
WOW, now the bass is tight and solid. Played Portishead - Dummy and I could actually "feel" the bass while the vocals and instruments remains clear and defined. I'm really impressed with Mark's Alpairs! I wasn't expecting this when I decided to go the full range way.
I'm happy.
Many thanks Souther,
We also have Scott (member Scottmoose) to thank as he's the brains behind the Pencil design.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 17th January 2011, 03:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

They look great; glad you like them.

Hide this!Advertise here!