Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 8th March 2011, 10:45 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Hello!

Could you please give me any instructions how to fill the inside of the Pensil 12 cabinet with Polyester fiber? I have a feeling that my cabinets are maybe too full of this material. The cabinets are maybe not breathing as they should. Should I use folded plate material?
Old 8th March 2011, 09:45 PM   #52
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Loose polyfluff -- well teased and as uniform as possible -- is what you want. Fill the entire cabinet (you can leave as much as the bottom 1/3rd of the box free of fluff if that is what it takes to get the bottom you need, very often only to the top of the vent is done for cosmetic purposes.

Every room and taste (and qualities of the polyfluff used) will have a bit different need to achieve optimum... why the back is removeable. On P7 we started with the specifies amount and ended up taking out about a third of it.

dave
Old 9th March 2011, 12:41 PM   #53
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Knight Rider,

Pls get your stuffing amount right and give us some more listening impressions.
Old 10th March 2011, 05:56 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Knight Rider,

Pls get your stuffing amount right and give us some more listening impressions.

Hello!

Maybe about 500 grams (or a little bit less) is the optimum amount of stuffing for me. Then I'm happy with the lower bass region. But unfortunately I'm still not happy with the overall sound. I'm not sure what is wrong, maybe the lower mid range area is too thin and the midrange area is boosting too much. This is a little bit strange for me, because I haven't had this kind of problems with earlier loudspeakers.
Old 14th March 2011, 08:24 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Hello!

I did couple of measurements yesterday, to check if there are any problems in frequency responce. According to those measurements there are no big issues. What you think about those small "hills" (blue graph) around 500-600 hz and >1 khz? Are they shouting to my ears?
Attached Images
File Type: png Pensil 12.png (31.4 KB, 205 views)
File Type: png Port.png (30.1 KB, 192 views)
Old 14th March 2011, 10:52 AM   #56
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I wouldn't worry

dave
Old 14th March 2011, 12:29 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

sitting a little off axis should help if the highs are too much........

Box stuffing is tricky, you can change it 3 or 4 times before you decide to forget about it.

Looks like you can get them closer to a wall, add some baffle step, try a much wider box, or play with eq. I getting to be a believer in wide baffles (2' or 61cm).

Norman
Old 14th March 2011, 01:52 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Hmm. No real step-loss indicated in those plots, which show a pretty flat (it's not half bad for an FR based speaker) response to ~5KHz where the A12 begins to peak up. They wouldn't really benefit a great deal from a wider baffle in this sense as driver & box are largely self-correcting, although in terms of wavelaunch & edge diffraction it will obviously be different to a narrower baffle cabinet.

The A12 was designed to be listened to slightly off-axis, as is also indicated in the above plots, along with those from Mark & the Japanese magazine measures, so sitting off axis (about 10 degrees) as noted by Norman is a good move.
Old 14th March 2011, 03:06 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

About port tuning: is it normal behaviour that it boosts also ~200 hz? The graph may also show some diffraction from Alpair element, so it's maybe not absolutely correct.
Old 14th March 2011, 04:05 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's doing what it's designed to do.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 14th March 2011 at 04:16 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!