Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Markaudio

Markaudio Designers and builders of audiophile grade drivers

Old 28th February 2011, 10:01 PM   #31
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Hello!

I have now played about 80 h with pretty low/ moderate volumes, and I have noticed lots of progression happening. Sound is maybe more "open" and tones are more realistic. Wonderful sounding loudspeakers with right kind of good material, for example Diana Krall's "From this moment on" CD is sounding very impressive. But unfortunately, these loudspeakers are not for the todays rock/pop music.

What do you mean for this? That the speakers can't handle well the sound, or that show quickly any defect in the source? I listen a lot of today music too, so i want to know if these speakers are aproppiate for this.
Old 28th February 2011, 10:21 PM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxs View Post
...or that show quickly any defect in the source?
That.

dave
Old 28th February 2011, 10:33 PM   #33
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

let's not forget that to each his own poison - the compressed, auto-tuned noise that passes for some of today's pop / rock music is exactly what the target demographic (thinks they) are looking for
Old 1st March 2011, 04:54 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What do you mean for this? That the speakers can't handle well the sound, or that show quickly any defect in the source? I listen a lot of today music too, so i want to know if these speakers are aproppiate for this.
Hello!

I wouldn't recommend Pensil 12 for the heavily compressed music (hard rock/heavy metal, etc). There are better loudspeakers for that purpose. Pensils are wonderful loudspeakers with good source material, right kind of equipments, and are best suited for jazz, blues, classical, vocals, small ensembles... That's my opinion after 120 hours of listening.
Old 2nd March 2011, 01:30 PM   #35
fxs is offline fxs  Chile
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Hello!

I wouldn't recommend Pensil 12 for the heavily compressed music (hard rock/heavy metal, etc). There are better loudspeakers for that purpose. Pensils are wonderful loudspeakers with good source material, right kind of equipments, and are best suited for jazz, blues, classical, vocals, small ensembles... That's my opinion after 120 hours of listening.
and how loud they can play? mi concern is, in general, you can raise the volume with "normal" drivers and if it starts to sound distorted, you know they aren't handle the volume and you can lower the volume to safe levels(without major harm to the drivers). but i'm afraid that with the alps in general, when you raise the volume and it starts to sound distorted, it's because you already break the driver, and you'll have to buy another one .

Last edited by fxs; 2nd March 2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 2nd March 2011, 05:49 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and how loud they can play? mi concern is, in general, you can raise the volume with "normal" drivers and if it starts to sound distorted, you know they aren't handle the volume and you can lower the volume to safe levels(without major harm to the drivers). but i'm afraid that with the alps in general, when you raise the volume and it starts to sound distorted, it's because you already break the driver, and you'll have to buy another one .
I haven't tested their ability to play loud. I think it's not a problem. They will play loud enough at least for my purposes.

I'm only a little bit concerned about the tonal balance of the sound. When I'm playing my best records (highest quality), the balance is ok. Then there is adequate bass and everything is sounding amazing. When I'm playing something with a little bit "dry" bass, I would like to get more bass boost(more warmer sound). Next I will try some tube rolling in order to get more warmer sound. Arcam is maybe a slightly thin sounding cd-player, but I like it because it's very detailed and clean sounding.
Old 2nd March 2011, 08:10 PM   #37
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Scott,

Looks you have solved the mystery of the thin sounding Iron Maiden album for me - I popped in my Powerslave CD (1998 Remaster) the other day and oh my goodness... kind of dry even on my 3 way speakers... same for Somewhere in Time... I had a cassette recording of the albums previosuly... don't remember the mix being like this. Now I see all my Maiden CDs are remasters ... not good for me. What have I been buying?

-Zia
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:17 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I'm still thinking alpair 12's will work for movies once you are beyond needing bass that hits you in the chest.

I rewatched "the cube" 1 and 2 over the last 2 nights, and noticed I had a hard time understanding dialog (running off of the left channel out of the dvd player with my dual 15" and horn 2-way crossed at 750hz)). When I ran my dual 4" wide open, dialog was excellent and I got more from the movies because you could pick up on actors going "huh" and "mmm" in reaction to what is happening on screen The full rangers didn't make you concentrate to hear everything that is going on in the dialog department.

If you listen loud (like you have to raise your voice to talk to someone), have a big room, dance club music, or holst the planets, then you will need bass assistance, especially if you sit more than 5' from the speakers.

Norman
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:44 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Scott,
Looks you have solved the mystery of the thin sounding Iron Maiden album for me - I popped in my Powerslave CD (1998 Remaster) the other day and oh my goodness... kind of dry even on my 3 way speakers... same for Somewhere in Time... I had a cassette recording of the albums previosuly... don't remember the mix being like this. Now I see all my Maiden CDs are remasters ... not good for me. What have I been buying?
-Zia
Hi Zia, Guys,
I've long wrestled with errant CD's. Drives me nuts when CD's are so called "re-mastered" only to find they're over-compressed. From my memory Bob Brines has also lamented this trend, along with a growing number of DIyers.

My time in Japan last year was very interesting. There's a big studio recording scene in Tokyo. Many audio guys here in HK search out (even fly out) to get hold of Tokyo produced recordings. I've been using "Air Jazz - Tokyo 2006 (Label: Zain Japan, ASIN: B000NVTHJG) for part of my Gen. 2 listening tests. It's got allot of "live" concert material on it, all well-balanced.

I've held onto my old Sony CDP-33EX CD player. Its warm and helps to tame errant CD's. At home I'm using an old Accuphase DP65 (1993), also does this job superbly. Of interest, the DP65 uses Sony's uber-fab R1 transport. The Sony CD player model range can be confusing but usually the 3's, 5's and 7 EX's are worth looking if they are the "all Japan" models using their "G" chassis. These units were superbly built in the early-mid 1990's. Any of these CD players should help "smooth" out re-masters.

In essence guys, search out the decent recordings (old and new). Don't assume that all re-mastered CD's are going to be wonderful. The best of the bunch should be JVC's XRCD. Expensive buy usually excellent.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41w72w4pDLL._SS500_.jpg (22.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg SONY_CDP_X33ES[89]59,800Y.11.5Kg.jpg (81.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg jvchyper.jpg (11.1 KB, 192 views)

Last edited by markaudio; 2nd March 2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 3rd March 2011, 01:15 AM   #40
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
...bass that hits you in the chest.
That is the job of the subwoofers.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!