New Alpair 5? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 3rd January 2011, 02:50 AM   #11
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

And finally these guys are really popular world wide, but I don't know who makes them:

Products

In particular the Legatia 3 and 3 SE.

You can check out the MSRP as well.

So I think the market is there if you could tap into it. I wish I could be some marketing whiz and get you on the world car audio map and make you millions of dollars...but I'm just an enthusiast who roots for the under dog.
Old 3rd January 2011, 04:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The cheerleading aside, you have to ask yourself is from a business point of view does it make sense to have a 3, 3.5, and a 4" speaker? There has to be a reason why the A5 was discontinued. Was there too much overlap? I don't know the answers to the business side of things. Maybe some of your dealers world wide could better answer this.

For my particular niche market the A5 was awfully attractive...but I am sort of late arriving to the wideband scene.

Too many choices can be a bad thing. Heck I've spent 5 days trying to decide on if I would like the gray or gold coned old A5 the best...and I still can't really make up my mind other than you paired the gold coned version up with the SDX7 on your webpage for a reason.
Old 3rd January 2011, 06:35 AM   #13
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

i like the a5 signature as in very detailed, fast and also forgiving.
there is no harshness, and just the right air.

as for car application, i kept reminding a good friend of mine to use it for his project or competition to create the ultimate solution for the soundstage above the dash.

cheers
henry
Old 3rd January 2011, 07:36 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
The cheerleading aside, you have to ask yourself is from a business point of view does it make sense to have a 3, 3.5, and a 4" speaker? There has to be a reason why the A5 was discontinued. Was there too much overlap? For my particular niche market the A5 was awfully attractive...but I am sort of late arriving to the wideband scene.
Hi Winslow
I haven't discontinued the Alpair 5. I make drivers in batches so as stocks get low (mine and the dealers) we start a build program. The approach also affords me time to improve designs in-between builds. There's allot of choice in driver sizes up to 3" so its a tougher market place for the Alp5. Its sales are steady but slow compared to Alp6 and Alp7.

Many driver offerings can be confusing but it is best for project makers in the long run. It does mean there's a good chance of finding a nice driver to suit a particular project.

Cheers

Mark.
Old 3rd January 2011, 03:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark. I must have misunderstood about the A5's production. Good to know how you do things.
Old 3rd January 2011, 03:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Gold or silver cone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _henry_ View Post
i like the a5 signature as in very detailed, fast and also forgiving.
there is no harshness, and just the right air.

as for car application, i kept reminding a good friend of mine to use it for his project or competition to create the ultimate solution for the soundstage above the dash.

cheers
henry
Old 14th January 2011, 03:34 PM   #17
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,
I'm planning for my home theatre speakers. I'm thinking A7 Pencil for the fronts.
What do you recommand for the Center as well as the Rear sides? A5 or your new 50mm?
I couldn't find much boxes design on A5.
My sitting room is, typically HK size, 2.4M between front and back walls.
Thanks,
Mark L
Old 14th January 2011, 05:49 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLai View Post
Hi Mark,
I'm planning for my home theatre speakers. I'm thinking A7 Pencil for the fronts.
What do you recommand for the Center as well as the Rear sides? A5 or your new 50mm?
I couldn't find much boxes design on A5.
My sitting room is, typically HK size, 2.4M between front and back walls.
Thanks,
Mark L

I'm playing right now with exactly such a configuration - A7 for L/R mains and center. I have a couple of pairs of enclosures with A7 at the moment, but only 1 is Pensil - so I'm temporarily using one of those laid on its side under the 47" screen.
As most modern surround receivers have a great deal of flexibility of XO freq / EQ settings for individual channels, you can probably get away with less than full bandwidth for the center, so much smaller enclosure design than Pensil would most likely be adequate - but I'd definitely recommend the same driver for all 3 main front row channels. It wasn't until I played around with the EQ/level settings that I understood how much information is present in the "true" center channel, and it's the last place I'd want to compromise bandwidth or excursion capability.

Depending on the final number of surround channels (mine can do 7.1 - a world of pain for which I'm not quite ready) smaller drivers such as the CHR70 or Alpair 5 would likely be sufficient for a room your size.

Last edited by chrisb; 14th January 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10th March 2011, 03:30 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

A 90mm version of the A5 would be great. I guess that the HF rise wd need to be tamed for in-car use plus an increase in power handling but the potential is there, the in-car market I'm guessing is much bigger.
Old 12th March 2011, 05:44 AM   #20
MarkLai is offline MarkLai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Chrisb, Bill,
Thanks for the information.
I've decided to buy the Denon AVR1161 recever 5.1 channel. (75W per channel stated)
The spec. does not state to drive 4ohm. (up to 6ohm spec)
For my room size, I prefer CHR70 at the moment for lower cost (the Gen. 3 is coming)
I've other amp/ speaker (most likely a A7 Pencil from Tony) for stereo music enjoyment.
The A/V is for my wife and the girles HT.
I'll gether more information before I kick off the project.

Hide this!Advertise here!