diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Markaudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/)
-   -   Pensil series loudspeakers for small listening room (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/179615-pensil-series-loudspeakers-small-listening-room.html)

Knight Rider 22nd December 2010 12:27 PM

Pensil series loudspeakers for small listening room

Hello!

I have planned to built some simple fullrange loudspeakers during next months. I noticed that Pensil series louspeakers are quite easy to build and offer pretty good sound. But I have a problem; I don't know which model should I choose. Could you please give me any tips/recommendations which Pensil-series loudpeakers should I choose for small listening room (L=4.2m x W=3.3m x H=2.4m)?

I would use finnish plywood (birch) for construction material (density 680 kg/m3). Available thicknesses 15, 18, 21, 24 mm. Which one is best?

Scottmoose 22nd December 2010 03:47 PM

Depends on what you listen to & what you value sonically. If you like small ensembles, folk etc. & don't listen particularly loudly, one of the 4in models should do you fine. If you need greater SPLs / more dynamic range, then whichever happens to be the largest model that fits through your door. ;)

Knight Rider 22nd December 2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottmoose (Post 2407531)
Depends on what you listen to & what you value sonically. If you like small ensembles, folk etc. & don't listen particularly loudly, one of the 4in models should do you fine. If you need greater SPLs / more dynamic range, then whichever happens to be the largest model that fits through your door. ;)

Maybe I should go for the Alpair 10 or even 12 then, because I listen also hard/heavy rock music. :) I prefer a little bit warm sound without any listening fatigue. I have successfully used open baffles with the combination of eminence alpha 15A + tangband w8-1808 drivers. They are based on MJK's worksheets and I like their sound a lot.

It reads on the box plans that 18-20 mm ply is recommended. I guess it's ok if I use birch ply of thickness tolerance 20.0 -20.9 mm? It's the closest match.

Br
Arto

Scottmoose 22nd December 2010 08:23 PM

The material will be OK.

Assuming it's well recorded, you'll need all the dynamic BW you can get for that sort of material, so the A12 will be the least compromised in that regard.

Knight Rider 27th December 2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottmoose (Post 2407791)
The material will be OK.

Assuming it's well recorded, you'll need all the dynamic BW you can get for that sort of material, so the A12 will be the least compromised in that regard.

Thank you so far Scott!

Two more questions:

1) How much space is needed between Pensil 12 and side/front walls?

2) Can I listen in "near field" (~2-2.5 m distance between loudspeaker and listener)?

Br
Arto

markaudio 27th December 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Rider (Post 2412153)
Thank you so far Scott!
Two more questions:
1) How much space is needed between Pensil 12 and side/front walls?
2) Can I listen in "near field" (~2-2.5 m distance between loudspeaker and listener)?
Br
Arto

Hi Arto,
Re your questions, we have small apartments here in Hong Kong. Several pairs of 12's are in corner spaces within 7 to 10 CM in corners of rooms. They play well. Likewise on listening distance, 2 to 2.5 M works fine.

Most of the guys here operate Alp12's in these smaller environments with lower power tube amps. In my case, one of Tony Wong's 8 watt 300B SET amps does a nice job. You like a "warmer" sound so I'd suggest a tube amp for your set up. Older MOFSETS and possibly some of the new class D's may also work but you won't need allot of power in a small room situation.

Also, check out your source component (CD player etc). Since you're closer to the drivers, they will reveal detail. You'll need a good component and descent quality music recordings. Not so critical for your rock music as outputs will be higher, but classical, female vocals, softer jazz etc will be will do well on Alp12's if the recordings are audiophile grade.

Scott may have more specific advice and information.

Cheers

Mark.

Knight Rider 28th December 2010 11:40 AM

Thank you guys!

Can you also give me an estimation what is the -6db point for bass extension (both pensil/superpensil 12)?

markaudio 29th December 2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knight Rider (Post 2412912)
Thank you guys!
Can you also give me an estimation what is the -6db point for bass extension (both pensil/superpensil 12)?

From my memory its 46Hz for Pencil and 40Hz for Super-Pencil (these figs might be -3dB). Scott will know, think he's still on the Christmas hols.

Cheers

Mark.

Scottmoose 29th December 2010 09:00 AM

About that; in practice of course the room dominates what you will actually get.

Knight Rider 29th December 2010 05:51 PM

Hello!

Have you guys compared what is the difference (bass quality/amount) between double bass reflex studio monitors and pensils?

Br
Arto